Thread: Raw food Smoothies? page

LadyIsis is offline Member

Red face Raw food Smoothies?

Primal Fuel
    So, I have been living primally for four months now and due to injuries from overtraining and a very recent car accident, I have been jamming my body full of narcotics and acetaminophen. I have also recently lost my love of meat and eggs, even bacon! I think it's time for a gut cleanse /detox and health boost to pair with my physical therapy. Also during this time, I'll be meditating on meat and see it like I used to, and a source of life, and not this disgusting blob of dead animal. Honestly I do not know what brought that on, because I was very carnivorous before my car accident and ate tons of eggs and savored raw hot yolk. But anyway, I'm planning on going 10 days with smoothies I make from raw fruits and vegetables with flavorless whey protein, Chia seeds, and take coconut oil 4-7 times a day along with my vitamins, suppliments, and my geletin. I will also be drinking my Kombucha as well. I was having digestive issues from the narcotics, that I was put on a laxative, but I want my body to start doing it naturally again, so I think this will help. It's far better than juicing, because you're still getting the fiber and I can make it what I need because I am making it at home. No added sugars and I can monitor carbohydrate intake. What are y'all's thoughts on this? I would appreciate helpful advice. My doctor said it wouldn't hurt as long as I monitor macronutrients and make sure I keep my vitamins and minerals at optimal levels. Any personal experiences or side affects to look for? Thank you guys, I'm ready to get back on track!

gdot is online now Senior Member
    I'm good with adding a whole food smoothie to a daily routine if that suits you.

But I doubt that you would do yourself any favors by going all extreme about it. As a matter of fact - if you are talking most of your daily calories from the smoothies, I'd worry about how that much raw vegetable matter will be tolerated while your digestion is outta whack.

I'd start with one per day for at least a few days before I went all in. As a matter of fact, I'd probably not commit to going all in at all. I'd probably try something more moderate like: 'I think I'll do some smoothies while meat and eggs sound disgusting to me'. You will probably start to crave real food again pretty quickly - don't lock yourself into a rigid plan right away.

As you are also eating coconut oil you might consider sautéing veggies or even fruit as a another way to get some easy to digest vegetable matter in you.

Just my two cents - you won't do yourself any harm other than uncomfortable digestion if you do as planned above.

Feel better and get off those meds as soon as you can tolerate doing so.
    What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Quote Originally Posted by gdot View Post
    I'm good with adding a whole food smoothie to a daily routine if that suits you.

But I doubt that you would do yourself any favors by going all extreme about it. As a matter of fact - if you are talking most of your daily calories from the smoothies, I'd worry about how that much raw vegetable matter will be tolerated while your digestion is outta whack.

I'd start with one per day for at least a few days before I went all in. As a matter of fact, I'd probably not commit to going all in at all. I'd probably try something more moderate like: 'I think I'll do some smoothies while meat and eggs sound disgusting to me'. You will probably start to crave real food again pretty quickly - don't lock yourself into a rigid plan right away.

As you are also eating coconut oil you might consider sautéing veggies or even fruit as a another way to get some easy to digest vegetable matter in you.

Just my two cents - you won't do yourself any harm other than uncomfortable digestion if you do as planned above.

Feel better and get off those meds as soon as you can tolerate doing so.

Thank you! Yea I think you have a point. I might go in easy lol. I think that the raw kale will be the big digestive upset instigator of all of them. It's actually the only vegetable I am using that I don't actually eat raw. I'm just a gung ho kind of person and get wound up easy. I might do a couple of smoothies with sauteed fruit or veggies and mix with IF's. For a few days. Oh! Sauteed mango and kale with garlic! Sounds fantastic!

miata is offline Senior Member
    For me the best way to detox is to simply eat 100% paleo.

bazzz is online now Member
    The whole "detox" idea is just a marketing gimmick. I'm not quite sure what you think you're going to achieve here.

mantra is offline Member
    I agree that "detox" is a gimmick, but I don't see the harm in experimenting with diet. I'm not sure why smoothies and not, like, a big salad and a plate of cut fruit. Juicing actually isn't a bad option if you're trying to maximize nutrition without taxing your digestive system with tons of fibre. If you aren't used to eating lot of fibre, a high-fibre diet (particularly if you're generous with the chia seeds) may be slightly uncomfortable for a few days!

It looks to me like you're trying to do a lot at once...lots of supplements, lots of extras, lots of carbs, lot of protein, lots of fat. Personally, I would start simple and make adjustments as needed. If you intend to focus on fruits and veggies, then eat lots of fruits and veggies without restrictions like a carb limit and consider extras like coconut oil and protein powder when you feel like you need it.

For what it's worth, I burned out on strict paleo and now eat mostly raw with the occasional meat/eggs/fat day. (I have...digestive issues...if I eat lots of fruit/veggies + lots of fat together.) I really believe that it's important to pay attention to what your body wants. Is there a reason you feel like you have to get back into eating lots of meat and eggs? Would your relationship with food/your body change if your old carnivorous way of eating no longer felt comfortable?

I thank all of you for your feedback! I've decided to mainly consume raw food and then meat once a day (with sauteed greens). I only consume two smoothies a day, and they're only a fraction of the fruit and veggies in it because I add loads of ice. I feel better already, very refreshed and happy. And by the end of the day, I crave that meat! This is going to be fantastic paired with my physical therapy. Thank you all again, I took to heart what you suggested!

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    consider bone broth, pre-biotic foods and r/s to help heal your gut. mixing eggs, fish or bits of meat, with some seaweed, into the bone broth makes a real superfood.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway