Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Okinawan diet? page

saraholistichealing is offline Junior Member

Okinawan diet?

Hey ya'll- I'm loving the primal life so far (almost 2 weeks), but my partner thinks the Okinawan diet is the best because the island boasts so many youthful centarians. While I know the diet has some things in common with pb, there are a lot of differences, namely that the Japanese islanders eat a lot of low fat soups, tofu, have unlimited rice and sweet potato consumption, and limit red meat. Anyone familiar with the Okinawan diet and have some insight? Seems like they also have figured out a way to live long and prosper...

Sent from my yoga mat

miata is offline Senior Member
    I always take those statistics with a grain of salt. For all we know the Okinawan's may have better genetics, less stress, better air quality, more walking, etc. They may live a long time in spite of their diet.
    Last edited by miata; 12-03-2014 at 11:08 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saraholistichealing View Post
    Hey ya'll- I'm loving the primal life so far (almost 2 weeks), but my partner thinks the Okinawan diet is the best because the island boasts so many youthful centarians. While I know the diet has some things in common with pb, there are a lot of differences, namely that the Japanese islanders eat a lot of low fat soups, tofu, have unlimited rice and sweet potato consumption, and limit red meat. Anyone familiar with the Okinawan diet and have some insight? Seems like they also have figured out a way to live long and prosper...

Sent from my yoga mat
    Lol...that ain't the diet that got them healthy.

It's this one!
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-03-2014 at 06:16 PM.

saraholistichealing is offline Junior Member
    Interesting! That article has different info than The Okinawan Diet Plan, which basically advocates a low fat diet high in veggies, soy, sweet potatoes, rice, and fish. I wonder why the discrepancy. The author had lived among the Okinawans for awhile and studied their diet and lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Lol...that ain't the diet that got them healthy.

It's this one!

miata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saraholistichealing View Post
    Interesting! That article has different info than The Okinawan Diet Plan, which basically advocates a low fat diet high in veggies, soy, sweet potatoes, rice, and fish. I wonder why the discrepancy. The author had lived among the Okinawans for awhile and studied their diet and lifestyle.
    Everybody with a diet agenda claims that that there's is close to the Okinawan diet.
    Last edited by miata; 12-03-2014 at 11:08 PM.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Pretty sure they eat a LOT of fish over there. You didn't mention that but I'm absolutely certain that's a feature.

Anyway. It depends on how much carbs you can tolerate, which is quite individual. Sometimes you know... Inuit ancestry? You probably shouldn't be eating that many carbs. Already diabetic? Probably not. Try it out and see how you do.
    Out of context quote for the day:

Ahh the Internet where you can go from discussing beaver anus and a mouthful of balls. - Blacksmith

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Lots of fish. Soy would be fermented or a condiment NOT the way veg@ns today use it.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    It's a correlation, so it doesn't mean anything

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    From the page Neck linked to, if you didn't click on it:
    Okinawan culture not only embraces one of the most heart-healthy diets (high seafood, animal meat, milk, eggs, saturated fats, high minerals and low carb) but also a very physically active lifestyle. Additionally, like other long-living societies, they display a distinct community spirit and lifestyle that values every members' contributions including elders, daily prayer, frequent festivals honoring ancestral spirits, playing/dancing (Bali, Polynesian style) regularly, exercising/tai chi together, working diligently until the day they pass away, hot baths (sweat out toxins) daily, avid music listening, folkmusic singing, instrument playing (sanshin) and is tied around all generations of extended families yet promotes self-sufficiency and self-reliance. Traditional Okinawan livelihoods and common activities are still farming, fishing and gardening.
    They eat a lot of pork, too.

One thing that really bugs me is you have these traditional diets like the Okinawan or the Mediterranean (as if there's only one diet in the Mediterranean region) but modern medicine totally undoes all that is good about these diets. They take out the lard, reduce the fat and oils, take out the red meat, stuff it full of beans and soy, tell you to eat a lot of pasta and starch, create recipes with broccoli and other vegetables and fruits they don't even have in those regions, and then don't even wonder why it doesn't work.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    From the page Neck linked to, if you didn't click on it:

They eat a lot of pork, too.

One thing that really bugs me is you have these traditional diets like the Okinawan or the Mediterranean (as if there's only one diet in the Mediterranean region) but modern medicine totally undoes all that is good about these diets. They take out the lard, reduce the fat and oils, take out the red meat, stuff it full of beans and soy, tell you to eat a lot of pasta and starch, create recipes with broccoli and other vegetables and fruits they don't even have in those regions, and then don't even wonder why it doesn't work.
    +1
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast