Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal~Pellegrina page

pellegrina is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Very successful first day!

B-handful of blueberries

2 scrambled cage-free eggs

half avocado

2 cups coffee w/Splenda and milk (I will eventually wean myself off the Splenda, but I'll probably keep the coffee)

S-handful of raw almonds

a bunch of grapes

I also remembered to take my iron pill (I'm anemic-docs can't figure out why), and my CoQ10 supplement (supposedly good for my gum disease). I usually only remember to take these supplements like every third or fourth day.

Here life threw a curve ball...my old clunker van started acting up, and my son suggested that it might qualify for the CARS program, so my husband and I unexpectedly spent the afternoon sitting in a car dealership for four hours. We were pretty hungry, but we stayed far away from the vending machine. While they were drawing up the paperwork (new car, yay!) we went out to eat and had....

D-Steak Salad on a bed of romaine with tomato wedges, oil and balsamic vinegar (I wrapped half up)

1 light beer

When we got home, I put some carrots and pine nuts on the rest of my salad and finished it with our very last Mike's Light Hard Lemonade. Not primal, but hey, we were celebrating the new car, and it was the last one. No more Mike's from here on in!

The rest of the day I just drank water.

I had planned to play Frisbee with my son, but we ended up spending the day dealing with car stuff, so unfortunately no exercise today. But I think we did really well with the diet, and I feel like we're off to a good start. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Day 2 (yesterday)

B-1 apple

2 scrambled cage-free eggs

1/2 avocado

2 cups coffee w/Splenda and milk

L-big salad topped with salmon, cukes, tomatoes, carrots, pine nuts, olive oil, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar

S-small drumstick from rotisserie chicken

D-1 porkchop coated with ground almonds and unsweetened coconut. (This was kind of a failed experiment...wasn't too thrilled with the way they turned out)

broccoli slaw mix sauteed in flaxseed and sesame oil with a dash of tamari soy sauce and mandarin oranges--yum!

After dinner, I went for a long, brisk walk around the neighborhood, so I got my primal slow cardio in. I felt great!

Drank water throughout the day.

I was up late reading my PB book, and around 1:00 I was suddenly starving, so I had a bunch of grapes and a handful of macadamia nuts.

Also, two days in a row with NO heartburn! That can't be a coincidence, can it??

PattySt Guest

I, too love Mike's hard lemonade. I have a few left in the fridge from last weekend and I know I will succumb sooner or later. I don't drink much, but those are tooooo good!!

Congrats on the new car and getting Mike out of the house!!

Thanks, Patty!

Today was pretty good, although my husband was not happy with dinner. But first...

B-1 and a half cups of coffee with WHOLE milk and Splenda.

a fruit salad with chopped apple, blueberries and mandarin oranges, topped with a tablespoon of ground flax seed.

a small cold chicken drumstick

L-medium sized salad: mixed greens topped with salmon (from a foil pouch), carrots, cukes, pine nuts and homemade balsamic vinaigrette.

S-deviled eggs! I could have eaten the whole plate, but I stopped at 4 halfs.

Then a 6-hour interlude of nice primal exercise at work, waitressing: brisk walking, lifting heavy trays and ice buckets, sweeping floors.

I had cooked dinner for the family before I left, sloppy joes, the same recipe I've been using for years. I figured my husband and I would just skip the buns and have lots of veggies with it. When I got home, he was asking me all kinds of questions about the sauce...how much ketchup did I use, did I put any sugar in it? I had figured that the minimal amount of sugar in the sauce (spread out over 6 servings) would be negligible. I wasn't really worried about the 10 or so grams of carbs in my portion, but Ely (my husband) is used to being on Atkins and he says that's a lot. He ate it, but he feels like we blew it today with the sloppy joe sauce. Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

So, my dinner, after arriving home from work at 11:30 pm, was:

another deviled egg

sloppy joe (bunless of course)

a handful of raw snow peas

Now I'm having a cup of Sleepytime tea with a little bit of raw honey, and then off to bed.

Okay, yesterday, Day 4:

B--1/4 of a cantaloupe

handful of macadamia nuts

2 cups of coffee with whole milk

L--2 egg cage-free omelette stuffed with fresh mushrooms and spinach

S--a couple handfuls of roasted almonds

a cup of green tea w/raw honey

D--2 free-farmed chicken drumsticks and roasted vegetables (zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, onions)

S--apples slices dipped in Sunbutter (holy crap that stuff is delicious)

No exercise to speak of, but I feel like I'm doing great with the food. No heartburn FOUR days in a row! Amazing.

I'm off to the doctor's to find out what kind of arthritis I have. I know he'll try to prescribe meds, but I'm planning to educate him about the PB and see if he's on board with treating it with diet and exercise.

PattySt Guest

Pellegrina-

It will be interesting to hear what your Dr says. An how he reacts to what you tell him.

My husband has an autoimune disorder (with arthritis and Lupus characteristics, but still not defined). Since he has been 90% paleo in his diet his bloodwork is near normal with no meds and he's had no other symptoms! (Since Jan 1). It has strengthened his resolve to continue his path (he follows Zone/paleo...very similar to Primal).

I have a lot of arthritis and diabetes in my family and do NOT want to go that path. For a few years I have noticed that if I eat pasta for dinner my finger joints are swollen the next day...duh! And of course I've always struggled with weight.

Our teenagers will be leaving home soon and we want to live an active life as empty nesters!

Best of luck! Peace, out.

Patty, the doc said it's osteo, and he believes unequivocally that diet cannot affect it one iota. We'll see. Six days of primal eating and my hands and feet still hurt like hell, but I think it's still too soon to tell. Either way, I feel great otherwise, and my family also has a lot of diabetes so eating this way can only stack the odds in my favor. Plus, 6 days in a row with no heartburn! That's gotta be some kind of record for me.

Anyway, on to the journal. I didn't have time to post yesterday's meals but it was all primal except for my coffee. Dinner was bunless certified-organic hamburgers smothered with mushrooms and onions, and served with sauteed zucchini. Delicious!

Today, Day 6:

B--a scrambled cage-free egg with three links of nitrate-free chicken-apple breakfast sausage. (They were good as hell--made by Applegate Farms)

an orange

a cup of coffee with half-and-half and Splenda

Then I went to work and didn't eat all day except for a handful of roasted almonds that I brought with me. I also brought an apple but didn't have time to eat it.

Today was a big test of willpower at work and I passed! I work at a Chili's and one of the big temptations is "dead food" (mistakes that the employees get to eat). Of course, because this is Chili's the dead food is never healthy. (We have a guiltless grill section of the menu but hardly anybody ever orders from that.)

There was a lot today and I didn't go anywhere near it. (Despite all the cries of, "Why are you on a diet? You're so skinny!" I tried to explain it wasn't a diet, but....well, you all know..)

Also, all I drank was water all day. Usually after a long waitress shift I'm literally shaking from hunger, and today was the first time that didn't happen. I was hungry all right--just not that crazy shaky urgency where I just want to stuff dry cereal into my mouth.

I had an organic apple with me, which I ate right after my shift, and then ordered 6 grilled shrimp to take home, which I put on top of a big-ass salad for dinner, along with some cukes, tomatoes, pine nuts and half an avocado.

I did have one beer, which I really need to cut out completely.

Now off to dreamland. All in all, another successful primal day!

Day 7! One full primal week!

B--I had no time for breakfast today so I just grabbed a banana and a handful of almonds on the run. Also a cup of coffee with milk and Splenda.

L--At work: 4 oz. grilled chicken breast with steamed veggies (broccoli and carrots), with a little wing sauce on the side. I read the wing sauce label and it's not good, so tiny amounts only. Also I asked them to hold the parm on the veggies, but they put it on anyway, and I didn't have time to wait for new ones so I just ate it. It was only a little bit, and it was my only cheese all week.

D--When I got home I was starving and the house was pretty devoid of food. (Since going primal, we are going through a LOT of groceries.) I found some free-farmed chicken wings in the freezer (the company's called FreeBird--isn't that cute?), and while they were cooking I had a sliced apple with the last of the Sunbutter.

Also 2 Michelob Ultras. Ugh--the beer. My husband keeps buying it and I keep drinking it. Must get some red wine!

And finally--this is now an entire week with no heartburn whatsoever. I don't know if it was the grains or the dairy causing it, but that fact alone is reason enough to continue the primal lifestyle. I'm loving this!

Day 8

B--again, no time to cook eggs. Had to leave early to take my daughter to visit a college 3 hours away, so grabbed an orange and some almonds, 2 cups of coffee with cream and Splenda.

S--we stopped at a rest stop but it was pretty slim pickings in there. I got a small bag of veggie chips, but realized after a few bites that dried green beans are not supposed to taste like candy. Checked the label...sure enough, dextrin. Ditched the rest, had a bottle of water and a few more almonds.

L--after our tour, we went to an Applebee's. I had a 7-oz. sirloin topped with mushrooms, and double veggies on the side. I indulged in a glass of white wine, and had coffee with a side of Bailey's after. Sinful little treat, but oh so delicious! I've been close to 95% Primal since starting the challenge, so no guilt.

S--ginger-lemon tea with raw honey

Just wasn't hungry for dinner after our big lunch, but now it's 11 pm and I'm a little hungry. Probably going to have an apple with some almond butter before bed.

Day 9

B--2 cups of coffee with cream and less Splenda than usual...I'm weaning myself off it.

an organic peach

3 cage-free Omega 3 eggs scrambled in butter with sauteed onions and peppers.

L--IF (unintentional, because I went to work and forgot to bring myself a snack, but no biggie)

D--a chicken caesar salad minus the croutons and cheese, and plus diced eggs, bacon, and tomatoes. Commercial dressing not primal, but at work I sometimes have to make do. I'm eating so well otherwise that I'm not going to lose sleep over a few preservatives and soybean oil here and there.

S--once at home I had a bunch of grapes

Today I added some exercise to the routine. I dusted off my dumbbells and did Jorge Cruise's "8 Minutes in the Morning" routine, which is two different weight-bearing exercises, 4 sets of 12 reps each. The last time I tried this, several years ago, I couldn't get through some of the routines, even though my weights are only 5 lbs! (I'm skinny and weak, but not for long.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast