Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm beginning to think that... page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

I'm beginning to think that...

Shop Now
    calories are the only thing that matters to me in terms of weight gain/loss.

I can lose weight while eating plenty of carbs while remaining below maintenance.

And I can gain weight by eating VLC at slightly above maintenance.

In fact, I think the former might actually be more efficient! Most the carbs I eat would be burnt through weight lifting, of which I do plenty. However, fats cannot be burned likewise, at least not in the same way carbs do.

I think this whole "carbs are the only thing that matter" is a huge myth in this (paleo/primal/low-carb/you name it) community.

Anyone else feel the same?
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post

I can lose weight while eating plenty of carbs while remaining below maintenance.

In fact, I think the former might actually be more efficient! Most the carbs I eat would be burnt through weight lifting, of which I do plenty. However, fats cannot be burned likewise, at least not in the same way carbs do.

I think this whole "carbs are the only thing that matter" is a huge myth in this (paleo/primal/low-carb/you name it) community.

nope

Roach is offline Senior Member
    Nope. But I also don't think "carbs are the only thing that matter" provides anything close to an accurate snapshot of this community.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I agree based on my experience. I started PB after years of doing the CW way of dieting. I would eat 40/40/20 ratios, calculate my calories carefully and I could go up or down in weight simply by controlling my caloric intake. However, when I found PB, it sounded very natural and made sense. So, to experiment, I tracked my calories, but my ratios were now 35/15/50, P/C/F. After about four to six weeks, there was little to no change in my weight even though I drastically reduced the carb intake. However, when I lowered my caloric intake but kept those same primal ratios, I began to lose weight.

Over the last two months, I have decided to listen to my body and give up counting calories. This has really worked for me. I eat when I am hungry, I don't when I am not. I eat 2-3 big meals per day, with little to no snacking. Since doing this, I have lost 5 pounds and feel more fit than I was before.
    I eat a lot of fat, meats, eggs, oils, and non-starchy veggies. A few times each week I have some nuts, fruit and a sweet potato. I feel really good where I am with my diet right now.

My exercise program is from Simplefit.org, plus sprints once per week. At work, instead of sitting at my desk all day, I have a shelf that I put my laptop on so I can stand and work. I stand about 70% of the day now, which has greatly helped my back and tight hamstrings. In addition, I am sure it burns some extra calories.

But back to the topic, yes, I believe calories matter. In my opinion, the low carb eating helps curb one's appetite and reduces the urge to binge or have to snack throughout the day. I can go 6-8 hours without eating and I feel fine. On the old CW diet, I would be light-headed after 3 hours if I didn't have one of my 5-6 meals I ate per day.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Understand we're facing epidemics of metabolic syndrome and diabetes right now. Myself included, this huge demographic needs to function on lower carbs. For many people that isn't true, but even they can benefit from increased hormonal sensitivities and gene expressions by keeping the blood glucose spikes minimal long-term.

You seem to really struggle with the lifestyle. That's fine. At your age, I was in phenomenal condition fueled by pizza and beer. I mocked the Atkins diet mercilessly back then (early 80s).

PB is a lifestyle not a diet. It is based on solid evidence. Calorie and energy deficits are important to weight loss for most people, but not all if you read the forums and believe the testimonies. I have a forked metabolism and only lose (currently) with somewhat extreme calorie restriction, which I do not mind at all, because a low carb primal diet is satiating. That is hugely important and supported by research. I looked into diet for months before deciding, and I am a good student. I could not find a better way to live.

MuaythaiNez is offline Junior Member

i second that!! agree with you in that one!
    however, when I train clients or give advice to people re lifestyle and weight loss I would never advise calorie counting of course as it has been used in the wrong context and helped the obsession of low-fat starvation dieting.

i also really dont follow bold statements like you said about 'carbs are the only thing that matter', as im not a fan of these generalised statements. we have to listen to what our body tells us with regards to what we eat.

I'm interested, what carbs are you talking about when you say you have lost weight?

Putting on weight with VLC is maybe thanks to the great calorific fats and protein that we love!

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    I agree. Im one for moderate/cyclogenic carb intake.

Use it like it's supposed to be used(as fuel) and your good. Moderate and cyclo does just that. Tailor it to your daily needs. Lots of workout and activity, add carbs if you feel like it. Sedentary, lounging day? Go keto for all i care. =)
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I'm liking your responses. Let me just say this. I'm not disputing against primal/paleo lifestyle (Just look how many posts I have and how long I've been here). It's just that some of you seem so reluctant to accept ideas just because they are part of CW. It get's to the point of fanaticism. http://leangains.blogspot.com/2009/0...-talibans.html And THAT is unhealthy. Been there.

Anyways, what I'm saying might not apply to the obese already with metabolic problems, I won't go there.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

MuaythaiNez is offline Junior Member
    I'm liking your responses. Let me just say this. I'm not disputing against primal/paleo lifestyle (Just look how many posts I have and how long I've been here). It's just that some of you seem so reluctant to accept ideas just because they are part of CW. It get's to the point of fanaticism. http://leangains.blogspot.com/2009/0...-talibans.html And THAT is unhealthy. Been there.

Anyways, what I'm saying might not apply to the obese already with metabolic problems, I won't go there.

Yeah it defo is unhealthy to get to that point. I was very bad in the past with hormone imbalance history i found myself believing everything must be low GI (this is before i knew about PB btw) and was very scared of carbs. Now, admittedly i dont eat that many carbs but that is because my overgrowing love for good fats and proteins keeping me more satisfied. Dont get me wrong i would never shy away from some tasty yam and sweet potato

i know i always say this...but QUALITY of calories is very important!!

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, some people completely reject ALL CW too. Some of that stuff is actually legit.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast