Thread: Fish Oil Bad page

seanbrenna is offline Junior Member

Fish Oil Bad

Shop Now
    What do you guys think about this article that states basically that fish oil is bad because it oxidizes easily?

When it comes to fish oil, more is not better

John Caton is offline Senior Member
    Fish oil in supplements, like other PUFAS apparently oxidizes easily. In the diet, in the form of fish, it is more beneficial. Dr. Kruse credits the presence of Iodine in fish being protective of the fats from oxidation.

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    An almost identical thread was started in the "Mark's Daily Apple Blog Post Topics" sub forum. Since the same question is asked here, I'll just copy and paste my response:

I believe fish oil is bad for you. When it oxidizes (which it does easily), toxins like acrolein are produced. It also appears to inhibit thyroid function.

Omega-3 fatty acids are believed to be essential. They are not. This was demonstrated over 100 years ago:
    http://www.jbc.org/content/12/1/81.full.pdf

Fish oil is anti-inflammatory and people tend to like that. You can also reduce inflammation by simply eating less omega-6 fatty acids, in which case you don't suffer the harmful effects mentioned above.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    most "fish oil" comes as a byproduct from farmed fish that eat utter crap diets. why would you want to eat their oil? i don't touch farmed finfish with a 20-foot pole.

just eat wild fish a couple times a week and avoid inflammatory foods, like wheat and industrial seed oils. ya know, primal eating.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    It depends on why you're taking it, IMO. As someone eating paleo with pretty moderate hip arthritis, I swear by fish oil. It's more effective than 1600-2400mg of Motrin a day (which will lead to a healthy dose of internal bleeding)

For me, it's more effective and cheaper than eating salmon every day. That said, you can find some pretty decent wild caught salmon at Aldi in the frozen foods section for dirt cheap.

Considering the difference between taking it or not taking it means moving or being in a constant state of having a back locked up, I'll roll the dice, take my chances, and think that there's far worse things in life than 2.8 grams a day of fish oil capsules.

Sent from my XT1060 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

hanhalfday is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    it is more beneficial. Dr. Kruse credits the presence of Iodine in fish being protective of the fats from oxidation.