Thread: Help! Weight loss problems page

julelee is offline Junior Member

Help! Weight loss problems

Hi paleo community. I need some advice regaurding weight loss. My story starts in March 2012. I had been losing a little weight when my son went into the military. When he left for basic training, I was devistated. I basically stopped eating for months, my hair started falling out in handfuls and within 3 months, I had gotten down to 130 pounds. That was from my original 210. I was skinny, but very unhealthy. I kept that weight off for a year. I began gaining weight and slowly, over this last year gained back to 180 pounds. I am much healthier, but miserable at this weight. I started paleo in August 2014 and played around with it until October. That is when I got serious. I started eating completly paleo and was ready to see some results. Nothing. Not one pound. I have not been doing much working out. I have autoimmune problems- hypothyroidism, celiac disease and for sure, leaky gut. I read in Practical Paleo, by Diane Sanfilippo, that if you have these problems, not to do much more than taking walks until things are under control. Though I am eating paleo, I haven't givin up diet soda. I eat dark chocolate (86% cacao), and I love dried cranberries and almond butter. Otherwise, 100% paleo. I have a feeling I am getting too many carbs. I also take a powder gelitin/protien that I use in place of organ meat. I appologize for being so long-winded. I just need some expert advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I am 44 if that makes any difference.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I eat dark chocolate (86% cacao), and I love dried cranberries and almond butter.
    Calories can add up... especially these 3 items. Highly recommend a couple weeks of using something like myfitnesspal to track your calories and better understand how much you are or are not eating. It's a myth that you can eat however much if you just don't eat a lot of carbs.

Track it, measure it and know how much you are eating. Most women seem to eat 1600-2400 calories a day around here.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    ^^^this.

cut the snacks, entirely. and wean yourself off the diet soda. it wreaks utter havoc on your body and gut.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Pamela M is offline Senior Member
    It would be helpful first to know what you consider '100% paleo' to be. What are you eating on a regular basis? Paleo/primal/ancestral -- call it what you will, but there is no one paleo diet, as you've no doubt realized reading this forum.

Hi. Thank you all for getting back to me. I will cut out all snacks, as suggested and bite the bullet on quiting diet soda (my last vice). My average day consists of 2 fried eggs with small amount of shreaded cheese, salad with greens, tuna, a few seeds, small amt of shreaded cheese and few dried cranberries. Then for dinner I always have a protein, (chicken, deer meat, steak) and a small paleo approved side. Sometimes when I get hungry late evening I will have another salad. I usually eat a small square of 86% dark chocolate and sometimes a bananna (I have low potassium), or a small apple. As for exerccise, I sprint once a week, do heavy lifting twice a week and take walks at random. This is very recently. Before, I wasn't active other than to do housework.

Thank you for the advice. I had been writing down everything I eat, which helped me see just how fast everything adds up, but then I got busy and stopped. I started tracking everything again yesterday and will track daily until I'm used to estimate on my own. I am finding that I stay around 1400 calories and 50-100 carbs. I need to cut carbs to 50 or below. I have got to get this weight off. I am so disgusted with myself.

Thank you again for your reply.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Umm, no.... that is not what I would do. I'd cut fat, add in carbs around your workout. OR cut out the workouts and do the low carb thing. But very low carb + working out is hard to pull off.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by julelee View Post
    I have autoimmune problems- hypothyroidism, celiac disease and for sure, leaky gut.
    Quote Originally Posted by julelee
    I am finding that I stay around 1400 calories and 50-100 carbs. I need to cut carbs to 50 or below.
    Eating low-carb can promote hypothyroidism. You may benefit from including more carbs. I know it can be scary, given the low-carb dogma here.
    Last edited by Elliot; 11-10-2014 at 08:14 AM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Low carb dogma on a paleo based forum? OMG the horror!

Worse are the two or three posters who recommend increasing carbs for anything from hangnails to cancer.

OP, if there's a way to mimic what you did to get down to 130 within the paleo/primal framework, do that. For eg., if you used to use fake butter, don't use that, but don't replace it with big honkin' lumps of real butter - you only need enough to make the pan shiny. Or a small amount on some veggies. Try some salt on your food for palatability - you need some salt when you don't eat processed foods.

None of the macronutrients are an all or nothing thing. Some people thrive in ketosis, others hate it. Lower fat doesn't mean the low fat dogma of the 1970s. Just like the phrase, "don't be afraid of fat," doesn't mean that we all have to get more than 50% of our calories from fat.

I watched a new poster some months ago declare that whenever she didn't weigh herself daily, her weight would creep up. She was soundly told to stop worrying about her scale. Because strangers online are arrogant enough to know her better than she knows herself.

Magnolia is on the money about the dried fruit, chocolate, and nut butters. These are very calorically-dense while not being especially nutrient-dense. They're not bad foods, they're just not the best foods, especially for someone trying to lose weight. When you take the water out of fruit, you can easily eat way more of it than the whole fruit with the water. Nut butters have taken the chewing out of the nut experience; a tablespoon of the stuff has about the same calories as a tablespoon of pure fat. Chocolate is fine if you can truly eat a square or two at a sitting. But if you're the kind of person who is as likely not to eat the whole bar, make it a rare treat.

I'm not sure how gelatin relates to organ meat, but perhaps I misunderstood.

IOW, it's a blueprint or a framework, not a magic formula. Find what works for you. If lower carb curbs your appetite, that's great, but you don't necessarily have to go into ketosis for it to work. Or you might - only you will know as your try each thing. Some people feel full on lots of fat, others feel full on potatoes; me I'm a protein girl. If I keep my protein high enough, I almost never have that feeling of "have to eat NOW!" The only one true way is the one that works for you.

Good luck!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

qanyufeel is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    yes, It's a myth that you can eat however much if you just don't eat a lot of carbs.thanks