Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: reps sets rest

reps sets rest

Shop Now
    Hi everyone,
    how long do one has to rest between sets? If I do two supersets ( military press, deadlift and lunges, one arm rows) how long should I rest within a superset and between supersets? As far as I know it depends on the goal and the weight you are lifting? I want to get stronger, not looking for mass. Either I am to blind to see the recommendations in my programme or it is not said.
    So, any help or advice from your experience?
    Thank you

Why are you performing supersets anyway ? If you training mainly for strength then I'd recommend single sets with at least a few minutes between each.
    As I train for hypertrophy I keep my rest to a minimum and rest maybe a minute or less.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Why are you performing supersets anyway ? If you training mainly for strength then I'd recommend single sets with at least a few minutes between each.
    As I train for hypertrophy I keep my rest to a minimum and rest maybe a minute or less.
    supersets are part of the programme what to do between the sets, thought working out another part of the body makes time more eefficient? But I guess what I do aren't really supersets, because they work different muscles and su÷ersets mean the same muscle but different angle? I always mix it up...

Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    supersets are part of the programme what to do between the sets, thought working out another part of the body makes time more eefficient? But I guess what I do aren't really supersets, because they work different muscles and su÷ersets mean the same muscle but different angle? I always mix it up...
    I don't know. I think superset is used to describe putting two or more exercises in a circuit, regardless of whether they're working the same muscle.

Anyway, as to your original question: yes, supersetting can make you more efficient (increase training density). But if your goal is increased strength, you want to rest longer between sets. In the example you gave, the deadlift/press superset... I would probably do the deadlifts by themselves and then do the press by itself since those are both compound movements that I want to get stronger on. After those, I might superset rows/barbell glute bridges or something like that since those are assistance exercises in my routine.

Rest long enough that you can complete the set. Even if you super-set you may need to rest 2-3 minutes in order to be able to complete the next set of whatever. That was my experience trying to super-set squats and presses in order to save time. I still had to rest at least 3 minutes, but I saved time because part of that rest period I was changing plates.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

I've done sets of Deadlift and Overhead (strict) Press as a superset before. Probably rested 1 minute going from deadlift to press and a couple minutes in between super sets. I don't think one lift really affected the other in this case.

When I work out at home on weekends, sometimes I rest hours between sets. Maximum strength gains.

I only superset with opposing exercises -- specifically bench/rowing machine and press/pull-down machine. I try to stick to around 3-4 minutes between main exercises (bench and press) and insert the fairly demanding opposing exercises in the middle. I don't try to do anything between squats except maybe a little warm-up. I give myself full rest between dead lift sets.

I'm training for strength/general fitness and generally do 2min in between squat sets, 90sec in between push (OHP or incline press) sets and 1min in between pull (cable pull-down or BB row) sets.

However I'm currently doing a pretty big form reset, so the weights feel pretty light and I'm doing 5x5. As I build back up I expect the rest periods to increase and the number of sets to decrease.

I used to do super sets but found that it was a bit to taxing when trying to go heavy and was able to lift less overall. When I go back to having a "light day" I may try it again, or go back to some kind of circuits. Each of those always required more in between rest.

Shop Now
    I generally keep strength to single sets with enough rest I feel is necessary. Sometimes I keep a timer sometimes I just get up and go.

Typically for time reasons I'll superset accessory lifts. Like 5 sets of 10 military press at a lower % with 10 strict pull ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum