Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do with canned salmon? page

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member

What do you do with canned salmon?

I almost bought a can at the grocery store yesterday, but wanted to get some ideas for it first. The last time I opened a largish can of salmon that one of my ex-roommates left behind, I was a little surprised and grossed out. I'm used to tuna in a can...basically, just the meat of the fish. Obviously, there was more than that in the can of salmon. (skin?) So...do you use canned salmon? How do you use it? Do you use ALL of it?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

This may be a silly question, but would cooking it do anything to reduce or damage the Omega 3's in it? That's mainly the reason I wanted to pick some up.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I believe canned salmon IS cooked.

Spinner is offline Senior Member
    Yep! Canned salmon is cooked in the canning process. You could make salmon patties with it, treat it as you would tuna in salads... do crush up the bone and skin-that is where the calcium is--specially the bones, and since the salmon is cooked/canned the bones will just crumble away.
    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    I get the boneless skinless canned salmon. Otherwise, I feel like it's "carcass in a can" - the bones in particular creep me out. Just use it like you would canned tuna. You can use it for salads, patties, in soups, omelet, quiche. The ideas are limitless.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Emmelle is offline Member
    Me too. Boneless skinless in the can. I like cold salmon much better than cold tuna. I've made salmon patties but mostly I put it in a BAS. Yum yum.

Pessimist is offline Senior Member
    Ever since I was a little girl, I LOVED the salmon bones. Sooo delicious, I wish I could just buy a can of them!
    The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

I was looking on the can to see if it mentioned which parts of the salmon were in it and didn't see anything. Would it specifically say, "boneless, skinless" and if it doesn't, should I just assume that it does have those parts? And...Doh! as far as it being cooked. I should have assumed that. Are there some brands that are better than others?

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For my own tastes: Leave the skin and bones. Drain, but don't rinse it. A little mustard, touch of freshly ground pepper, a spoonful of capers, some finely chopped onion, a touch of fresh parsley if you've got it, a squeeze of lemon if you've got it, don't mix it to mush... better than tuna.

Something I love about canned salmon is that I actually prefer the cheaper brands.

I used to be able to find canned mackerel, and that was even cheaper and even better (though decidedly more fishy), but it seems it's not "good enough" to stock any more... may need to shop in a, shall we say, more economically-challenged area of town (and my area's challenged enough), because I can't find fresh chicken livers any more either...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast