Thread: Does Wine (and other alcohols) have sugar? page

superseiyan is offline Member

Does Wine (and other alcohols) have sugar?

I don't care about calories, but I watch *added* sugar.

Do wines have sugar? I'm uncertain whether it matters whether they're sweet, dry, white or red. (i.e. moscato=white zifandal=chianti=merlot in sugar content?)

Ditto for beer and liquors.

Stevoreo is offline Senior Member
    not sure about the sugar in red wine, but i know 4 oz is apprx 4 grams of carbs

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post

Do wines have sugar? I'm uncertain whether it matters whether they're sweet, dry, white or red. (i.e. moscato=white zifandal=chianti=merlot in sugar content?)

real wine doesn't have added sugar though some are sweeter tasting than others. kiddush wine - which I don't consider real wine (ie manischewitz) - is as sweet as grapejuice, it sure is sweetened with something.

whiskey, vodka, rum etc have no added sugar but flavored varieties may or may not. if it tastes sweet (ie amaretto or bailey's) assume it's sweetened.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    Real wines have a small amount of residual sugars left over after the fermenting process. This number, however, is fairly small, especially in dry wines which are the least sweetest.

For beer, I would watch out for that. Beer itself is made from grains; specifically, the carbohydrates in those grains that are consumed by the yeast and turned into alcohol. Beer has much more trace carbs left over (alongside gluten) thereby leaving it with much more carbs than wine.

Now for liquor. These drinks in their pure form (whisky, gin, vodka, tequila) have absolutely no carbs. The distillation process removes all the carbs to leave the ethanol as the end product. All their calories come from alcohol.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    rum etc have no added sugar
    Rum is made from sugar cane, so stay away from rum if you want to avoid sugar.

EDIT: Mark has a post on liquors that is useful if you can find it.

Gumdrop is offline Member
    Hi, I am not too sure about sugar in the alcohol, however I do know that alcohol turns to sugar in the body.

xxxx

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    Rum is made from sugar cane, so stay away from rum if you want to avoid sugar.

EDIT: Mark has a post on liquors that is useful if you can find it.
    In an unusual turn for me, I was actually answering the question she asked.....does 'x' have added sugar?

But ITA with what you're saying.

Mark's post:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-alcohol/

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post

Wine does not have *added* sugar, but a fermentation process will always leave a very small amount of sugar. That said, it seems that it does not cause a glycemic spike worth mentioning.

I did a little digging and the metabolic process of alcohol is not identical to sugar but is similar. Its like it runs on a slightly different track in the liver but then hops on the same process once it reaches the mitochondria. I recall alcohol metabolism being talked about briefly in Sugar: The Bitter Truth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM) in a way that certainly doesn't make it seem like a desirable thing and paints it very similarly to sugar, or perhaps it was actually fructose he compares it to. (I suggest watching the whole thing anyway because of its own good merits unrelated to this post's topic.)

dfast is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lecz0r View Post
    I recall alcohol metabolism being talked about briefly in Sugar: The Bitter Truth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM) in a way that certainly doesn't make it seem like a desirable thing and paints it very similarly to sugar, or perhaps it was actually fructose he compares it to.
    I've not seen S: TBT yet but I imagine it would be fructose that they would compare alcohol to - both are hepatotoxins.