Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No bacon or seafood - suggestions? page

scubasam is offline Senior Member

No bacon or seafood - suggestions?

Shop Now
    I don't eat pork and I don't eat seafood, and I am getting tired of chicken and beef. What other protein can I add to my diet to ward off boredom?

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Wild game? Buffalo? Emu? Ostrich? Frog? Goat? Lamb?
    Is the pork and seafood for religious reasons or do you not care for the taste?
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Squirrel inside an eagle inside a walrus. The circle of life

^+1 and I add elk.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    How about venison or wild boar --- very tasty and nutritious.

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    @naiadknight, yes, we recently gave up eating those things for traditional reasons, more than religious reasons. Our kids are getting older and so we are trying to teach them about Jewish customs, which do not allow for the above-mentioned foods (even though I LOVE them) and felt we needed to set an example for them to follow.

We do eat bison burgers, but I have no idea where to get game meat from (maybe I will start hunting next year, but not quite there yet). Lamb is a good idea. It is so hard to find grass fed meat in our area. I looked into doing a cow share, but there are none in my area at all. Gotta keep looking. This primal way of eating is really starting to work for me (I feel so much better) but I need variety. I get bored so easily.

Thanks for the suggestions. I need to order some biltong as well (South African jerky - once you've tasted it, you will never eat jerky again). That will help for snacks.

@megaladon, wild boar is pig, so I cannot eat it.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Plenty of seafood is kosher and seems traditional enough. My Orthodox Jewish neighbors in LA many years ago were big on lox and bagels.

strom is offline Senior Member
    bagels are a no go. Why can't you eat fish? If a fish has scales its kosher by koshrut laws. tilipia, sardines, grouper, salmon, muai muai, red snapper, flounder, sole, haddock, herring, whitefish are some of the kosher fish you can eat. Have you tried cooking brisket yet? Its kind of tricky too cook, since it requires a long cooking time, but it can be really good. Joan Nathan has a good cookbook.

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Brisket's hard to cook? *scratches head* I sear mine, pressure cook it it onion, jalapeno, stock, and salsa for 30 min and call it good.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    This company makes fabulous bison sausage, if you want some nice variety: http://pedersonswenzel.com/products/...moked-sausage/ I buy it at Whole Foods.

What about duck, turkey, pheasant, and non-shellfish fish (mahi, halibut, salmon, tilapia, amberjack, anchovies (esp fresh!) sardines, occasional tuna, etc...) Gosh- just the fish choices alone- there are so many! Venison is fabulous and I've heard that elk is good. You can find them all online (and possibly even locally, if you do a little sleuthing!)

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    sorry Scubascam,did not realise.Sure there is plenty of good,tasty protein you will happen across.Happy eating.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast