Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PB friendly chocolate chocolate chip cookies page

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

PB friendly chocolate chocolate chip cookies

Primal Fuel
    After experimentation, this is my recipe. The amount of sweetener (I use honey) is up to you and fully adjustable, right down to none at all.

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
    1 c almond flour
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 c chocolate chips (I usually use a blend of Ghiradelli chocolate chips, pecans, and walnuts)
    2 tbsp honey (or your sweetener of choice, adjusted accordingly)
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 egg
    1/2- 1 tbsp cocoa powder ( I use Hershey's special dark)

Preheat oven to 350*F. Mix your dry ingredients, then add your wet stuff. Get it all nice and gooey and mixed together. I recommend using a spoon or your hands, because this stuff makes a whisk useless.
    Heavily grease (or use a silicon baking mat) a sheet pan. Taking approximately 1/8 of the mixture at a time, put it on the baking mat and smush it down, slightly (not much, just enough to where the top isn't domed). Bake for approximately 10 min if you like them chewy and soft, 12-15 (or more) if you like them crunchy.

Makes 8 cookies

Macros for 1 cookie at 2 tbsp honey per batch
    106 cal
    3 g protein
    8g carbs
    7 g fat
    Last edited by naiadknight; 07-09-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Recalculated chocolate chip amt in cookies
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Victoria is offline Senior Member
    Yum! These sound fabulous I will definitely have to give them a go. I have a party coming up at my house the end of this month and these will be perfect ... think my friend's diabetic son can handle these too ...
    "For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks." - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

My Facebook (please send a message to introduce yourself though!)

Mermaid is offline Member
    These look good! But I am curious about one thing. I have noticed in a lot of the PB cookie recipes around here there is no butter in the mix. I was wondering if there was a reason for this. I used to bake lots of cookies back in the day, and there was ALWAYS some source of fat, usually butter. That would certainly keep them from sticking. Have you tried it with butter?
    Mermaid

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    In this case, the nuts produce PLENTY of fat on their own. I tried it with butter (and lard, for that matter) and they refused to be anything but a greasy mess. The issue is that baking with flour and no fat creates a very dry end product, whereas both almond flour and coconut flour have fat already built in for a moist end product. You can experiment, but I prefer it this way. I think the majority of my stickiness came from using honey instead of sugar or Splenda.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Ok, I think I am going to experiment with adding some butter and using a combo of almond and coconut flour, along with the nuts and choc chips. I really do like the taste of butter in a cookie. Will let you know how it turns out! May even try it tomorrow.
    Mermaid

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    ooh, Mermaid, pls report back if you use the combo. I have just recently discovered both almond and coconut flour and am playing around, although I have never been a baker. Thus far, I haven't been thrilled with the texture. Naiad, these cookies look good, may be my weekend project.

I will certainly post my results. Before going primal, I actually had a reputation for making AMAZING choc chip cookies. But even if I weren't eating primal I probably would have to figure out an alternative because I have since confirmed that my body just cannot tolerate wheat. I used to bake quite a bit and it was kind of therapeutic for me, so maybe I will find solace in perfecting some good primal recipes. And my dear husband certainly won't object when he comes home to fresh baked cookies!
    Mermaid

PrimalNavyWife is offline Junior Member
    My little Grokling Girls (7 and 9 years old) made these for our family tonight. The cookies (and the girls) are WONDERFUL!! Thank you SO much for sharing!!
    Last edited by PrimalNavyWife; 08-07-2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: oops! My fingers went faster than my brain!

dakini is offline Senior Member
    I tried these just as the recipe said, without cocoa powder (don't have any). They are quite good. My daughter didn't want any, but I'm still transitioning her to primal snacks. Thanks for the recipe!

Primal K@ is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    These sound amazing! I'm going to give them a try this weekend! Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast