Thread: Primal Journal (Frecs) page

Frecs is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (Frecs)

I'm here to explore the world of the Primal Blueprint and how to apply it to my "experiment of one". I've been researching and experimenting with Paleo AIP, Wahls Protocol (Paleo Plus), and ketogenic information. I've listened to a few youtube interviews of Mark and am interested in what his approach is and how it may help me. So, I'm embarking on my own Primal Challenge.

My challenges: fibromyalgia, insulin resistant, thyroid resistant, metabolic disorder, estrogen dominance, and excess cortisol. And, yes, I am morbidly obese (5'5" and 260lbs).

My Naturopath is hesitant about ketosis as it may adversely affect my thyroid. My D.O. is going to monitor my thyroid levels but he also doesn't think ketosis or "near ketosis (50-75g carbs)" will work for me. So, my medical team is not enthusiastically on board with my experimenting with this process. But, I am willing to try anyway because nothing else works.

Day 1:
    Breakfast: Zucchini cheese, 2 eggs fried in coconut oil, 1/2 cup butternut squash, 1 cup duck bone broth w/coconut aminos.
    AM snack: zucchini cheese and herbal tea (Tulsi)

WOD: Wall Pushups (15), Squats (15), Planks (20secs + 15sec ea side)

Too cold out for homestead projects. Tended animals: busted the ice on the duck pools, watered and fed rabbits, fed birds.

Lunch: Blueberry Duck Liver Mousse, Zucchini Hummus, Zucchini cheese, duck bone broth.

No dinner as I didn't have time to eat before church and after church it was too late.
    Last edited by Frecs; 11-20-2014 at 08:33 AM.

Day 2:

Another frosty cold start to the day. This weather is very out of the norm for us this time of year.

I took care of the animals (Country Miles kits now have their eys open and they are fat and sassy! She does such a good job.) and then hauled trashbags of leaf mulch from the front to the back to dump the mulch onto the hugelkultur bed in progress.

I can feel evidence in my muscles from the workout yesterday. Not bad and no lactic acid build-up. I reminded myself that Vitamin C is my friend for lactic acid removal. I need to increase my vitamin C intake so I can handle more exercise. I'm going to order a dvd or two from PraiseMoves for additional exercise options.

Breakfast: 1/2 cup of butternut squash, a small onion sauteed in coconut oil, 2 pastured eggs fried and herbal tea (tulsi peppermint).

Lunch: Salad (Spring Greens, Spinach, mushrooms, celery, walnut bits, olives, chicken breast, cranberries, broccoli, balsamic vinegar. Kombucha.

WOD: Walked in the sunshine at morning break and afternoon break. Beautiful day here in sunny but colder-than-it-should-be southeast NC!

Supper: Organic beef patty (5 ounces), sauteed onions, zucchini hummus
    Last edited by Frecs; 11-21-2014 at 10:48 AM.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Hi Frecs

welcome to the journey........... we're all here for different reasons - but I think the biggest is to find a way to better health.

We are similar in age, size and health issues. I am 54, have fibromyalgia, digestive issues, hypothyroidism (on Armour) and am 5'3" and 190 pounds. I also have cortisol that is out of whack. I just sent in a spit test and am waiting for the results. A couple years ago I had messed up cortisol and doc put me on a 6 month regimen of high dose B vitamins and some other stuff that was helpful in getting things back on track........ but, I'm having the same symptoms again so time to check as see whats happening.

I mentioned in another post of yours that it might be good for you to seek out a Functional Medicine Doctor. If you haven't heard of this --- its an MD who has realized western medicine is broken, has grown tired of handing out pills to mask symptoms, and has taken extra training to learn how to treat illness and imbalances by finding the root cause instead of just listing and treating symptoms. When you're dealing with so many hormonal issues - finding the cause is imperative.

Amy Myers MD

This is a good place to start for an introduction to functional medicine. Also, Dr. Sarah Gottfried --- and many others you can find on the web. Let me know if I can help you find more info.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Hi Frecs

welcome to the journey........... we're all here for different reasons - but I think the biggest is to find a way to better health.

We are similar in age, size and health issues. I am 54, have fibromyalgia, digestive issues, hypothyroidism (on Armour) and am 5'3" and 190 pounds. I also have cortisol that is out of whack. I just sent in a spit test and am waiting for the results. A couple years ago I had messed up cortisol and doc put me on a 6 month regimen of high dose B vitamins and some other stuff that was helpful in getting things back on track........ but, I'm having the same symptoms again so time to check as see whats happening.

I mentioned in another post of yours that it might be good for you to seek out a Functional Medicine Doctor. If you haven't heard of this --- its an MD who has realized western medicine is broken, has grown tired of handing out pills to mask symptoms, and has taken extra training to learn how to treat illness and imbalances by finding the root cause instead of just listing and treating symptoms. When you're dealing with so many hormonal issues - finding the cause is imperative.

Amy Myers MD

This is a good place to start for an introduction to functional medicine. Also, Dr. Sarah Gottfried --- and many others you can find on the web. Let me know if I can help you find more info.
    We do seem to have a lot in common. I also am on Armour as of this summer and have cortisol issues and estrogen dominance. I've had fibro since 2002. My naturopath has me on a good regimen of supplements to address the hormones. My D.O. (used mostly for the easy insurance-access to labwork) is curious to see how the diet works for me. He is hoping, in his words, to 'become famous around here"....whatever doc! hehehehe

Day 3

Friday before I have a week long holiday! The sun is shining and despite rough seas at work, I'm in a good mood and full of hope for the future.

Slept in a bit so only tended the animals this morning.

Breakfast: 3 eggs, sauteed onion, and 1/3 of a small potato fried in coconut oil. and Herbal tea (Tulsi)

Weather permitting I have a busy week ahead: winterizing the windows, mowing and relocating the leaves being dropped by the pecan and oak trees (and picking up pecans!), building the roof supports for the new bird housing and getting those covered with vinyl (old billboard signs) and putting up a fence for their new Bird Compound, working on fixing up a 5-hole rabbit cage, working on the new rabbitry...we'll see how much actually gets done!

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    sounds like a productive week!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation