Thread: Raw milk gone bad? page

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member

Raw milk gone bad?

Primal Fuel
    I have a full, unopened gallon of raw milk + about a fourth of an opened one that didn't get drunk before they went past their ok to drink date. The woman I got it from said (and it's been my experience with it previous to this) that they were good for 14 days. They're about three and a half weeks old...don't ask...sickness, injuries, blah...anyways, they are fully separated, and I'm wondering...are they really bad, or can I still use the cream for butter? I'm not really well educated about fermented dairy products, but I know that you can make fermented butter out of...what, soured cream? Soured buttermilk...(are those the same thing?) My fridge is pretty cold, can I use this for anything at all or should I just toss it and make a sadface?

Roach is offline Senior Member
    I dunno. I'd probably give it a try and see how it made me feel. As you know, one has to leave out raw milk to make kefir and it's still all good. I left a batch out for 3 whole days because I was curious. It turned pretty clumpy, sour, and fizzy but I still drank and enjoyed it.

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Your nose knows.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I know it IS useable, but I don't know the what's or how's.

I had a gallon of raw goat milk that was about 3 weeks old before I got around to making goat cheese. I put it in the stock pot and heated it to 195-200 degrees. It clumped up even before I added 1/4 cup of white vinegar. In the end, I had mozzarella cheese.

Give it a try and see what happens. Just make sure you use a heavy-bottom pot so it doesn't scorch. It sucks when that happens.

amandalw1 is offline Junior Member
    Raw milk doesn't go bad the same way that pasteurized does. It will 'sour', but it should still be safe to use. I'd smell/taste it. If it tastes fine, it's fine to use. If it's starting to taste a little off, you may want to use it in baking or something where the flavor won't come through the same way. If you use the cream for butter, your butter will also be a little sour. Being separated isn't an indication of whether or not the milk is good, all raw milk separates because it's not homogenized. Just shake it well and the cream will go back in.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    It only takes a little campylobacter to unmake your day.

If you have a garden, I'd say compost it.

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    Hmm...thanks guys. I think I'm going to pitch the opened one and open the unopened one and see how it smells/tastes. Any suggestions for mess free/convenient ways to separate the cream from the milk? I mean...it's already separated in the gallon jug, but to just get the cream by itself. I think I'm going to try to make butter out of it.

Alan M is offline Senior Member
    Check this post out to make some cream cheese and extract the whey for fermenting.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    If the unopened one smells okay, it would be easy enough to scald it (180 degrees F, about five minutes), cool it to 100 degrees F, add yoghurt culture, and make yoghurt from it. Perfectly safe that way. If you don't have a yoghurt maker you can put a 60 watt bulb in an oven, and test temperature to see how wide a crack you should leave the door open.