Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They were sold out ... page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

They were sold out ...

I went to the supermarket this evening. (I do try to get what I can from farmers' markets, or at least real shops not super-anythings, but I find I still have to use them.)

Anyway, they were sold out of both macadamia nuts and the all-natural pork "crackling". I take that as a good sign. You can't fool all the people all the time, as Lincoln said. I'm noticing a little more of this kind of thing recently. The same supermarket has even started stocking coconut oil, which one could not find even in most health food stores around here a year or two back. There's glory for you.

The time when people can be tamely got to accept the nonsense of low-fat diets and calorie counting is, I think, fast disappearing. The public is just more informed and better educated about these issues … and, you know, sooner or later people realize that if banging your head against a wall hurts, you'd better stop … or some, the less gullible and more reflective, do, at any rate. It's the way it goes. Slow progress, but definite progress.

I think of the nutritional viewpoint of the reigning establishment in medicine, health "education" -- and particularly among nutritionists -- as being rather like Marxism-Lenninism in its heyday. (Nutritionists, I'll add seem to be far more ill-informed and stubborn and far less open-minded than many doctors are now showing themselves to be. Perhaps this is an educational (in the broad sense) problem -- an educational system should teach people to be flexible and to think for themselves.)

I'll extend the metaphor. The American philosopher Eric Voegelin, commenting on Arthur Koestler's Darkness at Noon, his great novel about Revolutionary Communism in Russia, remarked that Koestler had clearly seen that as soon as the main character began to doubt the ideology he became an "enemy" who had to be dealt with.

http://www.amazon.com/Darkness-at-No...dp/0099424916/

This was because the ideology was a warrant for the exercise of power by those who were in power -- to question it was to question their position. I think something of this is going on, too.

But, as I say, I think there are some encouraging signs that it's not going to be "always winter but never Christmas". The ice and snow is starting to melt.

Here's what I think is another sign of times. I discovered today that Coca-Cola is now selling milk. I'd certainly not buy their frankenmilk. But they are selling it. And that's interesting. I guess they think they'll carry on selling their sugar-water as long as they can, and try to prop its sales up by advertisements reeking of suggestio falsi and suppressio veri, but they've evidently decided that in the long term they'd better have some other strings to their bow.

Coca-Cola Prepares to Build a Milk Brand Called Fairlife - Businessweek

Hilarious! Looking around, I already found some heartening scepticism:

Why Coca-Cola's Fairlife Milk Isn't so Fair
    Last edited by Lewis; 12-15-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Mainer is online now Senior Member
    Milk and Coca-Cola in the same paragraph, never thought that would happen! Regardless, when I render my own fat I get my own cracklins', next best thing in my opinon.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

eats.meats.west is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Anyway, they were sold out of both macadamia nuts and the all-natural pork "crackling". I take that as a good sign. You can't fool all the people all the time, as Lincoln said. I'm noticing a little more of this kind of thing recently. The same supermarket has even started stocking coconut oil, which one could not find even in most health food stores around here a year or two back. There's glory for you.
    You are an optimist for sure. I'd sooner think that the person in charge of inventory messed up or the supplier was late delivering replacement stock. When I venture into the conventional grocery store I see massive quantities of processed junk being sold as fast as they can get it on the shelves. Macadamias are too pricey for most people.

What I've noticed is that they start stocking a new healthier choice and it slowly moves from eye level shelving to the floor level before being phased out. Happens all the time, chips & soda still rule here in Portland OR.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I just recently noticed a shift in the advertising of a local medium sized grocery store here. (27 locations, but still family-owned.)

There are sidebars advertising organic produce, and whole sections in the body of the flyer showing brands like Organic Valley. They're even advertising Kefir Egg Nog for the holidays.

It's also noteworthy that McD's sales continue to slide (down).

I think there's hope, but it's going to take awhile. The reason I hear most from people is expense. Those aren't people choosing between frozen pizza and real food, but people choosing between CAFO eggs/chicken/etc. and well raised eggs/chicken/etc. Food production is an economy of scale. Where I live, pastured eggs are more than twice the price of CAFO, and pastured chicken is easily 5x more expensive than CAFO.

Change takes time. The very affluent first buy the best stuff. Then the DINKs (double income, no kids). Then some parents say, "Enough with the hormones for my kids," and start buying grass fed dairy and beef. And on and on.

But you're correct about shelving. The last time I was at Whole Foods, the Bragg's unfiltered apple cider vinegar was on the bottom shelf.

I'm mildly optimistic. To me, the most important rule of Primal is "Don't eat poison." Once a person stops paying for packaging, convenience, etc., they're pretty much half way there.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    the miles of aisles of soda and chips don't have me overly optimistic, but it is encouraging that sales at mickey d's are falling while those at places like panera and chipotle are growing. perhaps it's a generational shift?

weirdly, i have been finding lots of primal food at tjmaxx: cacao nibs, organic coconut oil, himalayan salt, etc.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Why on earth would a conventional grocery store even bother to stock the stuff the healthy people want when there are Trader Joe's, Whole Paycheck and all the other stores out there to do it? You go to Vons and compare Pasture Verde eggs to the store brand it they come out very unfavorably. Who in their right mind would pay $10 for a carton of eggs when there are $2 eggs right next to it? You go to some fancy health food store and compare Pasture Verde to Vital Farms to eggs from chickens that get a daily massage and the price looks not too bad so you buy them.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Noodle, check out marshals too.

They had organic Extra virgin coconut oil 16oz jars for 4.99, I bought the 7 they had.

MuchLove is offline Senior Member
    I live in a city that's full of South Asian, middle Eastern, east Asian, organic and health food shops so seeing foods that are now considered "paleo" and I suppose are quite hip has been common for a long time.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    Noodle, check out marshals too.

They had organic Extra virgin coconut oil 16oz jars for 4.99, I bought the 7 they had.
    yeah, i go there too and have had some great scores -- most recently that coconut oil : 16 oz for $2!
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Why on earth would a conventional grocery store even bother to stock the stuff the healthy people want when there are Trader Joe's, Whole Paycheck and all the other stores out there to do it? You go to Vons and compare Pasture Verde eggs to the store brand it they come out very unfavorably. Who in their right mind would pay $10 for a carton of eggs when there are $2 eggs right next to it? You go to some fancy health food store and compare Pasture Verde to Vital Farms to eggs from chickens that get a daily massage and the price looks not too bad so you buy them.
    My local Wal-Mart carries the Krema yogurt I like, just like the organic place. For almost the same price, curiously enough. But when my parents buy eggs from Wal-Mart they always go for the most expensive they have, the nest-laid ones. The super cheap eggs make us all feel sick. So anyway, I don't quite agree.
    Out of context quote for the day:

Ahh the Internet where you can go from discussing beaver anus and a mouthful of balls. - Blacksmith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast