Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade goat yogurt? page 2

Gif
    Gif is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I made homemade goat yoghurt, it's VERY tart and tasty but runny and liquid consistency. I've incubated over 24 hours, so I doubt it will thicken up anymore. It's whole goat's milk. Any help here?

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    try straining it through a paper towel and a wire mesh strainer... it will take a while but you'll end up w/ a thicker yogurt. this is what dh does when his yogurt is too thin....he's been making yogurt on the stove for over 2yrs... sometimes he knocks it out of the park and other times he kills the batch... its soo hard in our kitchen b/c it doesn't really warm up...

Goat's milk will always be runnier than cow's milk and have less protein. Straining it through cheesecloth or butter muslin for as long as you like in the fridge will help thicken it. Avoid conventional paper towels. They sell cheesecloth everywhere - WF, BB&B, Safeway, Crate and Barrel, etc. I find straining yogurt to be essential, and you aren't "losing" much. Because you're removing a lot of water with the whey, your protein will be more concentrated and therefore higher ounce for ounce compared to unstrained.

The longer you incubate your yogurt, the more tart and tangy the finished product will taste. Incubate for taste, then strain for consistency. Many commercial brands rely on gelatin, guar gum, zantham gum, and other thickeners and stabilizers for consistency. With goat's milk especially, you might just have to accept that homemade will be an entirely different (but good! And infinitely better) product.

You can "reculture" your yogurt only so many times before it loses strength. Also, different bacterial strains taste different.

ALWAYS use pasteurized (or raw) instead of ultra-pasteurized. Ultra may work, but you lose some protein as well as taste and thickness, and it will likely take longer to fully culture.

(Full disclosure - I only make cow's milk yogurt myself, but I'm an obsessive researcher)

Happy culturing!

sghulett is offline Senior Member
    I make yogurt all the time in a cooler with hot water over night and it turns out great

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12