Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Ex-vegans page 6

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfast View Post
    There is a site dedicated to vegan bodybuilding...I won't link to it (Google will find it easily) but some of the physiques over there are pretty impressive.

Also, there are vegan O3 products available which are produced from algae (that's why fish provide us with EPA/DHA - because they eat algae). I'm not trying to argue with you by the way, if it's coming accross like that .
    Nope, not at all

I also want to mention that Jack Lalanne was vegetarian for a while (correct me if I am wrong). He ate all raw foods. But, he then decided to incorporate fish into his diet and stuck with it. He knew fish was lean and provided lots of protein. I have no idea when he added fish, but he did.

So if one is vegan or vegetarian, why not at least add the most cleanest source of animal foods around? Today, there are mercury issues, BUT there are always a few companies that sell fish and seafood where you do NOT have to worry about this at all. Vital Choice comes to mind as one...

However, fish is mighty expensive (unless you fish yourself) and that is why eating chicken beef, hunting deer, etc. is great. I bought 1/2 cow for only $2.88 lb.!!!!!!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

dfast is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    This is a very crucial point that all vegans should know. It's not necessarily that they're going to be short on protein and not necessarily the case that they are going to have inflammation up the ass, but trying to resolve both of these at once is nearly impossible. Highly inflammatory sources of plant protein: soy, beans, hemp, nuts, grains. Flax and chia are not able to balance the inflammation from this and taking more than a bit of them is highly inflammatory itself so there will have to be a reduction in omega 6. Omega 6 restriction is actually a defense against omega 3 deficiency, but to try to get the protein, the omega 6 almost always comes along for the ride. So I would just say to eat some coconut, palm oil, tubers (cooked, silly rawists. Pff), a cup of properly fermented high protein legumes, fiddleheads for a bit of EPA, and algae-based DHA, properly soaked chia seeds, vegetables, fruits, take some supplements, done and done. Basically Kitavans with fish substitutes. That is actually probably healthier than the average omnivore (the average omnivore is the average person and the average person eats crap, and mostly processed junk meats on the protein end). So yes they will be less healthy than on animal-heavy paleo and they will be skinny but at least they will avoid a Lierre Keith situation.
    I didn't know hemp was inflammatory...that's interesting. I guess it IS high in O6, I'd just never thought about that aspect of it. The diet you describe is similar to the diets that a lot of my friends follow, except everyone seems to include a lot of hemp.

Thanks for this post - I will mention it to my friends.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    If they get the protein isolate with 1g or less of the fiber and none of the fat then that is probably fine. Probably. It is naive to assume that plants are more willing to give up their children for a human's dinner than a cow or a buffalo. Either way you get a fight.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    It is naive to assume that plants are more willing to give up their children

Stabbs, that brain of yours is freakin' awesome.♡

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Stabbs, that brain of yours is freakin' awesome.♡
    I agree 100% - simply amazing stuff.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm still checking back to this thread regularly. Still eating tuna/salmon at the moment...might try something different if I feel like it. Dairy I've never really liked anyway so that's fine. Eggs are a tricky...too easy to forget what happens to the male chicks. That's not how things should be (Or happened in Grok's time)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456