Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap, Lazy, and Primal - FelixtheCaveCat's Journal page

Cheap, Lazy, and Primal - FelixtheCaveCat's Journal

Shop Now
    I figure now's as good a time as any to start this journal. I had been reading about Paleo for years, starting with Richard Nikoley's Free the Animal blog. Then I spent a few months lurking on MDA.

Two things got me started on the Primal track, finally. In September we adopted two kittens and a 60-pound dog. Together they're a handful--I noticed I was getting in slightly better shape just from working with them every day. We keep them healthy on limited ingredient pet foods. After a while I wondered why I wasn't treating myself the same way. The other thing was a bathroom scale. Intrigued by discussions of body fat percentages and BMI and lean body mass, I got a body composition scale. Hoo boy...talk about denial. For years I had listed my weight as 180 pounds and was satisfied with that. Reality turned out to be 215 pounds. I'm guessing I was at least 10 pounds heavier before twice daily walks with a large dog were happening, giving me a starting weight of about 225. Taking my 5'2" height into account, my BMI clocks in at 39.

A little before Thanksgiving week I started phasing out carbs, rather than cut them all off suddenly. I don't live alone, nor do I have control over all of the food in the house. My budget is approximately diddly +/- squat so my primal changes have to be inexpensive as well as effective. I'll be using this journal to track my progress. My lifestyle is pretty chaotic, so I'll be doing good to post weekly. As a 24-7 caregiver, it's tough to schedule things, so any Primal activities will need to take a minimum of time to set up and do.

Cheap, lazy, and primal. That's what the journal will be about.

Okeydokey, numbers:
    SW: 225
    CW: 215
    GW: LGN
    BMI: 39.3
    BF: 30.2%

Petco Pouch: 44"
    This is a dog treats pouch I use while training and walking the dog. Since I don't wear belts I'm using it to measure changes in my shape..
    Last edited by FelixtheCaveCat; 12-12-2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Grammar. 'N stuff.

I've only been Primal for a short time, but have already noticed some interesting changes. By far the biggest one is what I call "Sticker Shock". Nope, not the tense feeling in the gut that happens as the checker at Whole Foods cheerfully tells me the total. Something else.

First a little background: all my life I have had allergies--some annoying, some lethal--to peanuts, tree nuts, a few other legumes, and coconut. So from a very young age I became a pro at reading food labels. I could tell horror stories about food shopping Back in the Day when allergy awareness was minimal and food manufacturers weren't very careful about cross-contamination, but I digress.

The point is that since starting PB I have had to retrain myself on the label reading. Originally, once I determined from a food label that there were no allergens, the label study stopped right there. Recently my partner came home from a shopping trip with a couple of beloved treats from the grocery store bakery: a pack of chocolate chip cookies, and a pudding ring cake. I parked them in an out-of-the-way spot in the kitchen, and decided to wait until I was really willing to risk the carb hit to eat some. The time came, I approached the counter with trepidation, lifted the cookie box and...read the label.

OMGWTFSMDH. It's the SAD Diet All-Stars:

"Enriched" wheat flour, four varieties of sugar, margarine with 'natural butter flavor', palm oil...the cake turned out to be just as bad, with the additional bonus of propylene glycol, a GRAS delicacy that is also used for de-icing airplanes. And those weren't the only label surprises I've encountered lately. Other things have been cole slaw with more HFCS than carrots, 'organic' fruit sodas with 12% juice, 400 calories and 108 grams of carbs per bottle...Yikes.

I'm assuming as the food in the house improves, the Sticker Shock will let up a bit, but till then I think I'll keep myself busy writing love letters to the lady who delivers our CSA box.
    Last edited by FelixtheCaveCat; 12-12-2014 at 01:38 PM.

I hadn't owned a scale in *mumble* decades, so getting one to track my Primal progress was something of a mental leap for me. Parting with an extra 20 bucks got me a body-composition type scale that I have yclept the Bodycomp-o-matic. My tracking started off with daily weigh-ins, but those quickly proved to be an express ticket to Crazytown. Let's see how I do with weeklies. To keep my mind off of the big fat number at the top of the scale's display, I have declared Sunday mornings to be "Bodycomp" mornings.

Bodycomp-o-matic findings:

CW: 214.2

BMI: 39.2
    BF: 30%

Petco Pouch: 44" (no change)

Even though the Petco pouch figure has stayed the same, it's clear other changes are happening. One of the odder ones is that I've had to tighten up my sneakers considerably. It never occurred to me that fat and water could accumulate in my feet without my noticing, but there we are. Granted, I'm not doing 100% Primal right now, but am gradually cutting out junk carbs and replacing them with proteins and fats. Definitely seem to be having more energy and fewer hunger pangs throughout the day, so it's all good.

Another interesting change has been the lowering of my Snore Score. What's a Snore Score, and why am I including it in my journal? Stay tuned...

Sent from some place with working electricity and Internet
    "Your body isn't a temple--it's an amusement park! Enjoy the ride." -- Anthony Bourdain
    "Your body isn't a temple--it's an amusement park! Enjoy the ride." -- Anthony Bourdain

My Journal: Cheap, Lazy, and Primal

MuchLove is offline Senior Member
    Hey, don't get too hung up on even weekly weigh ins. Best indicator is stuff like waist measurement and how your clothes fit.

Reading along and wishing you well

Hey, thanks for visiting MuchLove! I'm doing my best not to focus on the overall weight number...what really interests me is the percentages of body fat and muscle the scale is telling me. That said, I'm also deliberately working to avoid the numbers game a "diet" usually involves, so I'm not counting calories or macro percentages either. Since I'm a serial procrastinator, I choose the slow route to eating primal rather than cut all the bad things out at once. If I gave myself a deadline to start from, I'd never make it...

Fewer numbers, more food, is what I guess I'm saying.

Major cheat night last night with the SAD All-Stars.......helloooooooooo migraine!

A few nights ago I decided to cheat at dinner and made pasta. Pasta has always been my personal kryptonite...once I start eating it I keep going until there is no. more. room. in my stomach, and then have another helping to "fill any empty corners". Seriously, in my family I'm the chief pasta eater, the girl who knows why you have to salt the water first and the difference between chittara and radiatori.

This particular cheat definitely didn't follow the pattern. I expected a binge, and got a disappointing meal that had me throwing the leftover pasta away. What happened?

Well, the topping for the pasta was first rate: grass-fed Angus beef hamburger sautéed in butter with salt, pepper, mushrooms, mushroom gravy, and a small lashing of grated cheddar. The pasta was...not. One obvious thing about pasta is that it's got little flavor on its own; it's more of a blank canvas for the toppings you put on it. Unless it's extremely high quality, pasta doesn't taste like much. The pasta I used was not, so it didn't, and after a few bites I couldn't stand it, finished the topping, and threw the pasta out. You'd think after *mumble* decades of pasta eating I would have realized my mistake, but it took my Primal Blueprint reconfigured taste buds to understand where the problem was. For years I had been cooking up tasty things to put on pasta, rather than saving time by just eating the tasty things and not bothering with the pasta.

Lesson learned.

Thus spake the Bodycomp-o-matic:

CW: 212.8

BMI: 38.9
    BF: 29.4%

Petco Pouch: 43"

And lo, the Bodycomp-o-matic declared:

CW: 210.0

BMI: 38.4
    BF: 28.9%

Petco Pouch: 42"

Huh. Almost 3 pounds lost during Christmas week. Whoosh, I guess?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Happy New Year, everyone!

...except, of course, for the folks I'm going to make fun of today...

Took the family dog out for a walk this morning. Generally speaking the walks consist of a good 45 minutes to an hour of moseying along our local trail park known as the Greenway, with the occasional game of fetch to give the dog a few good sprints. Sounds like a nice primal start to the year, no?

Well! I had no idea how hilarious the park looks on New Years Day. Apparently many people in my neighbourhood have no intention of being Cheap Lazy 'n' Primal in 2015. Jogger after jogger galumphed down the trail, dressed in shiny new workout attire, doing their best to look Resolute along the way. Unfortunately a couple of these folks had not moved at any speed since last January first, so the Resoluteness was kind of overpowered by tons of sweat and dramatic gasping. Others were multitasking by pushing a stroller as they jogged. Yep, it's a whole new year -- let's kick it off with chronic cardio and plenty of undereating, and make sure our kids understand how important it is to be as sweaty, tired, and hungry as possible to celebrate the passing of time! Yaaaaayyyyy.....

The dog and I took in the sight of all this Resoluteness and turned for home, looking forward to a nap and some of the duck we're roasting up for dinner.

Last edited by FelixtheCaveCat; 01-01-2015 at 06:35 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast