Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me get started, please! page

TheReloader is offline Junior Member

Help me get started, please!

Primal Fuel
    I've worked out my P/C/F ratio.

I lift weights 4 days a week. And I walk _a lot_

I'm 6'7, 260lbs, and 25% body fat. My goal is to cut fat down.

I've worked myself out to about:

Carbs: 180
    Fat: 107
    Protein: 180
    For a total of 2400 calories.

I know that 2400 calories puts me at around 1lb/week weight loss.
    And less than 120 carbs or so kills my energy lifting. I've done the ketosis and low carb thing before, not into it while I'm this active.

Next issue:

I need to do this as cheap as possible. I realize cheese and rice aren't super, but I expect I'll be eating a lot of cheese, rice, and chicken breast.

Any specific suggestions in my scenario? Thanks.

I can't stand tuna. But I do tolerate canned salmon. I'd like to eat for under $10/day if possible. Or less.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Welcome! Those macros should be fine. One concern is that chicken breast and rice are low in micronutrients, which are taxed during training. Potatoes & plantains are good for muscle recovery and inexpensive.

Canned seafood is very handy--try the others too. I put mackerel on salads and make quick chowders with clam + potato + coconut milk. Beef can be economical too--check sales flyers for big roasts then pull/shred into sandwich bag portions.

I wouldn't use cheese as a core food (the good stuff is expensive ya?). If it's just for calories I'd do buttered vegetables (cabbage, onion, carrot)
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

snutts is offline Junior Member
    I'm sure I won't be the first...

it's not really adhering to the "idea" of a primal life is it? I know you said you've done the low carb thing before but the whole idea is to reduce carbs and up good fats and proteins. I'd aim for maximum 100g of carbs whilst dieting. as for the lack of energy I'm sorry to say it's just crap. I'm a competitive powerlifter and also keep physically active (that's right not just a fat bloke in chuck Taylor's) - you don't need excessive amounts of carbs. especially from rice?!?

if you struggle because of lack of carbs then you need to up fats and protein. overall calories.

cheap stuff?

multi buy chicken breasts - or buy the whole thing! learn to butcher.
    seasonal veg offers (and fruits)
    look in baking section for cheap nuts.
    olive oil, fish oil, canned tuna.

I just don't believe that carbs play such a role when all aspects are looked at.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheReloader View Post
    I've worked out my P/C/F ratio.

I lift weights 4 days a week. And I walk _a lot_

I'm 6'7, 260lbs, and 25% body fat. My goal is to cut fat down.

I've worked myself out to about:

Carbs: 180
    Fat: 107
    Protein: 180
    For a total of 2400 calories.

I know that 2400 calories puts me at around 1lb/week weight loss.
    And less than 120 carbs or so kills my energy lifting. I've done the ketosis and low carb thing before, not into it while I'm this active.

Next issue:

I need to do this as cheap as possible. I realize cheese and rice aren't super, but I expect I'll be eating a lot of cheese, rice, and chicken breast.

Any specific suggestions in my scenario? Thanks.

I can't stand tuna. But I do tolerate canned salmon. I'd like to eat for under $10/day if possible. Or less.
    So basically you have decided to follow some kind of bodybuilder cutting diet (with cheese) and think that somehow it is the same as the Primal Blueprint? The Primal Blueprint involves choosing foods with maximum nutritional value and avoiding foods that are harmful. It's low carb for people with metabolic syndrome but not for people like you. Diet is only one tiny piece of the Primal Blueprint. There is also the sunshine, the walking, the lift heavy things (you have these two), the sprinting, the connections with real human beings, and the play.

You're just on a regular diet.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheReloader View Post

Next issue:

I need to do this as cheap as possible. I realize cheese and rice aren't super, but I expect I'll be eating a lot of cheese, rice, and chicken breast..
    This part makes me cry.

Eat the whole damn chicken .....skin, joints n all. Cheaper, tastes better, and better for you than just the breast. Buy roasts with the bone n joints still in and use a slow cooker. Great food, low cost. I really don't watch macros or calories. That stuff just ends up where it should be if you eat nose to tail and stick to being a meat centric omnivore. Read up here though:

How to Succeed with the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Milk and potatoes are both cheap.

I also doubt you'll lose 1 lb consistently each week just by eating 2400 calories.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    how is that primal?

eating a certain number of cals will NEVER guarantee a regular weight loss of x-number-of-pounds per week. sorry. it simply is not that cut and dry.

further, chicken breast, rice and supermarket cheese are ALL nutrient poor. buy sacks of potatoes and bunches of bananas if you want cheap carbs. carrots and cabbage are super cheap this time of year too. do you not eat eggs? look for hunks of meat that need slow-cooking and make a big batch of braised meat. it's cheaper and a time-saver. shop in ethnic markets and look for oogly bits that you can stew for cheap money too.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

snutts is offline Junior Member
    I know that the last posts have been a bit harsh but it was asking for it based you're in a primal way of life forum and as shbikes said "it's a regular diet".

just focus in what the PB is about and of you don't want to follow that then look at other forums that can offer that advice. I totalled 532.5 kg today - 192.5kg squat. 110kg bench as 230kg deadlift - all fasted and without caffeine or stimulants. it can be done I promise!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    without this spiralling into a low-carb or high-carb debate, op's proposed menu is in no way primal. most of us are on budgets. i certainly am and it would never occur to me to make those foods staples of any sort.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you're on a budget, unless the cheese you're talking about is cottage cheese, chances are it's as nasty as any other artificial/processed food in a regular grocery store. That said, Primal has been referred to as Paleo with a side of dairy, so it's not a forbidden food. Sorry to say, but good cheeses are generally as expensive per pound as meat. Those big orange blocks are more like cheez food product.

Though the meat (and sometimes the heart and liver if they're included in the body cavity) of a whole chicken is totally more delicious and nutritious than just a boneless, skinless breast, to find out whether a whole chicken will save you money, do the following:

• buy a whole chicken
    • note its total weight and the total price of the chicken
    • roast up the chicken
    • before you throw away anything you don't eat (bones, fat at the bottom of the roasting pan, etc.,), weigh it
    • deduct the weight of the stuff you'll throw away from the original weight of the chicken - call this net weight
    • divide the total price of the chicken by the net weight - this is your "real" price per pound of edible product
    • compare that to boneless, skinless breasts to see which is the better deal

I once did that for a whole turkey, and though the price of turkey at the time was so cheap that it didn't dissuade me from buying whole turkeys, I found that the weight of the stuff I threw away was almost 35% of the total product. Chickens may not be as wasteful.

White rice is okay, but just okay. It certainly isn't nutrient dense.

IOW, if you're presenting chicken breasts, grocery store cheese, and rice as the bulk of your diet, though these foods can certainly be part of Primal eating, they're not the best nutrition of primal or paleo foods. Want low fat? Try beef or chicken liver. Eat some eggs. If I were looking for protein in a food, I'd look at pork loin. It's lean, chock full of protein, and very often on sale. Use a potato or a sweet potato in place of your rice occasionally. Since you like canned salmon, eat that once a week.

I think people are being hard on you because what you're proposing with your lack of diversity is subsistence rather than eating to thrive.

Also, go to the blog and search "definitive guide" and "shopping list." Those should give you some starting points.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast