Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade goat yogurt? page

pantrybites is offline Member

Question Homemade goat yogurt?

I got given a second hand yogurt maker and I'm experimenting. I'm keen on making goat yogurt in an attempt to reduce my dairy intake. Does anyone have any experience in making yogurt at home?

www.pantrybites.com
    Real Good Primal Food

Grol is offline Senior Member
    We've had several conversations about it. I look at goat's milk all the time and think about turning it into yogurt.

Yogurt itself is used as the starter. So your first batch would have a teeny bit of cow in it that would be meaningless by your second or third batch. Each new batch is started with a little of the last batch. If you can find goat yogurt then you're pure goat from the start. You can also purchase starter cultures from some health food stores or online.

If my milk is organic and ultra pasteurized, I just heat it to about 120 degrees, let it cool for ten minutes and stir in some starter. Store it in a warm place to maintain temps above 95 and below 115 and you have yogurt in about 12 hours. It gets tangier and a little thicker for another 12 hours. I'm also culturing cream for creme fraiche and half and half for strained thick cream cheesy greek yogurt.

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

www.pantrybites.com
    Real Good Primal Food

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I'd like to do this - but don't know where to get goats milk in the UK?

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    Not doing dairy right now, but when I do, I make my homemade yogurt with organic goat milk (hoping to find a raw source when I reintroduce yogurt into the diet). You don't have to do anything different -- just use goat instead of cow... I *do* like a nice thick AND tangy yogurt, so I tend to brew it for quite a while, plus I add a bit of powdered milk which helps thicken it nicely -- only problem is I haven't found a source for powdered goat milk so far, just powdered cow milk (will try looking online one of these days!).

I just made my first batch using goat milk and freeze dried yogurt culture. It tastes great but a little bit too thin for my liking.

Any suggestions for thickening it up?

www.pantrybites.com
    Real Good Primal Food

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pantrybites View Post
    I just made my first batch using goat milk and freeze dried yogurt culture. It tastes great but a little bit too thin for my liking.

Any suggestions for thickening it up?
    "Cooking" it longer will make it thicker (with more tang too...) -- I push mine to about 13 hours... Also, adding powdered milk will thicken it a whole lot, but as I mentioned above, I've only found powder cow's milk so far.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I've been straining 20 ounces made from whole organic non-homogenized ultra pasteurized milk. It cultured between 95 and 115 degrees for 15 hours. It was inoculated with my ongoing strain that is part Fage and part Stoneyfield. It's down to about 12 ounces from the straining and very thick and creamy, not as dense as cream cheese but a little thicker than sour cream or Fage Total. You lose quantity straining it Greek style, but you sure gain quality. This is a great batch.

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely try with my next batch.

www.pantrybites.com
    Real Good Primal Food

harpo is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Pretty much every main supermarket carries it in the UK, but absolutely definitely Sainsburys and Co-Op / Somerfield. It's more expensive than moo-juice, slightly sweeter and remember to get full fat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast