Thread: what my five year old calls vegatable candy page

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member

what my five year old calls vegatable candy

Primal Fuel
    made this and liked it and so did my little girl. she really chowed on it and said it was veggie candy.
    preheat an oven to 350 with a baking stone or other heavy bakeware in the oven. (want something to soak up some heat)
    slice some ripe, firm tomatoes in slices about 3/8" thick, apply some cream cheese to the top of the tomato, sprinkle some cheddar cheese over the top of that. finely dice a bell pepper. sprinkle the bell pepper on the cheese topped tomotoes, place the tomatoes on the preheated baking dish (helps heat the bottom of the food). bake for about 2 minutes. then broil for about 2 minutes.
    the cooking melts the cheese and also drives a lot of moisture out of the pepper and the tomatoe which intenisifies and sweetens everything. allow to cool, and enjoy!
    Last edited by trapperjohnme; 07-09-2010 at 06:27 PM.

goingprimal is offline Senior Member
    Oh, to have my child eat a vegetable! I may have to try this - but anything remotely unidentifiable ends up pushed of the plate with a 'Blech' and a scowl. Any other helpful tips on getting primal foods in little bellies - let me know. Tonight's dinner for the little one was two bites of roast beef, a kiwi, and a frozen waffle (I caved).

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    goingprimal, the thing that worked best for me was to cut things into fairly small, regular pieces (squares are somehow less threatening than random slices?) and put on only one or two bites worth of a new food. "You WILL eat that one piece, or no dessert. That's the rule." And never cave. They don't have to like it, don't say anything about holding noses or making faces, but they have to eat it. No raised voices! If you don't eat it, you go hungry. Be reasonable of course - my kids don't like tomatoes (too acidic) and I don't serve brussels sprouts. But bland veggies like carrot, celery, potato, beans etc they can eat. My son doesn't like cooked veggies much so I only serve them occasionally. He will now happily eat salad (gradually introduced using aforementioned method) in a reasonable volume though still needs prompting. And I try to alternate a meal of all foods he likes so every meal isn't a battle.

I find plain chicken and mild-flavoured meat easiest. Cut into small pieces. I allow tomato sauce (ketchup) (ours is less sugary than the USA version)

Which makes it sound like I have it mastered but I don't, we still have regular battles and occasional tears. Don't leave it too late like I did - you need to apply tough love on this one. Chill a portion of food so you can re-heat it - a favorite trick is to wait till it's cold and unappetizing, and they know I won't make them eat something like that! Thank heavens for microwaves!

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    for some reason, my kids always liked veggies, they always ask for carrots and celery and "leaves" (lettuce, spinach, etc). Having a garden helps, they like to help me plant and what not, when the sugar snap pease start developing they like to pick and eat them. then as other things come on, they like to pick and eat them to.

CriQue312 is offline Junior Member
    I started eating primal only two weeks ago and have to admit I'm guilty of giving my 14 month old far too many Gerber snacks because she just wouldn't eat the veggies or meats I offered her. Crackers, toast and noodles were staples for my daughter. I felt so bad after I realized the error of what I was doing. Since I stopped making the processed & grainy type foods readily available, she's actually been experimenting a bit with vegetables and meats. I love it! I don't always see her eating as much of the vegetables as I would like, but a bite or 3 is better than none. She loves cheese and fruits so I always seem to win in a very natural way there.

I do want to try this recipe though, since she loves cheese so much, it might be fun to cut it up and let her toddler fingers have fun playing in it after it has cooled. *crossing my fingers* Hopefully some will find it's way down the shoot!
    CriQue ~ Groking it like it's hot since June 26, 2010
    May 26, 2010 241lbs, // Aug 12, 2011 178lbs // Goal 150ish

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow."
    - Melody Beattie

goingprimal is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, geekgrrl. I need to work on the 'not caving'. He is an only child, so I am guilty of this a lot. We need to keep the junk food out of the house. The only crap we have left is frozen waffles and peanut butter - but he loves both. I need to stand firm on the veggies. Will do it tonight with dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by goingprimal View Post
    Thanks, geekgrrl. I need to work on the 'not caving'. He is an only child, so I am guilty of this a lot. We need to keep the junk food out of the house. The only crap we have left is frozen waffles and peanut butter - but he loves both. I need to stand firm on the veggies. Will do it tonight with dinner!
    Good luck! The main thing is to keep calm and not let him 'push your buttons'. When I said 'no raised voices' I meant from me,

There's heaps of creative recipes on the forum and site, too. Try grating very long slivers of carrot (or fine slicing) and saute in butter - orange pasta!

Harry Guest
    To me, vegetable candy is leftover brussel sprouts, cold. Yum!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    To me, vegetable candy is leftover brussel sprouts, cold. Yum!
    those are some seriously warped taste buds.