Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Squat form advice? page

DannyP is offline Senior Member

Squat form advice?

So I know I posted a vid last week in another thread of a weight that was probably a bit too heavy, with too little rest since the previous workout, in suboptimal shoes. Today, I dropped some weight, wore better shoes and did so after three days of rest. However, I still think my heels are coming up a bit and my knees start to track in. Not quite sure what to do to modify technique better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc2n...ALfiMt4QOsIZzA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nTd...ALfiMt4QOsIZzA

FYI, these are sets four and five of five at 225lbs

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Looks good to me, I'd maybe try and decelerate slightly as you reach the bottom position, your knees might thank you in years to come !

JimmyDamage is offline Senior Member
    Nothing big to correct here. Only nitpicky things I can see would be to slow down and control the decent more as OS noted and to try and sit back a little more on the heels. This will keep your knees from tracking a little far over your toes. Do a few sets of wall squats for practice. Good work.

Thanks; my knees are one thing that never bothers me and I want to keep it that way, so will heed that advice!!!

What's not visible from the side, too, is that my knees seem to come in a bit as I come down (which I think causes the slight heel lift). Should I be widening my stance (and if so trying to go w/o the manta ray and doing a low bar)? Or is it more a flexibility issue?

I'm mostly self-taught with the help of mirrors and videos so could also be time to do one or two sessions with a coach (not one of the gym trainers; would want to find real lifting pro). Don't need to get outrageous numbers, just great fitness w/o injury.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDamage View Post
    Nothing big to correct here. Only nitpicky things I can see would be to slow down and control the decent more as OS noted and to try and sit back a little more on the heels. This will keep your knees from tracking a little far over your toes. Do a few sets of wall squats for practice. Good work.
    Thanks, and appreciate tips. Need to make some of these small adjustments for the sake of my knees in my latter years (when I'm no longer 30 with quick recovery)

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a belt? Looks like your lower back is doing a lot of work, a belt would help you get a more solid trunk.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

Don't have a belt, but noticed there is one over by the rack at my gym (along with wraps for those who want them for DL). I don't really feel the squats in my lower back during or after though. What makes you say that, out of curiosity? Is it the fact that I arch my back on the downward part (which I do somewhat on purpose), or is there some other indicator that I'm putting too much strain on it? Definitely something else I don't want to injure so appreciate advice on protection!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Knees out. Get a belt. Switch to low-bar, then look down and learn to stop the forward motion of the knees 1/3-1/2 of the way down the descent.
    The Champagne of Beards

What if I find my shoulders are still too tight to do the low bar without the manta ray? That's the only reason I have the bar so high in the first place. I've been trying to get my shoulders looser, but I'm still worried I'll have difficulty properly positioning the bar properly.

Also, is it possible that the forward knee motion is due to my hip flexors still being overly tight and something's gotta give?

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    To keep your knees from tracking in, make sure your feet are at about shoulder width and rotated out around 30 degrees (might be more or less depending on your body type). A cue that I like to use for that is, as I'm just starting to come back up, "Show off your crotch." Works every time.

And +1 on what Rich said.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
    What if I find my shoulders are still too tight to do the low bar without the manta ray? That's the only reason I have the bar so high in the first place. I've been trying to get my shoulders looser, but I'm still worried I'll have difficulty properly positioning the bar properly.
    That's a valid concern. My forearms are disproportionately long, and I had the same problem. Don't bother with the manta ray. Widen your grip, put your thumbs are on top of the bar, and make sure that they're just steadying the bar. Your back supports all of the load. Do some shoulder dislocations for a while and maybe get your arms and shoulders warm before squatting. It can be difficult initially, but it pays off.
    Last edited by Jefferson1775; 11-10-2014 at 07:55 PM.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast