Thread: Fitness Challenge at Work page

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member

Fitness Challenge at Work

We have this fitness challenge at work, and they got us fit bits to monitor our step count, but really.... I think "steps walked" is a BS indicator of fitness. It's really just one aspect.

Since I am in charge, I decided we could get points for extra workouts like yoga, cycling, weightlifting. However, I moved over 16,000 lbs at the gym this morning. I'd LOVE to do 1 "step" per pound lifted, but can't think of how to equate that to something like yoga or pilates or just doing push ups or what not.

I hate the thought of losing a fitness challenge to someone training for a marathon.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

gergirl is offline Senior Member
    Bettef off losing a challenge than muscles

JimmyDamage is online now Senior Member
    I think a step per pound is a little generous. It might not be feasible this time but another option is body fat testing. Get everyone before and after. Winner loses highest %. They even have mobile testing units that could come to your office.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

JennyHaniver is offline Member
    I see what you're saying, but unless you work at Nike, I also think workplace fitness challenges kind of miss the point if they disproportionately reward people who are already moving 16K in the gym. If you're moving that much weight, you're not the one who needs a workplace fitness challenge to motivate you to get off your butt and move around.

Sometimes it's okay for challenges to be for people who need the challenge, not for people who don't.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Maybe the criteria should be the steppers who get closest to 500 miles and 500 more and the lifters who get closest to 16 tons.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDamage View Post
    I think a step per pound is a little generous. It might not be feasible this time but another option is body fat testing. Get everyone before and after. Winner loses highest %. They even have mobile testing units that could come to your office.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
    People would quit...... People are already upset at having to tell me how many steps they take.

I guess this is for the non-fit. but whoever wins will be a contest among about 3 people who are already fit. I can't think of a way to make it winnable for someone who is not fit from the get go, beyond perhaps weight or body fat, but again..... no one will agree to that.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Work fitness competitions suck. We had one a year or so ago, and I didn't enter. It was like some combo of measuring a baseline of a mile run, a rope climb or something, and weight loss. Measuring steps. Something like that.

I was like, "I can already max all of this stuff out better than everyone else, and I'd lose to someone who loses 4 pounds and improves their mile time by 30 seconds? No thanks."

hingkuaio is offline Junior Member
    Get everyone before and after. Winner loses highest %. They even have mobile testing units that could come to your office.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We had a bike commute challenge at work and what we did was form teams. This allowed the whole team to win and sort of evened out the differences a little. Some teams were really into it. Other teams not so much, which sucked if you were on a team like that. The basis for winning was most miles ridden by the entire team, team against team. So yeah, you could have one ringer making all the points and a whole bunch of slackers, but the team aspect took a lot of the embarrassment out for the slackers.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs