Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organic Valley Grass Fed Cream at the top Milk Storage Question page

Bear is offline Senior Member

Organic Valley Grass Fed Cream at the top Milk Storage Question

OK...significant other wants to get more basic with milk, so purchases this "cream at the top" milk. Carton is one of those pull apart, then squeeze to make a spout kind. Product says "shake well". If you've ever done that with a carton like this, you know there will be some escaping while you are shaking.

So...significant other buys a ceramic milk-bottle looking bottle to put it in so it can be shaken without spillage. Good idea...but...now you have this bottle that needs to be cleaned before re-use with the next carton of this milk.

I say...you will need to sterilize this bottle before each re-use. Is this too cautious?

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    Sterilize is an extreme measure, sanitize is a better option or just plain cleaning with dish soap and a good rinse. However when we get that kind of milk, we shake well before first use and then it is what it is. If you happen to get some cream in your serving so be it.

An easy way to sanitize glassware is after cleaning, fill it with water and the appropriate amount (https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/sa...-using-bleach/) of regular household bleach. It is a small amount btw. Then let it sit for the proper time.

DannyP is offline Senior Member
    I've also seen the Organic Valley "Grass Milk" in the carton with the little screw-on top on one side. Works better. Or, both Traderspoint Creamery and Kalona Supernatural have glass/plastic bottles of organic grass-fed milk available.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    that organic valley milk is ultra-high temp pasteurized so utterly sterile anyway. besides being a waste of money don't go crazy sterilizing the bottle. just wash it out.

do you have access to better milk?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    that organic valley milk is ultra-high temp pasteurized so utterly sterile anyway. besides being a waste of money don't go crazy sterilizing the bottle. just wash it out.

do you have access to better milk?
    I need to look closely at it now...had no idea it was UHT. Yes we have access to good milk.

pretty much all the mass-produced "organic" milks are uht. it's dead white liquid.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

pretty much all the mass-produced "organic" milks are uht. it's dead white liquid.
    Well, it turns out you're wrong...it isn't UHT. And neither is the other milk we drink.

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    UHT and pasteurised are not the same thing. Standard pasteurised milk still needs to be refrigerated, whereas UHT milk head a much longer shelf life prior to penning and only needs to be refrigerated after the carton has been opened.

Imho the order of preference is:
    1.raw unpasteurised milk.
    2. pasteurised but not homogenised.
    3. pasteurised and homogenised.
    4. Water.
    5. UHT.

I've only recently found full fat number 3 in local supermarkets and it's just how I remember milk being when I was a kid.

The homogenisation is what stops the fast from sitting on top of the milk. Basically the fast globules are broken down to make the milk a standard colour and texture.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Well, it turns out you're wrong...it isn't UHT. And neither is the other milk we drink.
    my understanding is most national brands of organic milk are uht, AND sold in those cardboard containers, for the longer shelf-life required for shipping across the country. so if you are close enough to get just regular pasteurized from them, i am sorry i misspoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    UHT and pasteurised are not the same thing. Standard pasteurised milk still needs to be refrigerated, whereas UHT milk head a much longer shelf life prior to penning and only needs to be refrigerated after the carton has been opened.
    correct, but certain companies sell their uht milk in the refrigerated section so it seems "fresh".

misabi, are you able to buy raw milk in supermarkets in nz? most places in the us do not permit it.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast