Thread: Hi! page

jesserja is offline Junior Member

Post Hi!

Shop Now
    Hi everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Tina and I am from Alberta, Canada. I'm 39 and a mother of 2 girls. I started doing Crossfit about a year ago and totally love it. Along with the exercise I wanted to change my diet so I could optimize my performance and get even stronger. I started looking into the "paleo diet" and then stumbled across this website. I'm totally hooked. I recently ordered the "Primal Blueprint" and also the cookbook. I'm about halfway through reading the Blueprint.

My two biggest issues are that I really like icecream and I really like cookies....I cut out grains and sugar in May (except for about a tsp of sugar in my morning cup of coffee) and was doing fine with eating meats, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds, fats. I also supplement with omega 3's and vitamin d. After about a month I caved and had some icecream followed by cookies. I am mad at myself and am now having to deal with cravings again. Today I am starting again though.

Does substituting honey for sugar in my morning coffee do anything different or is it just the same? Is this what is causing me to still want the sugar later in the day? I usually only have one cup.

Thanks for reading!

shannon is offline Senior Member
    ;welcome! if it's possible i would stay away from the honey as well. your cravings will vanish with less sweets. i notice that i get a sweet tooth from too much fruit. now i only eat some berries here and there. that seems to do the trick. good luck and congrats

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Hi Tina and welcome to the MDA Forum!

Many of us will once in a while do things we wish we hadn't done. I have been guilty of this a few times. I have been primal for 3 months and 1 week and will NEVER look back. Do remember the 80/20 Rule. If you can be primal at least 80% of the time then you are on track to a very healthy, happy and fulfilling life. Of course, the closer you are to 100% the better. Strive for perfection, but understand you will never be perfect and be ok with a few setbacks. Learning from our mistakes is one of the greatest things about life.

Do you buy ice cream and cookies? It may be as simple as just not buying anything you don't want to eat. Honey is better than sugar as it does have some nutrients. I go for wildflower honey. Just add a little and you will be ok.

Good luck and feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions!!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

jesserja is offline Junior Member
    Thanks so much for your comments.

I have not bought ice cream or cookies since my big indulgence with them. The cupboard is bare of those things which is a good thing. The sad thing about it was I polished them off rather than throwing them out... Oh well, that was awhile ago and I've moved on from that.

I have a new resolve to not eat that kind of crap anymore. I know it's true that if you stay away from foods like that for awhile that you no longer crave them. I have been putting about a teaspoon of honey in my morning coffee and am confident that I will soon be able to drink it with only cream added.

I am finding that I'm excited about finding new recipes and things to cook. Last night I made spaghetti squash for the first time ever! A great sub for real spaghetti which I'm sure a lot of you know but for me was a new discovery

Does anyone find that they get frustrated when people ask things like "how long are you gonna be on that diet?"
    Do you ever stop looking at the things others eat and think "how can they be eating that! I can't believe I used to eat like that?!" I think I'm getting a little obsessive about analyzing the things that people are buying at the grocery store. Since I'm new at this I'm still in awe of everything and all the stuff that I have been lead to believe about nutrition in the past.

Harry Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jesserja View Post
    My two biggest issues are that I really like icecream and I really like cookies....I cut out grains and sugar in May (except for about a tsp of sugar in my morning cup of coffee) and was doing fine with eating meats, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds, fats. I also supplement with omega 3's and vitamin d. After about a month I caved and had some icecream followed by cookies. I am mad at myself and am now having to deal with cravings again. Today I am starting again though.

Does substituting honey for sugar in my morning coffee do anything different or is it just the same? Is this what is causing me to still want the sugar later in the day? I usually only have one cup.
    Welcome!

Stop beating yourself up. When you find yourself having ice cream and cookies, smile and enjoy them, then resolve to find recipes here and in the PB cookbook that will substitute for them in the future.

Starting your day with sugar probably does perpetuate craving. Honey is healthier but it has the same effect. Try to learn to like coffee black, or with some heavy cream.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    honey is just another name for sugar. leave it behind.