Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A (Granny Smith) Apple a Day page

Pamela M is offline Senior Member

A (Granny Smith) Apple a Day

I came across this article the other day, claiming that our gut bacteria (and the genetics therein) play a major role in our weight. Weight 'influenced by gut bacteria' - Medical News Today

What I found most intriguing is that said bacterias are predetermined genetically. This could explain the common body shapes found in families, and why some people are able to maintain weight with relative ease, while others have a lifelong struggle with it.

It also mentions that Granny Smith apples pass through the digestive track unscathed, and reach the colon where the bacteria in the colon can do their work "producing butyric acid that triggers the growth of good gut bacteria".

I've been an avid reader/listener of Tatertot and Richard Nikoley and thanks to their research have paid close attention to my microbiome, being sure to eat foods rich in pre/probiotics along with a daily dose of potato starch. I credit my healthy digestion and weight maintenance with these habits and this article seems to confirm my beliefs.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamela M View Post
    I came across this article the other day, claiming that our gut bacteria (and the genetics therein) play a major role in our weight. Weight 'influenced by gut bacteria' - Medical News Today

What I found most intriguing is that said bacterias are predetermined genetically. This could explain the common body shapes found in families, and why some people are able to maintain weight with relative ease, while others have a lifelong struggle with it.

It also mentions that Granny Smith apples pass through the digestive track unscathed, and reach the colon where the bacteria in the colon can do their work "producing butyric acid that triggers the growth of good gut bacteria".

I've been an avid reader/listener of Tatertot and Richard Nikoley and thanks to their research have paid close attention to my microbiome, being sure to eat foods rich in pre/probiotics along with a daily dose of potato starch. I credit my healthy digestion and weight maintenance with these habits and this article seems to confirm my beliefs.
    Hi Pamela,

It has been known for a while by the microbiome does seem to regulate a lot of things, including insulin sensitivity, some gene expression ("fat burning" genes for example), etc.
    I would just like to say that the daily dose of raw PS that you got used to is totally unnecessary. You are maybe aware of Dr Grace Liu's series of articles on the topic ? She is no big fan of this random supplementation and I tend to agree with her: so long as your food is rich in prebiotic carbs (especially inulin, FOS, GOS, NSPs, cooked / cooled / reheated RS from real foods) the extra raw PS may actually be counterproductive ...

Check her blog: drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Hi Pamela.

Interesting article! I couldn't help thinking, though, that "familial Body Shapes" could result from the fact that the majority of people in any one family will be eating the same foods almost all of the time and so have the same gut bacteria predominating...? And even when grown up, most will tend to cook and eat the same foods which they became used to / loved as members of the family - especially girls if they are the cooks in the family which they form themselves.

I too have started using potato starch as per TaterTot and Richard Nikoley and it has been a TREMENDOUS addition to my health regime. Digestive issues have improved massively and I am sleeping better and feeling much more energetic. I have also started eating as much inulin rich food as I can, and am now adding apples, pears etc for the pectin (as well as because they taste great and have loads of other good things!)

I have been a bit lax with making fermented veg for the last few months but am starting to ferment more too. Any recommendations?!

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    Hi Pamela,

It has been known for a while by the microbiome does seem to regulate a lot of things, including insulin sensitivity, some gene expression ("fat burning" genes for example), etc.
    I would just like to say that the daily dose of raw PS that you got used to is totally unnecessary. You are maybe aware of Dr Grace Liu's series of articles on the topic ? She is no big fan of this random supplementation and I tend to agree with her: so long as your food is rich in prebiotic carbs (especially inulin, FOS, GOS, NSPs, cooked / cooled / reheated RS from real foods) the extra raw PS may actually be counterproductive ...

Check her blog: drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com
    Good link, thanks FrenchFry! You're probably right; I eat enough food sources of RS that the PS isn't necessary. As far as it doing possible harm, I can see that, but then for the reasons mentioned on her blog. I don't take PS on its own, and I most certainly wouldn't recommend anyone taking it if they suffer from IBS. The gut has to be pretty healthy before you start feeding it RS2. I have done without my daily dose (which is around 2Tbsp) when on vacation, and noticed a difference in my digestion. Granted, my 'vacation diet' - which usually consists of whatever the locals eat - could account for that as well.

I'm all for experimenting, so I may stop the PS for a week and see what happens. The thing is, I feel so great, and everything is working as it should, that I'm hesitant to make any changes.

Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Hi Pamela.

Interesting article! I couldn't help thinking, though, that "familial Body Shapes" could result from the fact that the majority of people in any one family will be eating the same foods almost all of the time and so have the same gut bacteria predominating...? And even when grown up, most will tend to cook and eat the same foods which they became used to / loved as members of the family - especially girls if they are the cooks in the family which they form themselves.

I too have started using potato starch as per TaterTot and Richard Nikoley and it has been a TREMENDOUS addition to my health regime. Digestive issues have improved massively and I am sleeping better and feeling much more energetic. I have also started eating as much inulin rich food as I can, and am now adding apples, pears etc for the pectin (as well as because they taste great and have loads of other good things!)

I have been a bit lax with making fermented veg for the last few months but am starting to ferment more too. Any recommendations?!
    I've experienced the same benefits breadsauce. I think the importance of the gut and prebiotics is somewhat dismissed on MDA. Not sure if that's because a good source of RS comes from root vegetables and beans and some paleoists won't even visit those foodgroups, or if it's because it's such a complex issue. The more I read and learn about it, the more I'm convinced good health begins in the gut. The link that FrenchFry posted is a good one. I'd recommend reading her blog and the comments that follow.
    As for fermenting veggies, I eat mostly cold sauerkraut so I'm not the greatest source for recommendations. I do plan on getting into it though, especially making my own sauerkraut which seems to be a simple and painless process.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamela M View Post
    As for fermenting veggies, I eat mostly cold sauerkraut so I'm not the greatest source for recommendations. I do plan on getting into it though, especially making my own sauerkraut which seems to be a simple and painless process.
    When we talk about fermented foods, veggies are of course well known, but simple items like vinegar, pickles, aged cheeses, air-dried sausages, yoghurt / butter milk / kefir, should not be forgotten in that group Of course you hear that the probiotics in these foods are transient, they don't populate the gut, but they help a lot while they are in the gut.

In any case, real foods as varied as possible, not systematically sterilized and refrigerated, is usually what the diet should be about. Contact with healthy soils, etc, is another dimension to it. Hygiene habits (little to no soap / shampoo) also matter. Presence of pets as well.

When we talk about fermented foods, veggies are of course well known, but simple items like vinegar, pickles, aged cheeses, air-dried sausages, yoghurt / butter milk / kefir, should not be forgotten in that group Of course you hear that the probiotics in these foods are transient, they don't populate the gut, but they help a lot while they are in the gut.

In any case, real foods as varied as possible, not systematically sterilized and refrigerated, is usually what the diet should be about. Contact with healthy soils, etc, is another dimension to it. Hygiene habits (little to no soap / shampoo) also matter. Presence of pets as well.
    Yes, yes, and yes to all of the above. (but I'm still a slave to my shampoo )

gdot is offline Senior Member
    Pamela,

I'll be very interested to see what you notice when you stop the PS supplements.

I stopped after my first bag was finished. The only thing I noticed was that my stools returned to their previous composition within a few days (not as dense and tight).

While taking the potato starch I noticed that I could eat fresh corn and not see the remains of the seeds in my stools. I've not any fresh corn since then.

I'm about to start back on the PS. I have a bag sitting on the counter. It will be interesting to see what I notice.
    What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

gdot is offline Senior Member

You sound like a slob! srsly - I'm soooo down with this.
    What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by gdot View Post
    Pamela,

I'll be very interested to see what you notice when you stop the PS supplements.

I stopped after my first bag was finished. The only thing I noticed was that my stools returned to their previous composition within a few days (not as dense and tight).

While taking the potato starch I noticed that I could eat fresh corn and not see the remains of the seeds in my stools. I've not any fresh corn since then.

I'm about to start back on the PS. I have a bag sitting on the counter. It will be interesting to see what I notice.
    I most certainly will keep you updated. I've elected not to stop for the next few weeks though, as I'm travelling and my system will already be going through an upheaval because of time changes, dietary changes, & stress levels. Your post just goes to show how unique our little guts are--my stools have been picture perfect since taking ps. (not that you'd want to be taking pics or anything, but you know what I mean )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast