Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Eggs and potato diet? page

premier89 is offline Member

Eggs and potato diet?

hey guys, I just wanted your opinion on an only eggs and potatoes diet. This is mostly a thought I came up with so that I can save money for the holidays coming up, but I was wondering about weight loss and the long term health effects.

My current diet is eggs, one potato, spinach, and grass fed ground beef. If i ate 2 potatoes and the rest of my calories coming from eggs (staying with my calorie range), based off your experience with starchy carbs, do you think I can still maintain a lean body, maybe even get leaner? Also, not have any ill health effects.

I admit, I am still paranoid about carbs.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Eh. Low food reward. High nutrition. Low price. Don't do it forever. Not a bad idea to play with for a little while, in my opinion. If you can have some occasional liver, even better.
    The Champagne of Beards

so health wise i'll be ok? I only plan on doing it for about a month, maybe longer if it's safe. What is your opinion on weight loss with starchy carbs? I know everyone is different, but I've been maintaining eating 1 potato a day, but I'm cautious about adding 1 more a day.

2Rae is offline Junior Member
    Not sure about the long term, even a month, health issues, but if it were me I'd try to make the potato and egg into a potato salad so that you are getting resistant starch too. I like keeping a bowl of it in the fridge to keep the gut flora fed and happy. It's not going to give you the insulin spikes that a hot potato will. You can even bake potatoes and then reheat a bit and still keep the resistant starch.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Rae View Post
    You can even bake potatoes and then reheat a bit and still keep the resistant starch.
    Do reheat, you will get more RS3 (type 3 resistant starch). The eggs will secure higher proteins and good fats and their vitamins, provided that they are pastured (not given though ...).

if I were you, I'd consider adding legumes like chickpeas and lentils. They are cheap and easy to process (soak 12 to 24h, rinse, boil for 15mn, simmer for 1h more or less). You can also add onions and garlic to make the flora really happy. If you have access to them, replace taters by sunchokes, add other tubers if you like. These things should be much cheaper than grass-fed beef.

And to make it even better, add gelatinous bone broth (bones should be really cheap, it just takes a little time in the kitchen).

Sticking to spuds and eggs should be fine for a few weeks but boredom my set in ...

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by premier89 View Post
    so health wise i'll be ok? I only plan on doing it for about a month, maybe longer if it's safe. What is your opinion on weight loss with starchy carbs? I know everyone is different, but I've been maintaining eating 1 potato a day, but I'm cautious about adding 1 more a day.
    Yeah, I doubt you'll get rickets or scurvy within the month.
    The Champagne of Beards

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    In some old experiments, people ate diets composed almost entirely of potatoes. They were found to be in good health. I don't see a problem with a potato-heavy diet.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by premier89 View Post
    If i ate 2 potatoes and the rest of my calories coming from eggs
    Both great foods but ^this sounds a little strange. That would be about 2 dozen eggs per day? I'd start to wonder about allergen or mineral overloads. Maybe cut it with some butter cabbage is for frugal calories.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

I would only be eating 8 eggs a day. I mashed up potatoes and mixed sunny side up or scrammbled eggs into it. That recipe is pretty filling. One meal would be one potato with 4 eggs. In between i eat almonds. I add BBQ sauce too for flavor
    Last edited by premier89; 10-29-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm just wondering if this can be long term for health and fat loss.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast