Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie workin' a major plateau page

HungryinTN is offline Member

Newbie workin' a major plateau

I have been on this journey for quite a while now. I started out by going wheat-free summer 2013. Within a week of JUST giving up wheat I'd lost about eight pounds. In addition to the weight loss, which was great, my digestion was improving and my aching joints were starting to feel 30 again instead of 80 (I was, in fact, 30). I'd been a vegetarian my entire life. In my quest to achieve better health, I made the plunge in September of last year and started eating MEAT (much to my mother's dismay...but then, she's 65 and can't walk anymore because her joints have been eaten by her insides). By spring, I was back down to a weight that was more "me," dropping from 223 to about 180. Slowly over the summer, I continued to drop little by little, then back up again, then drop a little more, then back up again. Though I've gotten down to 168 a couple of times, I've been bouncing around between that at 180 since early fall, and I've had it. I moved over the summer, which is part of the cause of my troubles. New town, new friends. It's hard to make new friends when you're sitting at home alone, no matter how healthy it may make you! So my little cheats (mainly alcohol, and occasionally nachos, never wheat or sugar) started getting closer and closer together. "Once a week" started to turn into once a week for five days straight...not helpful!
    So with the holidays upon us, I am committing to a new experimental challenge, a cyclic egg fast. I tend to do well, for short periods, at least, on limited diets as a sort of "reset." I did a "milk cure" with raw milk a couple of months ago and got to my low point (168) quickly and comfortably - but boy did I miss chewing! So maybe this will be better? I won't know until I try!
    I started yesterday at midday after doing some reading on the subject. Before that I had Bulletproof coffee and a glass of raw milk. I didn't weigh myself yesterday but the day before I was at 182.6 (yowza!). This morning 179.6.

The basic idea is a zero-carb, high fat, moderate protein diet, guided by eggs! I did have sausage this morning because I had some that was EXPENSIVE (local, organic, pastured, yaddah yaddah yaddah) and about to go bad. But I just had it in place of eggs and I don't think it harmed the macros too much, just didn't supply that hefty dose of choline eggs are so good for.

I got the idea from: What is The Egg Diet Weight Loss Fast? - Ketogenic Woman
    Right now I am sticking to the egg fast until family holiday festivities begin tomorrow night and pick right back up on Friday. Thanksgiving in my family is a reasonably healthy affair - basically fish and vegetables - so no big worries there. After Thanksgiving I plan to do the egg fast for several days each week and eat LCHF/Primal the rest of the time to help prevent boredom. If I could get back down under 170 by Christmas, I would be thrilled. We'll see how it goes!

Overall starting weight: 223
    Current weight: 179.6
    Happy weight: 160 (I have felt pretty good at this weight in the past, but I'm 5'3.5'', so it's really still pretty heavy)
    Ultimate goal: 145 (lowest I have ever been as an adult)
    Dream goal: 135 (I think I weighed this when I was about 10...)

Yesterday went quite well, except I think I ate too much. Mainly I scheduled my meals quite poorly. First thing in the morning (I guess I was up and moving around about 8:30) I had my BPC with an egg yolk and saved the egg white. At 12:30 I made some sausage that I had that was about to go bad and was too expensive to waste. I cooked up the leftover egg whites in the fat left behind by the sausage. And had that alongside. About 4:30 (because you're supposed to eat every 3-5 hours) I made a three egg omelette with 2 oz raw cheddar (Jimmy's plan allows up to 6 oz of no-carb cheese to keep it from getting too boring). I didn't want to eat late and interfere with my sleep, so shortly after 7:00 I ate another 2 egg omelette. I intended to put only a little cheese in it, but I was on the phone with my boyfriend while I was cooking and accidentally dropped the cheese block into the egg, so I just grated that entire side of the cheese into it. I wasn't hungry to begin with and that omelette turned out to be way bigger than I intended, hence the feeling that I ate too much. So that plus the sausage probably cut into my success a little, but I was still down .6 this morning to 179. I'll take it!

I am drinking my BPC right now without egg yolk because I'm out of the eggs I trust. I'll have some scrambled eggs for lunch and probably skip the cheese in preparation for the big day tomorrow. I'll be with my sister for the next two days starting tonight and things get kinda tense between us when my food restrictions get in the way too much (especially since she strongly disapproves of my choice to eat meat) so I will have to be somewhat flexible while the family is around (parents are less averse to my restrictions, though it still can be troublesome because we all have so many and they don't all match). But as long as I stay wheat, soy, and sugar free I feel like I can do okay. I may or may not splurge on a small serving of my brother-in-law's famous cornbread dressing. What will get me into the most trouble is the booze.
    So my Thanksgiving goal is to gain no more than I have lost in the past two days, so that the egg diet will have effectively allowed me to break even while still enjoying most of the holiday festivities. That doesn't mean I PLAN to gain, but that I will not allow myself to be upset if I do. It IS the holidays after all! And I will be eating outside my normal parameters, no matter what. There's only so much control one can have over family meals, and only so much conflict worth creating. The stress of enforcing my dietary restrictions on my family would cancel out any health benefit I might reap from enforcing them, considering how far from the SAD my family's Thanksgiving meals are. I expect wild or sustainable fish, Brussels sprouts, kale, cauliflower (which I am making so I know exactly what's in it!), cornbread dressing, maybe butternut squash, and possibly some kind of creamy desert made with maple syrup or raw honey. All or mostly organic, no trans-fats, PUFA, CAFO, fried foods, refined sugars, or unpronounceable chemicals. I'm pretty lucky in that regard, I guess!

So, life happened. I didn't get right back to the egg fast after Thanksgiving. But it had the desired effect. I did not get all the way back up to my pre-fast weight over Thanksgiving, and today I am back to 179.8. I ate deviled eggs at a local restaurant for lunch yesterday and steak and vegetables for dinner, but then I went to a charity party and had a few drinks, so I'll be working off the alcohol for a few days...
    I had a late night last night and a slow start this morning so I'm just now drinking my BPC and will make my first round of eggs as soon as it's gone. I also ordered 3 dozen eggs from a local farmer where my boyfriend lives which I will be able to pick up Wednesday when I go to see him. So I'll egg fast today through Wednesday and then party party for a couple of days (three holiday parties in a row this week...hopefully all that delicious choline in the eggs will help protect my liver!), then back to eggs for a few days, and so forth.

I guess today is the official restart day. I more or less started yesterday, but I had some leftover steak and veggies to finish and had to make one meal of that instead of eggs. I am way too poor to let good, healthy food go to waste! So my starting weight today was 181.2. Up some from yesterday morning but oh well. I will continue through Wednesday but Wednesday-Saturday I have obligations that are likely to have me eating pretty far outside of my normal diet, unfortunately, so the best I can really hope for is much like Thanksgiving - that maybe I can counter-balance an anticipated gain by dropping a few pounds ahead of it. I will do my best during those few days but I will have limited control over my options.
    So far today I've had my Bulletproof coffee and a two-egg omelette cooked in about a tablespoon of Kerrygold and filled with about 1-2 oz of raw cheddar. Delicious! I like to leave a little of the cheese on the plate so it melts under the omelette when I transfer it out of the skillet. So yummy! I'll have a couple of fried eggs in a couple of hours. I have to go to an event at 6:00 so I won't be able to space my second and third meals out as far as I would like, but I don't want to wait until after the event to eat because then I'll never wake up in the morning.

So I had a couple of glasses of wine last night at a function where the only other option was sugary sodas (seriously not even a water fountain), but where I had to do a lot of talking and keeping my whistle wet (and my nerves steady) so going thirsty was not a good option. Other than that yesterday went well. I started with my two-egg and raw cheddar omelette after my BPC, had fried eggs around mid-afternoon, and ended up waiting until after the function to eat another round of fried eggs with a piece of raw sheep cheese. I don't normally like to eat that late (it was about 8:30) and I think that plus the alcohol has thrown my system off just a little bit (nothing is "moving" yet this morning) but I was still down 1.4 lb to 179.8, so I'll take it.

Helluva day for sticking to a plan like egg fasting. But I did it! I have no heat, but I ate my eggs! And successfully resisted the temptation to get a drink to cope with the stress of the day! And then I'm glad I did because one of my good friends who has been a shut-in this week for finals called and we had a long chat. None of the stress is that important, just annoying and beyond my control and getting in the way of me getting work done and getting finished with my dissertation so I can get a real job and get on with my life. But it is what it is.

So on Wednesday morning, I was down to 178.4. I went out of town, dependent on hosts and office parties and restaurants for my meals. Tried to do well but was somewhat limited in my options and a couple of times simply let myself get so hungry that desperation kicked in and basically the whole thing was a food disaster. But here I am, home again, sick and with no heat, but eating my eggs. Restart weight 184.4.

tatchonset is offline Junior Member
    the best I can really hope for is much like Thanksgiving - that maybe I can counter-balance an anticipated gain by dropping a few pounds ahead of it. I will do my best during those few days but I will have limited control over my options.

I have been egg fasting since Sunday. Down from 184.4 to 178.8. Yay! All of my trip weight is gone! Yeah yeah yeah, water weight, I know I know. But I still prefer for it to be gone! I can at least feel like I'm starting back at square one, and during the holiday season, that's just about as good as it gets.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A dilemma: Go out and buy a bottle of whiskey to make some hot toddies/grandpa's cough medicine to help knock myself out tonight (after three sleepless nights) or suffer through it. I'm not sure I will be a productive human being tomorrow if I lose another night of sleep. But I'm not sure that the amount it might take to knock me out would be worth it. Decisions decisions...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast