Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sudden Egg Sensitivity page

Artemis is offline Junior Member

Sudden Egg Sensitivity

So I've been Primal since March and because it's an excellent source of protein, etc, and it's low carb I've been having eggs for breakfast virtually every day since then. I've also been mixing it up in terms of omelettes, scrambled, and hard-boiled options. This is relatively cheap and quick to make so I haven't really explored any other breakfast options (I can't have yogurt because the hormones in dairy directly and quickly affect my skin.)

A week ago, however, I had an omelette for breakfast as normal and began to feel sick as I was eating it and couldn't finish it. A few days later I tried hard-boiled eggs and felt like I was going to vomit for about a half-hour directly after.

So, my question to you guys is: Is it possible to have developed a sensitivity to eggs after having eaten them practically straight for 4+ months straight, or is there something else going on?

Note: the eggs were Omega-3 but not free-range because there are none in the area that I can get for any reasonable price. (I live in downtown Montreal.)

Thanks!

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a case of Bad Eggs..... That would explain the sudden onset of nausea following eating them. Even under the best of conditions, eggs can become contaminated. Sometimes if you are getting them from a local farmer, there could be a question of freshness. Rare, but it happens. It's not normal to feel sick after eating eggs. I suspect something wrong with the eggs, Not you.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    possibly. i'd be willing to bet that you're just sick of eating so many. personally i don't believe in developing sensitivities to nourishing foods such as eggs. i'm sure i'll be getting hell for this reply:-) just skip 'em for awhile. you'll miss 'em and come cryin' back. i was like that a few years ago. once i went without for a few weeks i was ok.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    So I've been Primal since March and because it's an excellent source of protein, etc, and it's low carb I've been having eggs for breakfast virtually every day since then. I've also been mixing it up in terms of omelettes, scrambled, and hard-boiled options. This is relatively cheap and quick to make so I haven't really explored any other breakfast options (I can't have yogurt because the hormones in dairy directly and quickly affect my skin.)
    It's absolutely possible. A roommate of mine in college was very allergic to dairy and her only reaction was an upset stomach or occasionally, if enough was ingested, vomiting.

Anyway, here is another mda'er that developed an egg allergy at 21 after a lifetime of eating eggs without incident.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ht=egg-allergy

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Paleo Man is offline Senior Member
    A year or so ago I read a book, title I can't recall, by a NIH scientist who could pinpoint when, where and how he became severely reactive to eggs late in life, a coincidence of momentary vulnerability and those egg proteins being present at the moment and getting into the wrong place at the wrong time. He reacted ever after; hopefully your intolerance might be temporary.

It is possible to order testing for egg sensitivity from Enterolab, a COLA (AMA and AAFP) approved lab, and the physician who developed the tests, Dr. Fine, will provide an interpretation.

https://www.enterolab.com/

https://www.enterolab.com/StaticPages/TestInfo.aspx

But your own observations in testing your reactions yourself over time and with different batches of eggs might be the best indication.

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    First, I would suspect the eggs themselves. If you're willing to experiment on yourself, buy new eggs...exactly the same brand, and see what happens with those when you eat them.

If you react, and are willing to do further experimentation on yourself, do whatever you can to get farm fresh (laid within ten days), cage free eggs. If you love them that much...even if you have to drive a ways to get them.

I developed an egg sensitivity around the age of 19. Recently, I've tried eating farm fresh cage free eggs and don't seem to have a problem with those. They were expensive and I was driving like 2 hours to get them so I'm going to experiment on myself soon and try just cage free from the health food store near me.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    You can develop an allergy, I've read somewhere that laying off for 6 weeks (dang long time) or so will make the sensitivity go away. Good luck.

janaturner is offline Junior Member
    This has happened to me a few times - half way through my eggs I'd get really nauseous and feel like I'm dangerously close to vomiting and I typically don't have a weak stomach. Taking a break from eggs has (so far) done the trick for me. I can usually go back to them after about a week. I always get my eggs from the same source so they may not be as farm fresh and free run as advertised!

It might be hard to try eggs from another source with the nausea association so I'd suggest taking a break and then trying them from another source.

john_e_turner_ii is online now Senior Member
    Darthfriendly has a good suggestion. Food allergies are based on a build up of the particular food causing the allergy. Layoff for 6-8 weeks, maybe less, and slowly reintroduce the offending food to see how you react.

Artemis is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    All right, thanks everyone - I really hope that it was just that batch of eggs (definitely possible), but I'm still going to lay off for at least a few weeks and then slowly go back to them and see what happens. Hopefully I'm not allergic/insensitive forever, because that would just be terrible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast