Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help understanding a few items page

marktripp is offline Senior Member

I need help understanding a few items

Primal Fuel
    So I have finally received my PB cook book and now I have some questions on ingredients. So here they are.
    Extra virgin coconut oil?
    Unrefined coconut oil?
    I purchased LouAna pure coconut oil, nowhere on it does it say extra virgin or unrefined, it just says ingredient: coconut oil.
    Coconut milk: I bought the imperial dragon brand, I didnít look at ingredients when I bought it because it sayís coconut milk on the front. When I got home I looked on the back and the ingredient are: Coconut milk, guar gum, polysorbate60(emulsifier) and potassium metabisulphite(preservative). Is this the normal stuff or did I make a bad decision by not looking at the label?
    I also see a lot of coconut flour and almond flour would I be able to find this in a grocery store or should I be looking in a health food store?
    And another question walnut meal, is it just really fine walnuts? Iím sure there will be more to follow once I really get into the cooking mood.

Disregard the walnut meal question, just read it in the cook book.

Now a maple syrup question. I have a friend that makes his own maple syrup, the pumkin muffins call out grade B or less. Any idea what homeade grade is, and when it says or less does that mean grade A or C? What is the reason?

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Grade B is less refined, and harder to find. If you were going to eat maple syrup (I don't recommend) then grade B is the way to go.

Don't know about the coconut oil- but if you use the search function for the forums and look around a bit, I know the answer is out there.

All canned coconut milk has at least guar gum added. The other stuff? Yo no se. I say use those cans then remember to read the labels in the future and get the milk with the least crap added.

Coconut flour and almond flour- might be at a regular (but good) grocery store- most likely in the ever popular "GLUTEN FREE" shopping area. Most definitely at a health food store.

I don't know if there is a diff between walnut flour (ground up walnuts) and walnut meal.

I definitely recommend using the search function for the forums. Not always the easiest thing to do but generally will answer most my questions with a little bit of hunting and pecking.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

I dont plan on eating the syrup, just using it in the cooking

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    You know when you use something in a recipe that you are, indeed, still eating it, right?
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Mermaid is offline Member
    Extra virgin coconut oil?
    Unrefined coconut oil?
    I also see a lot of coconut flour and almond flour would I be able to find this in a grocery store or should I be looking in a health food store?

You can read all you want to know about coconut oil and coconut flour here:

www.tropicaltraditions.com (They are having a GOOD SALE until tomorrow night!)

You don't necessarily need virgin oil for cooking, especially if your oil comes from a reliable source, grown far away from pesticides, pollution, etc. In fact the expeller pressed is neutral smelling/tasting and does not give you that coconut taste in your food.

Read the info on that website and they will explain a lot about the origins and properties of their oil. They do a really good job of educating the consumer about the products they sell. In fact, if you browse their site, you can read a good deal about many of the foods Mark mentions (fish, meats, eggs, etc.) Good luck!
    Mermaid

Mermaid is offline Member
    Trader Joe's and Whole foods have Grade B maple syrup. Some health food stores (rare, but some) carry it in bulk.
    Mermaid

Spinner is offline Senior Member
    Almond flour I found in the health food section of a good market (Raley's--same chain as Nob Hill and Bel-Air--if you are near one of them). The extra virgin coconut oil and unrefined coconut oil can be found in the health food section, altough I have found it in the Vitamin section--since coconut oil is the 'hot new' supplement--even though it has been around for EVER. It is also more expensive in the Vitamin section as well.. one brand you can look for is Spectrum.

I am guessing that homemade maple syrup is probably B grade, since I am figuring that your friend may not have the filters that the commercial producers have. If it doesn't say, chances are it is A grade. Trader Joes carries B grade. In cooking, I prefer maple syrup over honey, seems to be less of a sugar hit for me.

Please be sure and read your coconut milk label! Do get the one with the least 'stuff' in it.

Hope this helps!!
    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As an escapee from the master cleanse cult, I know too much about grade B maple syrup. I've drank a few gallons in my life. Grade A comes from the tree early in the season when the sap is really flowing. It is a little thinner, which means higher water content. Grade B is late season when the tree is nearly tapped. They have the same basic vitamins and minerals, but grade B is higher in all, a little thicker. It tastes better too if you like maple. Unfiltered is even better yet.

LouAnn is the old cheap refined coconut oil company that theatres used for popcorn. If it's a little yellow, not pure white, it's heavily refined. I have no idea what that does to the quality, but it probably isn't good.

Not sure about the coconut milk, but I have seen those ingredients in some that I have bought. They seemed like cheaper watered down products. I prefer Thai Kitchen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast