Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mum keeps getting breast lumps! page

Mike10 is offline Junior Member

Mum keeps getting breast lumps!

Thrive Market
    Hi All,

My mum is 47 and has for the last year or so small lumps have been appearing on her breasts. I seem to remember a few years ago she had an issue with her thyroid however it ended up being nothing after she was initially concerned...I think it was just a small lump that went away.

She has private insurance through my dad's work and they diagnosed in January 2014 that it wasn't cancer however they didn't give her an answer as to what it was. The last 12 months the she's in this cycle where she goes to the hospital, they check/drain the lumps, they grow back, and in a few months the cycle repeats itself. If she leaves them she says they grow hard and start to hurt.

They don't appear to be offering her any sort of diagnosis or treatment ideas i.e diet based or supplements, or testing anything to see if she has any sort of imbalances. They just drain them and say goodbye.

Does anyone have any input or ideas on what could be causing this and best cause of action? Someone she knows has been diagnosed with breast cancer and apparently the doctor told her it was stress related so now she said " I'm going to ask him if it's stress related" which wound me up a bit.

She doesn't really eat a lot of food, however does follow a mainly healthy diet without being either unhealthy or largely health obsessed i.e a typical day is started with quite a poor breakfast something like toast and jam, following by a tuna or smoked salmon type of lunch with a potato, meat type of dinner.

Any advice would be helpful.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    With no studies to link to, I'll just say I have read a bit about iodine being effective for treatment of breast lumps. Perhaps you can do some searching on your own and find a correlation.
    Journal
    Current interests - CrossFit

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    It kinda sounds like a cystic process. If that's the case, it can be hormonally cyclic. Avoiding caffeine can help greatly. They can get very painful but don't always have to be drained.
    Interesting that they haven't given her clearer answers or even given any preventative advice if they do have an idea of what's going on.
    Has she gotten any second opinions?
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    breast cysts are not uncommon and if the doc is draining them, clearly they are not tumors. cysts in the breast are most often benign and can be hormonally-related. it can be annoying but is nothing to worry about. my mom had them off and on til she finished menopause.

she may want to get her d-levels checked as an insufficiency there can wreak hormonal havoc.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Thanks....Caffeine wise she doesn't take too much, a couple of cups of tea and maybe a home coffee machine coffee, but I'll mention it. I don't think she's had any second opinion's, I think originally they told her it was nothing to worry about, and when they appear again, she goes back, I think they check to make sure it's nothing serious and then send her upstairs to have them drained, and as mentioned there doesn't seem to be any advice what so ever about the possible cause and any other advice. I think they did mention it was hormonal originally.

She actually went to the regular doctor the other day to ask if there was anyway they could check if she was going through the menopause because of her mood/feelings etc but the two haven't been linked and she actually left the doctor without knowing anything more about the menopause because the doctor went more down the route of "Have you thought of ending it" (i.e her life) which I thought was a ridiculous question to ask to someone who went in asking if they were going through the menopause....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike10 View Post

She actually went to the regular doctor the other day to ask if there was anyway they could check if she was going through the menopause because of her mood/feelings etc but the two haven't been linked and she actually left the doctor without knowing anything more about the menopause because the doctor went more down the route of "Have you thought of ending it" (i.e her life) which I thought was a ridiculous question to ask to someone who went in asking if they were going through the menopause....
    WTF? are you sure they didn't mean a hysterectomy? this cannot be what the doctor actually said. does she (or you) not know how to use google? ya, know, start with "breast cysts"...

at your mother's age she is at least peri-menopausal so all bets are off with what the hell her body decides to do.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike10 View Post
    She doesn't really eat a lot of food, however does follow a mainly healthy diet without being either unhealthy or largely health obsessed i.e a typical day is started with quite a poor breakfast something like toast and jam, following by a tuna or smoked salmon type of lunch with a potato, meat type of dinner.

Any advice would be helpful.
    Mike, I'm not a doctor, and this isn't medical advice. But as a general observation, many cancers depend on glucose for fuel. The Nobel Laureate Otto Warburg is the one who discovered this.

Warburg hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are a couple of recent posts over at Richard David Feinman's site on cancer that you may want to look at:

Targeting insulin inhibition as a metabolic therapy in advanced cancer | Richard David Feinman

Targeting insulin inhibition as a metabolic therapy in advanced cancer. Part 2. The hypothesis. | Richard David Feinman

The word "ketosis" now seems to have become a dirty word in paleo circles -- for no good reason, although a lot of very bad ones have been made up. The movement needs to get over this, or it will come home to roost, the low-carb movement likely gradually coming to eclipse it, after taking on board anything that is useful from it.

Vinnie Tortorich the Hollywood trainer now recovering from cancer said the one piece of advice his oncologist gave was: "Don't eat sugar."

Suffice to say, if I had any close brushes with cancer I would not be eating toast and jam for breakfast. Nor would I be eating potatoes: instead I'd eat leafy greens and put a heck of a lot of butter on them. I'd go low carb, and preferably very low carb.

I'm not saying I think this is a cure, and I'm certainly not saying it would be an alternative to treatments suggested by a hospital. And in any case anyone should run any dietary plans past his or her doctor. I'm just saying that if it were me I would not be eating sugar (think jam) or stuff that turns into it in the body (think toast and potatoes).

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    WTF? are you sure they didn't mean a hysterectomy? this cannot be what the doctor actually said. does she (or you) not know how to use google? ya, know, start with "breast cysts"...

at your mother's age she is at least peri-menopausal so all bets are off with what the hell her body decides to do.

Nope, definitely meant ending her life. She said she went in there wanting to know if she was going through the menopause and cited somethings like mood swings etc and that's what the doctor asked. My mum obviously said no but I reacted slightly more because I thought it was a stupid thing to say.

And yeah, we've had a look on Google but just thought I would ask around for any advice/experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Mike, I'm not a doctor, and this isn't medical advice. But as a general observation, many cancers depend on glucose for fuel. The Nobel Laureate Otto Warburg is the one who discovered this.

Warburg hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are a couple of recent posts over at Richard David Feinman's site on cancer that you may want to look at:

Targeting insulin inhibition as a metabolic therapy in advanced cancer | Richard David Feinman

Targeting insulin inhibition as a metabolic therapy in advanced cancer. Part 2. The hypothesis. | Richard David Feinman

The word "ketosis" now seems to have become a dirty word in paleo circles -- for no good reason, although a lot of very bad ones have been made up. The movement needs to get over this, or it will come home to roost, the low-carb movement likely gradually coming to eclipse it, after taking on board anything that is useful from it.

Vinnie Tortorich the Hollywood trainer now recovering from cancer said the one piece of advice his oncologist gave was: "Don't eat sugar."

Suffice to say, if I had any close brushes with cancer I would not be eating toast and jam for breakfast. Nor would I be eating potatoes: instead I'd eat leafy greens and put a heck of a lot of butter on them. I'd go low carb, and preferably very low carb.

I'm not saying I think this is a cure, and I'm certainly not saying it would be an alternative to treatments suggested by a hospital. And in any case anyone should run any dietary plans past his or her doctor. I'm just saying that if it were me I would not be eating sugar (think jam) or stuff that turns into it in the body (think toast and potatoes).
    Appreciate your opinion. My dad works as an area manager for a well known fast food restaurant and I've made some changes to my parent's nightly dinner i.e out went the white pasta and I've encouraged meats, sweet potatoes/white potatoes and veg.

It's open to personal preference however as an athlete I try to eat a diet with unprocessed foods and real foods and these include potatoes, fruit, and some white rice/oats hasn't killed me.

I do take your point in terms of overall health and I know you've covered all carbs as in "don't touch", and I have suggested a better breakfast i.e fruit/lean meat or oats/fruit rather than a couple slices of bread and jam however I don't think this is necessarily the reason and in my opinion leafy greens covered in butter isn't necessarily a solution however I appreciate your comments.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    cysts are NOT cancer.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast