Thread: I went on the coolest " field trip" today.... page

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member

I went on the coolest " field trip" today....

Shop Now
    My Hubby and I took a drive about 25 miles west of our Home to a Grassfed beef family farm to visit their farm store and raid their freezers.... OMG. What an amazing place. Their home is on the property along with 65 acres of Certified Organic pastures where the cows graze openly among the sunshine and eat. 2 of 3 of their pastures are now Certified Organic with the 3rd set to be this fall. I left a Hundred Bucks with my local economy, got a great tour and enjoyed chatting with the farmers. If you ever really wanted to know how it's done RIGHT, visit a Grassfed Beef Farm one day..... My Haul for my money was:

2 pks Beef Liver
    2 rib eyes
    4 cube steaks
    2 packages burger patties
    a package of beef sausage
    2 packages of stew beef
    5 packages of Ground Beef.

It was my version of a near perfect day. Every Kid in America should get to visit such a place, and know that the golden arches is not where your hamburger comes from.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    *jealous*

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    Putting this on the list of things to do with the kids before school starts.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Mermaid is offline Member
    We currently live about an hour from Joel Salatin's Polyface farms. We can get their eggs and some other produce in the health food store here, and someday very soon we are going to go there on a field trip. This makes me want to go there tomorrow! Yummm!
    Mermaid

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    that sounds so awesome! Living in texas, i am surrounded by beef raisers.....Ive looked online and found some in small towns not 30 minutes away. I really need to get out there!

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Probably the most fun I have had in the last couple months was hanging out with the chickens on the farm I get my eggs from. Seriously, I felt bad for the owner of the property and finally left, but I could have propped myself up with a good book on the hill and hung with the chickens all day! Gratz on your freezer candy!

soror is offline Senior Member
    We love to visit our farm as well. One of my best friends owns the place so I can visit it whenever I like. The kids came with me last time I went to help butcher chickens. They understand the process that "meat" comes from animals. I know a lot of veg*ns claim that once you explain to kids that meat comes from real animals they won't want to eat it- certainly isn't the case w/ my kids- I don't sensationalize it though.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I love visiting my farms and butchers. It's one of my favorite things to do.