Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LIIT anyone? page

gergirl is offline Senior Member

LIIT anyone?

Hi,
    just wondering:
    Is there anything like low intensity interval cardio training? Would it make sense? Not to go all out during exercises but add a bit more speed on days when I feel fit but want to save energy for the following harder day? Or is it all or nothing?
    When can an interval be called an interval?

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    In my opinion the only reason for any low intensity cardio is if you enjoy it, say for example you like hiking or cycling then go for it, why not.

Not talking of steady state but spreading in intervals on a lower level.
    btw, do you feel better?

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    Not talking of steady state but spreading in intervals on a lower level.
    btw, do you feel better?
    No I think that would defeat the whole point of HIIT training.

Nah heads still the same but thanks for asking, taking my first planned break from working out in 30 + years see if that helps any, LOL. Be back at the gym probably on Saturday.

Well, new experience for you after such a long time. Can be exciting to see what it does to you? Where could your energy go? *lol*

Nightly Orange is offline Senior Member
    Seems totally pointless. The health benefits of training result from adaptation, which only occurs when the body is pushed slightly beyond its limits by intense stimuli. "Low intensity interval training" is by definition too wimpy to provoke an adaptation response.

I mean if it's literally the only exercise you ever get, it's better than nothing. But if you already have a high intensity program of some sort, LIIT is a waste of time and energy (unless you schedule it in such a way as to break up what would otherwise be a long sedentary period, e.g. every 2 hours on a day in which you would otherwise be sitting in front of a computer for 10 hours straight--but I don't think that's what you meant).
    Last edited by Nightly Orange; 12-10-2014 at 01:54 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think in concert with a calorie restricted diet, low intensity exercise, whether it is intervals or not, is actually really beneficial. If you think about it, what you describe as low intensity intervals is basically real world getting around. It's the same thing as playing with your kid or walking a distance on uneven terrain or paddling in intermittent wind or whatever. It's part of "move often at a slow pace."
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I prefer HIIT and MIIT(medium intensity interval training) myself…
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    I am sure I read a study years ago that tested people doing half an hour or 3 sets of 10 mins exercise daily. and it wasn't high intensity. they found it had the same benefit. what I don't know is any of the variables or what the participants health issue were etc.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    I am sure I read a study years ago that tested people doing half an hour or 3 sets of 10 mins exercise daily. and it wasn't high intensity. they found it had the same benefit. what I don't know is any of the variables or what the participants health issue were etc.
    Yes, I have read about that, too.
    @Gorbag: What would you consider high, medium and low? Is based on heart rate or intensity or length of the intervals?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast