Thread: No Me and No You - A Casual Primal Journal page

nomeandnoyou is offline Member

No Me and No You - A Casual Primal Journal

I'm not entirely sure if this passes the advertising or soliciting rules, if it gets taken down, I won't be offended. Anyway, I'm relatively new to Primal, having read the Blueprint a few months ago. I have loosely lived paleo for a few years, but have really bought into the Primal lifestyle having read it, and Dr Perlmutter's Grain Brain earlier this year.

In any case, I have started blogging, but Primal is only a small part of it. I can sense primal health and nutrition becoming a larger part of my life, but at the moment It's a place to work on my writing habits and develop some content creation skills.

http://www.nomeandnoyou.blogspot.com

is the website.

I'm note sure often I 'll post here, but I'll definitely keep a record of my more Primal actions.

I'm transitioning into Primal from being a non-competitive runner. I'm 29 and though I'm still young, my knees are pretty old. I'm about 185 now, but in 2007 I weight 274lb. Being that heavy for a few years, plus a lifetime of basketball definitely caused some damage. A marathon I ran in 2010 did it's fair share as well.

I'm very slowly transitioning to the Primal way of working out. I walk a fair bit. Two and from work each day, and around the neighbourhood to collect my thoughts. On average I get around 8000 steps a day. I still run and hike for a few hours a week, maybe 2-3 hours a week.

I'm really struggling with LHT. I hate weight training. It just isn't fun for me. At the moment I'm trying out bodyweight exercises. A lot of pushups, situps, squats and occasional pullups.

As far as food goes, I do alright....My latest blog post is actually an entire breakdown of my week in food. Here is a bit of it.

Meat: steak, chicken wings, meatballs, chicken, bacon and pork are our primary varieties (lamb or veal are ok, but not our favourite). We go through a tonne of tuna and salmon

Vegetables: Broccoli, zucchini, carrots, spinach, lettuce, silverbeet, bok choy, cucumber, capsicum, tomatoes, avocado

Fruit: Bananas, and whatever is in season

Nuts: Almonds and macadamias

Herbs and spices: Whatever. My favourites are dill, garlic, generic barbecue, celery, basil and tumeric.

Other: cheese, pure cream, greek yoghurt, wine (I have a couple of glasses week), dark chocolate, olive oil, coconut oil

Irregular add-ons depending on tastes and sales: ice cream, nachos

Occasional garbage I have maybe once every couple weeks: McDonald's, Hawaiian Pizza, Fish n Chips

The details, and background info is at:

http://nomeandnoyou.blogspot.com.au/...l-week-in.html

As you can tell, it's not very strict at all. There's a lot of cheating, and although I go with free range and grass-fed when I can, I haven't gotten to the point where it's a regular occurrence.

Reducing grains and carbs in general from my day to day menu is really the bulk adaptation I've made, and at this point the benefits are phenomenal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    Nice job with your blog, I think you've done good work in serving up the Primal philosophy and how to implement it. Keep it going!
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rig D View Post
    Nice job with your blog, I think you've done good work in serving up the Primal philosophy and how to implement it. Keep it going!
    Thanks very much!

Odd tangent, does anyone here use Google+?

I am a heavy user ad highly recommend it. There are some great communities, especially for fitness. In any case , I am making a point to spread Primal to this social network to build a presence.

https://plus.google.com/+JustinVirly

A new entry is up!

Primal Living Part 5 - A week in exercise.

http://nomeandnoyou.blogspot.com.au/...l-week-in.html

The holiday season are really making things a bit tough as far as nutrition goes. I'm a high school teacher in Australia, which means the school year is just about to end. This also means that there is a double dose of sweets and treats flying around -- Christmas and the end of school year!!!

In my pre-Primal days I would be killing myself with morning runs only to stuff my face with gingerbread and Lindt chocolates at work. These days, I indulge, feel heavy and sluggish, but don't beat myself up about it. I'm making the choice to enjoy the great gifts. I may put on a kilo or so in a couple weeks, but I won't be feeling ashamed and depressed about it. Full awareness, no guilt.

I'm looking forward to next week though, that's for sure. Work will be done, so I'll have 5.5 weeks (minus the inevitable 2 days of Christmas feasting) of exercise, sleeping without an alarm clock, and all the time in the world to prepare wonderful fresh food.

I've also just signed up for the Expert Certification. It's going to be greeeattt!

No me and no you: Full Awareness, No Guilt: Why I don't like "cheat meals"

I've expanded on one of my main adaptations I've made to my personal Primal lifestyle - it's focused on coping with bad food moments.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Started the Expert Certification Course

I'm on Module 3. This is surprisingly (pleasantly so) challenging.I failed the module 1 test the first time. PAssed the second on the first try. Go me.