Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Success Journal (yogamama77) page

yogamama77 is offline Member

Primal Success Journal (yogamama77)

Primal Fuel
    Hi.

I have been reading Mark's blog and all the Primal Blueprint literature for about a year and slowly making some changes, but today I'm making a full commitment.

Yay.

I have 6 kids ages 1-13 (5 of them go to school) and I'm often overwhelmed and exhausted. Oh, and I also provide in-home childcare for two 9-month olds. Ha! That's as good a time as any to start a Primal Lifestyle, don't you think?

My husband is - in his words - "opposed to being Primal" because he views it as a fad and he LOVES his carbs. He's lucky to only weigh 145 pounds, the same weight he has been since high school. At least 3 times a week he pulls out "Fun Bread" (french bread) and he and the kids all sit around the table slathering multiple slices of bread with Nutella. He has agreed to eat my primal dinners with the option to add his own bread. The kids enjoy cereal and crackers regularly, but I'm hoping to slowly tempt them to "my side" of the line.

Reasons I'm Going Primal:
    1. I want to live a life of vitality, energy, and optimism.
    2. I want to be an example to my children of what health and vitality look/feel like.
    3. I want to have greater mastery of my emotions (which isn't easy when constantly battling a sugar crash).
    4. I want to lose 50 pounds.

I'm excited!

Exercise: Currently I do yoga 2-3 times a week. It's a life saver for me because it helps me get grounded and release stress so I can go back home and be a good mom again. A side benefit is that it builds strength. I also walk 10-20 minutes every morning and in the warmer months (we live in WISCONSIN) our family enjoys hiking. Now that it's cold we will do some skiing (yes, you can SKI in Wisconsin!)

Today is my Day 1, so here goes:

B: Smoothie (1/4 c berries, 1 c. coconut milk, 1 T. flax meal, 1 t. chia seeds, 1/3 c. whey protein isolate, and a dash of kelp powder (for iodine).

S: 1/4 c. whole organic cottage cheese, 10 macadamia nuts

L: Chorizo Scrambled Eggs (1/2 red bell pepper, 1/4 onion, chorizo sausage & 2 eggs - recipe from Paleo Meal Plan App for iPhone)

S: 2 Paleo Chocolate Chunk Cookies (recipe from Paleo Meal Plan iPhone App)

D: Chicken Breast fried in coconut oil, smothered with pesto, sauteed green beans, salad with homemade vinaigrette dressing.

Exercise: 20 minute walk, 10 minutes of yoga.

Thought of the Day: Primal Living is Easy with a Little Planning

Second Thought of the Day: I'm Cleaning Out My Arteries. AND - I'm AMAZING!

Recent Success: I played 7 Wonders with my husband and kids 2 nights in a row (and put aside my "to do" list). It was fun to play!

Question: Is sea salt better than regular iodized salt? I read that sea salt users often have iodine deficiencies.

Today's Primal Awesomeness:

1. I cleaned out the cupboards and put my non-primal husband's stuff into one place (that I don't often see).
    2. Made a poster of the "10 Primal Blueprint Laws" and "10 Habits of Highly Successful Hunter-Gatherers"
    3. I spent time making friends on the MDA Forum - my Primal support community is crucial.
    4. I'm still deciding how my personal primal program is going to look. Some people say you need 80/20 to have long-term success (and to avoid social isolation that comes with never eating the same foods as other people). Other folks say they do great with 100% Primal. One person suggested 2 perfect meals daily. Another said to have a 6-8 hour window of eating.

The day has only begun. I'll post again later with my stats for the day.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    welcome - and best of luck! I hope you can transition the troops into this way of eating - as the kids will benefit a lifetime of good health by doing so.

6 kids and a husband who aren't primal/paleo will pose a huge challenge so be prepared. That seems to be the best advice I've been given since my 3 year primal journey began. Never run out of the food that you need - that will keep you from straying back into the world of the SAD. Also, if you need something sweet (or a treat) keep it primal. Make ahead and freeze grain free cakes or other yummies. Then you will have something when the mood strikes.

Read post #2626
    my motivation

Things I choose to let go:

All grains - including rice
    Refined sugars
    Legumes - including peanut butter
    Nuts and nut butters
    Alcohol and soda
    Chocolate
    Acidic foods, such as pineapple and tomato
    Coffee and tea
    Eggs
    Curry
    White potato
    Dairy - including butter

I'm choosing to do this......... I don't HAVE to.

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Welcome!

I am half Wisconsonian. My Mom was born and raised in Madison.

Just a thought on your long term success thread. I didn't want to post this there.

There are many of us who have not been able to be 100% (or even 80%) faithful to Primal for various reasons. Maybe we have even regained and lost weight multiple times. However that does not mean that we do not have long term success. As a Primal person for over 4 years, I have kept most of the weight off and have gained many things with my renewed health despite an ongoing binge eating disorder. I think for people that have life long food issues, no way of eating can solve every problem.

MDA is a great place with great people. Enjoy!

tomi is offline Senior Member
    ^ *like
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Things I choose to let go:

All grains - including rice
    Refined sugars
    Legumes - including peanut butter
    Nuts and nut butters
    Alcohol and soda
    Chocolate
    Acidic foods, such as pineapple and tomato
    Coffee and tea
    Eggs
    Curry
    White potato
    Dairy - including butter

I'm choosing to do this......... I don't HAVE to.

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Pebbles that is a good point. Improvement is success in my book. That's all any of us can hope for in the end. 😊

The happiness of others is my own happiness. -Deepak Chopra

Here comes a headache... hello paleo flu. Boo!

I will just drink water like crazy and go to bed as soon as possible with a good book.

Guess I should add a salad, protein & fat to that plan so I don't starve on top of the headache. I got this!

catgirl320 is offline Senior Member
    Hey there. Popping in to say hi. We went to Wisconsin last year for wedding in Madison. Summer is beautiful there, not sure I could deal with winters...brrrr.

On all the different ways to eat primal...the general advice is to start with getting comfortable with the new way of eating before you then start trying hacks like eating windows. Since you are having to ease your family into it too, if you start doing things like only eating from 12 to 6 or whatever, they are going to be even more resistant to your efforts. So do a satisfying breakfast, lunch, dinner, then in a couple of months evaluate your progress and decide then if you want to try fasting a couple times/week or whatever.

Also, spend the next couple of months just making good food without saying the word paleo. It was probably about 6 months before my husband realized there was a label for it. All he knew was I was setting things like pot roast, and roasted veggies/tubers in front of him. He couldn't really argue since he was eating REALLY well, lol. With your kids you can talk about whole foods, and it doesn't have to sound weird.

There's some really great cookbooks and blogs if you need ideas. I really like the PB cookbooks, they are good basic recipes. I like Primal Cravings - everything I've tried has been delicious. Another good one is The Paleo Approach Cookbook.

Hope your headache improves. How many carbs/day are you aiming for?

Hi catgirl320! Great to hear from you. My first 2 days of PB I ate the Paleo chocolate chip cookies (and lots of protein and veggies, of course) and ignored the carb counting. After everyone's feedback from a thread I posted (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread111387.html) I realized this has to be a little more strict. "A cookie is a cookie, no matter what ingredients it's made with," somebody pointed out.

Today I'm all in, shooting for 50 g carbs or less. No wheat, no grains, no sugar. My general plan is to have a whey protein smoothie for breakfast, since we were already doing that. A good portion of eggs or meat/fish for lunch and dinner with mountains of veggies cooked in olive oil, coconut oil, or butter. Snacks: macadamia nuts, hardboiled eggs, tuna, whole cottage cheese. When I'm having a tough craving, I'm going to drink lemon water (with a dash of stevia if I'm desperate), otherwise plain water. Special treat: berries with cream. This is the foundation.

I have all the PB cookbooks and just ordered a few others. I will order Primal Cravings. I'm not messing with an eating window yet, or fasting. Good advice about not mentioning "Primal/Paleo." Just cooking well. You're right... I think they'll like the food I'm making.

Headache is gone right now, but I certainly have brain fog. I just can't think or make decisions as quickly as usual and I find myself less motivated to accomplish my to-do list.

Just went to 1 hour of intense yoga, which was really nice. I need that me-time.

My husband just invited me on a lunch date. Hmmm... I have an app on my phone that should tell me where I can find a Paleo-type meal. Wish me luck.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Headache is back, plus cravings. I had 2 squares very dark chocolate dipped in cashew butter and now I'm going to just ride this out while resting in bed.

I'm motivated. I created a nice graphic listing all the benefits of a primal lifestyle. That list is quite long in comparison to the cons, which for me are social disconnection at times and cravings. That's a short list.

The happiness of others is my own happiness. -Deepak Chopra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast