Thread: Day 5: Pain, flatulence, belching page

Humburger is online now Junior Member

Day 5: Pain, flatulence, belching

Greetings! This is my first post. I started the 21-day challenge (sorta) this past Saturday. It went well, except for one nausea episode a few days ago. I was starting to feel better, things were "moving" better (bowels and joints), and I was not hungry or craving anything. Today, after lunch (roasted broccoli, brussels sprouts, and onions with kippers and an apple) I started having pain and it turned out to be gas. That was the first since I have started this. It can't have been the lunch, so maybe it was the breakfast (soup made from chicken broth, chicken meat, kale, green beans, sweet potato, tomatoes, coconut oil, olive oil, parsley, salt, pepper, turmeric, cumin, sage, garlic powder, and onion powder, and a ladle-full of leftover tomato/meat sauce mixed in for good measure). For supper, last night, I had a 3-egg fritata with bacon, spinach, and gouda and an apple.

Am I getting too many carbs? I thought I was right in the 50-100 range.

I am 300 lbs, not able to do a whole lot of activity, but, yesterday, started walking (outside and on the treadmill) and some mild rebounding and bouncing on the exercise ball (I have one that can take the weight). Could that be it?

I don't want to do this wrong. I need to lose this weight. I have so many problems, it is too long to list. I have tried so many things in the past, including veganism, etc. I want this to work. I am female, 51 years old, and appear to be approaching menopause, if that means anything. (I know, it means EVERYTHING right now!)

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Last edited by Humburger; 12-17-2014 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Misspelling

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Those meals look good. Any sudden nutrition change will shift the gut population and might confuse their customary fuels (example: some bacteria species feed on gaseous molecules produced by others before they accumulate and escape). These relationships should stabilize over time--try sticking with similar meals until day 21 then evaluate.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

blondiegreen is online now Senior Member
    Broccoli, onions, Brussels sprouts & apples can all be gassy foods. Probably just had too many at one time.
    Normal for your gut to adjust to new foods.
    Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
    34yrs old, 5'5"
    CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
    GW: 135lbs or less
    Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    is this a radical shift in your diet? brussel sprouts, kale and broccoli can be notoriously difficulty to digest.

go easy with the greens and cruciferous veg. no need to blow out your bowels!
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Thank you, everyone. I tend to get too enthusiastic when I get going on something. It must be the veggies. The pain has subsided. It didn't last as long as it used to when I was eating high carbs. It was chronic and horrible! I think I will start a journal on this forum...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blondiegreen View Post
    Broccoli, onions, Brussels sprouts & apples can all be gassy foods. Probably just had too many at one time.
    Normal for your gut to adjust to new foods.
    +1 on this. Also the kale could be rough right now.

I don't know if this would help, but I think just over a year ago, I went through a short period of digestive upset. I ate foods that I mentally called baby food. Ruminants (mostly ground), eggs, yogurt, and mild cheeses. Rice and bananas in small portions. The first group totally have a nice amount of fat all on their own. I felt better pretty quickly, but maybe since this is new for you, you could add back things more slowly.

Good luck!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Hehe, your lunch was a fiber / prebiotic fest
    If your gut flora is not adapted to such regime, you'll be "notified" by it ...
    Go easy on prebiotic foods to start with. They are often part of the FODMAPS. I think naturally occurring FODMAPS are healthy but when your gut is not up to them (dysbiosis, or some other issue), you (the host of the flora) will feel it as bloating, belly pain, etc. One has to introduce FODMAPS easy. If you happen to have a condition called SIBO, you will have to think about it more seriously.

The only part of that last post that I understood was fiber and prebiotics. What is FODMAPS, dysbiosis, and SIBO?

Thanks.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    FODMAPs
    SIBO

Dysbiosis measn that you have a gut ecology that has become unbalanced due to overgrowth of some bacterial or yeast strains, crowding out other strains that are known to be beneficial for proper gut function. A single meal can shift the balance. usually it is fine but when you feel much more bloating or pain / cramps / soft (TMI) you know that something got out of balance. Example: a typical low-carber on the carnivore side of the spectrum would not eat much plant matter and would get very low soluble fibers (fermentable carbs actually). The gut ecology that depend on these fibers would starve. Some yeasts could then take over the place due to e.g. a rather neutral or slightly elevated colonic pH. Proper colonic fermentation would yield a slightly acidic environment which would prevent such take-over by pathogenic stuff. Anyway, if our low-carber suddenly ate a very prebiotic-rich meal, you can be sure that something would happen down there ...

SIBO is much worse: it is when some colonic bacteria end up in your upper gut (the place where you digest the food for yourself). Fermentation takes place where it should not, and you would feel it almost instantly after a meal. Your stomach area would look bloated (pregrant) and you'd be in pain due to gas.
    Last edited by FrenchFry; 12-18-2014 at 04:39 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you.