Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My wife's high cholesterol LDL 260 page

Oliver is offline Junior Member

My wife's high cholesterol LDL 260

Hello there,

I introduced my wife to paleo around 7 months ago and since then she has lost around 10 kgs and generally feels much better.

Today we've been surprised as she's been to the doctors for a health check and received test results showing very, very high LDL levels. (LDL:260 and HDL:76). The doctor has prescribed statins and a low fat low meat diet which we're really upset about.

The reason for the initial health check is that my wife has been having regular kidney/ water infections, so the doctor was trying to get to the bottom of this problem, she didn't have an infection at the time of her health check. The rest of her results were very good, e.g. low blood sugar.

Our diet has not been 100% strict, sometimes, maybe at the weekend, we may go completely off the rails with regards to paleo food, but I'd say all in all we're definitely 80% strict at the least.

I would say that my wife still has over 10-15% body fat. I have read that cholesterol levels can read high when fat is released into the blood stream from adipose tissue to be utilised as fuel.

Has anybody experienced anything like this? Or could anyone offer any advice?

Many Thanks

Oliver
    Last edited by Oliver; 12-12-2014 at 08:17 AM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Cholesterol is needed to heal and an infection may be skewing her numbers. I'm not saying to ignore her levels, but I would wait until you resolve this kidney infection issue and let things stabilize. Then retest.

High cholesterol may protect against infections and atherosclerosis | QJM: An International Journal of Medicine
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-12-2014 at 07:52 AM.

Hi, thanks for the reply, I didn't know that. I was actually mistaken,she was tested for an infection as she thought she had symptoms but didn't have one The only thing she had wrong was high LDL levels (I've just edited my original post). She has had kidney infections in the past. The doctor has really scared her by telling her that she is at risk of a heart attack! She's only 32!
    Last edited by Oliver; 12-12-2014 at 08:18 AM.

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Now you have to choose what to believe. You can take your doctor's word as authority or draw your own conclusions.

Personally, I'm not particularly impressed by the "dangers" of high LDL. However, if she's worried, she can supplement magnesium. That often lowers LDL and may get the doctor to leave her alone.

MuchLove is offline Senior Member
    As she's a woman I would damn well hope she has over 10-15% bodyfat or she'd be likely to be very unwell.

DannyP is online now Senior Member
    Forgive me for asking the obvious, but was it a fasting test (nothing but water or black coffee for 10-12 hours before)? If not, that can throw the results all over the place.

My own personal experience has been quite contrary to "conventional" wisdom: I cut sugar and grain and increased red meat and dairy and found my LDL at an all time low and HDL at an all time high.

Assuming the quality of the foods you get are pretty high in terms of meat and cheese and fish then I can only conclude that 1) the test wasn't done fasting, 2) some other issue, 3) different people metabolize things differently with different effects.
    Last edited by DannyP; 12-12-2014 at 08:42 AM.

MUCH LOVE: Yep, just an amateur guesstimate-- she still has some body fat, but not lot's.

Quetzl is offline Junior Member
    She also has high HDL. The ratio is more important than the absolute numbers. I think a combination of weight loss and a higher fat diet is contributing to these numbers, but I don't think they are particular worrying. If your doctor has been keeping up with recent literature he would know about the Harvard meta analysis that recently came out showing no link between heart disease and saturated fats, as well as a number of other studies showing that low fat diets do not reduce the risk of heart disease. I would recommend not switching to a low fat diet, and I would also recommend not taking the statins, as the risk reduction for these drugs is very small (absolute risk lowered by 0.5%-9%), and side effects are many and potentially dangerous.

It was a 12 hour fast... I can't vouch for the quality of the meat, we don't buy grass-fed.

MuchLove is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Let me put it in context. 25-30% is normal for women. "Fitness" levels are 20-25%. Some female athletes may get down a bit below 15% but it can be argued that this is not natural or healthy (female athlete triad anyone?). So thank god she is over 10-15% is all I can say.

Also may be relevant: women tend to have higher cholesterol than men but suffer less heart disease.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast