Thread: Venison and Cilantro page

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member

Venison and Cilantro

Primal Fuel
    Found the last of the venison in the freezer, decided to do a main meal lunch today, having skipped breakfast.

Turns out venison chops in a cilantro-cream sauce is a wonderful, simple thing. Salt and pepper, garlic, too. I thought perhaps I was being too risky with the precious last servings--cilantro is such a summer herb, and I associate venison with winter--but the flavor combo is definitely a keeper.
    Last edited by gottaluvalab; 07-10-2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: typo

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the idea. Cilantro grows wild in my gardens almost through Thanksgiving. I tend to overuse it. It seems once the taste is acquired, everything is improved, fresher, brighter tasting with cilantro. Then some think it tastes like soap. I made a thick cilantro pesto that works nicely on smoked pork shoulder with chopped tomatoes.

My cilantro has gone woody. The flavor is okay, but it's not that lovely soft herb any more, and it's not quite as bright and grassy as when it's young. Suggestions welcome. Perhaps I just need to move the pot to the shade??? Or, I bought it started--perhaps it's just not a good variety, or it was an old plant.

Anyway, I was pinching it WAAAYYYY back and thought, "Hmmmm, why not give it a try?"

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I let about half of mine bolt and reseed. It really struggles in the heat of summer, but comes back for a fall crop this way.

AutumnP is offline Senior Member
    When I first saw the thread title, I wondered about the combo, but what you did sounds yummy... cilantro is my fave herb ever.

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Could you share your cilantro/cream sauce recipe? I LOVE cilantro, but I cannot grow it here in Tidewater, Virginia -- way too hot. I do have tons of thyme (2 kinds), sage, rosemary, three kinds of basil, lavender (not for cooking) -- cilantro only lasts for a short time, even in shade, but I do buy and use it all summer (only about 60 cents a bunch!)

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Angieh View Post
    Could you share your cilantro/cream sauce recipe? I LOVE cilantro, but I cannot grow it here in Tidewater, Virginia -- way too hot. I do have tons of thyme (2 kinds), sage, rosemary, three kinds of basil, lavender (not for cooking) -- cilantro only lasts for a short time, even in shade, but I do buy and use it all summer (only about 60 cents a bunch!)
    Um, I'm embarrassed. I'm definitely what one would call a "home cook." I'm sure it's technically not even a "cream sauce." It would probably be better if it were.

Anyway--in the pan I seared the chops in, I added a good pat of butter, a smashed garlic clove, a bit more pepper; waited until the garlic was fragrant; tossed in a handful of chopped cilantro and a good splash of heavy cream; warmed it through.

It wasn't thick, smooth, or even white (scraped up the brown bits, you know). Less than fancy. But it was pretty yummy for lunch by myself at the kitchen table.