Thread: Sudden Stomach Distention. Why Am I So "Fat"? page

Benpercent is offline Junior Member

Sudden Stomach Distention. Why Am I So "Fat"?

Primal Fuel
    Hello all. Right now I'm engaging in a voluntary homeless experiment which has been going on for 1 year and 6 months now, and I'm a little puzzled about sudden onset stomach distention.

Stomach distention is a part of the phenomenon of bloating. It's when your gut sticks out way beyond its normal waistline, as if one is pregnant. However, in my case there's no feeling of fullness or pain in the abdominal area, so I think it's most precise just to consider stomach distention on its own rather than incorporate it into bloating.

In my case, I'm puzzled because even though I've been eating a "homeless diet" for over one year now I never had any problems with my gut sticking out, and now suddenly last week it's begun to do so, and does so under inconsistent circumstances. Sometimes my gut balloons up hours after a meal (and without snacking in the meanwhile). Today I ate a sliver of raw tuna and moments later my gut puffed up. Then, bizarrely, after I ate a larger meal of uncured pork sausage and some mozzarella cheese my gut barely responded at all.

My strongest suspicious is that it's water weight. I've been self-medicating on dark chocolate for a very, very long time now (about or over 2 years), and in these past three weeks I've made some major strides in getting myself off the stuff. I've gone some weeks either going absolutely without or having only 1-2 indulgences (3oz-3.5oz) during the week before readily getting back on track. This has allowed me to start repairing my adrenal fatigue.

As part of healing my adrenal fatigue, I started craving lots and lots of salt. I read that sodium is needed during the healing process, so in the one week where my salt cravings were their strongest I ate about three bags of potato chips cooked in olive oil, had a burger or two with mustard and bacon on it (no bread), and salted whatever food I could.

(I know eating an entire bag of potato chips might sound like excess, but my logic is that a single bag might contain a single potato after all. How much would a baked potato weigh? If it's alright to eat a single baked potato, what's wrong with the equivalent of chips? Plus, I chose the chips since my body responds well to them; hot baked potatoes tend to give me the sniffles, whereas the cooled chips seem to get digested differently.)

For how long I ate that way I experienced no symptoms. Then I had my first payday at my new job, and excited at being infused with new funds -- I was flat broke until then after running out of my savings -- I enjoyed a bag of sweet potato chips, a moderate handful of nuts, and a bar of chocolate. (Nuts are a rarity in my diet.) It was immediately afterward my gut started hanging out, and started doing it regularly.

And like I said above, it's not only persisting but also responds weirdly, such as puffing up even when I haven't eaten or just take a bite of food, and then won't react at all when I eat a larger meal.

I think it's water weight since it's far beyond normal for me to consume that much salt (as it was abnormal for me to crave that much), so perhaps I'm swelling up because of that and just need to be stricter on chocolate and wait to excrete it all out. I checked the FODMAPS and I eat very, very little and few of irritating foods in that area, so I can't think of any other obvious culprit.

Though, could I be missing something?

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benpercent View Post
    Hello all. Right now I'm engaging in a voluntary homeless experiment which has been going on for 1 year and 6 months now, and I'm a little puzzled about sudden onset stomach distention.

Stomach distention is a part of the phenomenon of bloating. It's when your gut sticks out way beyond its normal waistline, as if one is pregnant. However, in my case there's no feeling of fullness or pain in the abdominal area, so I think it's most precise just to consider stomach distention on its own rather than incorporate it into bloating.

In my case, I'm puzzled because even though I've been eating a "homeless diet" for over one year now I never had any problems with my gut sticking out, and now suddenly last week it's begun to do so, and does so under inconsistent circumstances. Sometimes my gut balloons up hours after a meal (and without snacking in the meanwhile). Today I ate a sliver of raw tuna and moments later my gut puffed up. Then, bizarrely, after I ate a larger meal of uncured pork sausage and some mozzarella cheese my gut barely responded at all.

My strongest suspicious is that it's water weight. I've been self-medicating on dark chocolate for a very, very long time now (about or over 2 years), and in these past three weeks I've made some major strides in getting myself off the stuff. I've gone some weeks either going absolutely without or having only 1-2 indulgences (3oz-3.5oz) during the week before readily getting back on track. This has allowed me to start repairing my adrenal fatigue.

As part of healing my adrenal fatigue, I started craving lots and lots of salt. I read that sodium is needed during the healing process, so in the one week where my salt cravings were their strongest I ate about three bags of potato chips cooked in olive oil, had a burger or two with mustard and bacon on it (no bread), and salted whatever food I could.

(I know eating an entire bag of potato chips might sound like excess, but my logic is that a single bag might contain a single potato after all. How much would a baked potato weigh? If it's alright to eat a single baked potato, what's wrong with the equivalent of chips? Plus, I chose the chips since my body responds well to them; hot baked potatoes tend to give me the sniffles, whereas the cooled chips seem to get digested differently.)

For how long I ate that way I experienced no symptoms. Then I had my first payday at my new job, and excited at being infused with new funds -- I was flat broke until then after running out of my savings -- I enjoyed a bag of sweet potato chips, a moderate handful of nuts, and a bar of chocolate. (Nuts are a rarity in my diet.) It was immediately afterward my gut started hanging out, and started doing it regularly.

And like I said above, it's not only persisting but also responds weirdly, such as puffing up even when I haven't eaten or just take a bite of food, and then won't react at all when I eat a larger meal.

I think it's water weight since it's far beyond normal for me to consume that much salt (as it was abnormal for me to crave that much), so perhaps I'm swelling up because of that and just need to be stricter on chocolate and wait to excrete it all out. I checked the FODMAPS and I eat very, very little and few of irritating foods in that area, so I can't think of any other obvious culprit.

Though, could I be missing something?
    I'd say you are missing a few marbles.

gdot is online now Senior Member
    Clearly something is going on with your digestion.

Bloating.
    What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member
    Parasites??
    Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
    34yrs old, 5'5"
    CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
    GW: 135lbs or less
    Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like bad food combining or some sort of food allergies...

Quote Originally Posted by Benpercent View Post
    I've been eating a "homeless diet" for over one year now
    Sorry I have nothing useful to contribute as far as diagnosing your problem (never heard of anything like this), although I will say that you have a better chance of figuring out what's going on if you start eating in a consistent manner for a longer period of time. Makes it easier to isolate and tweak variables, since right now your habits sound kind of random.

I'm curious about this homeless diet thing though, how does it work? Do you raid supermarket/restaurant dumpsters at night for "expired" food that's probably still good? Sounds interesting.

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    I thought perhaps the homeless diet = no cooking and no refrigeration, based on the foods that the OP listed...
    Last edited by TQP; Yesterday at 09:09 AM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    I'd say you are missing a few marbles.
    lol... +1

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Homeless diet??? Hobo coffee, cheap liquor, rodents and random road kills grilled over an open fire…
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…