Thread: Found Primal in Nov 2012, 2 Years Later Confident to Post A Success Story page

PGC
    PGC is offline Member

Found Primal in Nov 2012, 2 Years Later Confident to Post A Success Story

Found Primal in Nov 2012, 2 Years Later Confident to Post A Success Story.

I fell of the wagon a few times

Will comeback and complete this post when I have more free time, but wanted to post this place holder so that I will force myself to finish writing it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't know if I am going to blab on to much....

Just outlining the flow, still to complete
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

My name is Peter,

I am from Australia and have an Italian heritage. I was fairly active, I had 2 male cousins around my age living next door and we would ride bikes, play tips, tackle Australian Rugby League, soccer and have running races (which I always came last in, I was just never a fast runner).

I loved swimming when the weather was right and like other children I knew, I wanted to play Australian Rugby League or soccer. Unfortunately my father had to work 6 days a week and we were for most of my childhood a 1 car family. This meant my parents couldn't sign me up to any local junior sports activities.

At school I was never fast at running which in primary school seemed to be the indicator accepted by the other children as how popular you would be. Somehow because I felt I wasn't fast enough I gradually gravitated away from lunch time physical play and started just sitting, drawing or reading books in the library.

I enjoyed watching action hero movies by Arnold, Stallone (Rocky), Van Dam and Bruce Lee. They shaped my idea of ideal fitness was. I didn't look at football players or Olympic athletes because they didn't have the muscles of body builders and rock and roll wrestlers. I wanted big muscles too, but I had no access to dumbbells and I was told by adults that I had to wait till I was 18 or my growth would stunt.

Then came Nintendo, once I had a taste for gaming I became less active.

I have not spoken about food yet but now I will. My mother is an excellent Italian cook. Every night was a large plate of pasta, a dish of meat and a salad. I would say it was fairly healthy, except for the quantity it was probably too much. My father grew up with not much food on the table when he was young, so when he came to Australia food was more plentiful. I remember my dad saying that he wanted us to have any food we wanted including sweets and chocolate because he barely saw any growing up. So our pantry was stocked with processed snack foods. When we went shopping with our mother we could just about fill the trolley with any packet of biscuits, chips, chocolate, sugary cereals and ice-cream we wanted.

Around 5th class I was a bit chubby, and with the schools local milk bar having a Street Fighter 2 arcade machine the other children somehow got around to calling me after one of the character "EHonda" the sumo wrestler character. I really didn't like being called a sumo wrestler and fat and I probably didn’t handle things well. This meant I was bullied daily for nearly 2 years. The thing is even other children
    more fatter where teasing me and I guess that was just their way of avoiding being bullied themselves. Things quickly escalated to daily school yard fights, luckily I was pretty good at physically defending myself thanks to Karate (inspired to start by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the doctor telling my parents I needed more physical activity) and watching lots of Van Dam. I only got a bleeding nose maybe twice and broken spectacles a few times, luckily no black eyes.

I used to come home and cry, I was very upset. The constant bullying help to further instil that I wanted to be muscular like Arnold, Stallone etc. I started going for jogs after school, but with amount of food I consumed it didn't achieve anything obviously beneficial to me.

Thankfully the severity of the bullying stopped when I hit high school, I went through some growth spurts so with the added height I didn’t look chubby anymore, and I matured somewhat and could defuse situations without them escalating much further.

I recall sometime in high school, where I became really health conscious. I don’t remember exactly where I got my information from (most likely a combination of health education, TV and women magazines from waiting rooms) but I do remember that I stopped drinking all soft drink, stopped asking my parents for fast food and avoided snacking on processed foods from the pantry. I remember it was really hard, I would open the door to the pantry and start at roll ups and candy. But then I just started telling myself that it was a cupboard full of poison and somehow the mantra worked. I did lose some fat however I was still eating really large dinners and grains (Pasta), because grains are taught as being healthy. This period in my life where I called things poison correlates to how I found the Primal Blueprint and Paleo which I will tell you about further on.

I tried to get into body building as a teenager but no gyms would accept me till I reached 18 years old. When I did reach 18 years old, I was (and still am) shorter than my father. I heard a myth that weight training would stunt your growth and so I held of little knowing I wasn’t going to grow any taller anyway. It wasn’t till a Christmas party that one of my younger cousins beat 1st one of my uncles and then myself in an arm wrestle that I realised I better start my weight training. I picked up my first dumbbell set just like my cousin had a starting training at home with excercises I found in Muscle and Fitness magazines. I remember it was mainly bicep curls, side lateral raises, 2 variants of tricep extensions, 1 arm rows, shoulder and floor presses. Later on I bought a cheap incline/decline sit up station that I used also for dumbbell bench presses. I pretty much neglected my legs. I like the changes that happen so easily for beginners. My short tricep head started to pop out, my top two abs pushed through the fat, my shoulders got bigger (really only the front and middle heads of the deltoid) and my biceps got some bigger too, I felt good with myself but despite further working out no more changes really happened after the initial changes.

It wasn’t till my 3rd year of University that some of the guys in my Engineering class came back from semester break looking significantly more muscled that I joined a gym.

Max OT

no sugar...

Primal...

Perceptions changing...

Power Lifting...

try to go back to primal...
    Whole 30...

CrossFit....

back to close to primal...

On the 15th of November I had a Dexa scan out of curiosity and the results show me that I am at 12% Body Fat. 68.26kg of lean mass and 9.78kg of fat.

wifes paleo recipe site http://gustopaleo.com
    Last edited by PGC; 12-13-2014 at 04:38 PM.

Badgerfaced is offline Senior Member
    Looking forward to reading

PGC
    PGC is offline Member
    A limit to the amount of images in a post. I was hoping to show images of various stages in my journey.
    This one is from Max OT. I lost a lot of size both in muscle and fat. But still had a lot of fat around the hips and lower back.

PGC
    PGC is offline Member
    I had a Dexa scan this morning out of curiosity and the results show me that I am at 12% Body Fat. 68.26kg of lean mass and 9.78kg of fat. Pretty happy with the results as it felt easy with Primal to get there. Hoping to continue down to 10% of body fat next year.

Katooshie is offline Senior Member
    It only took you six months to go from 27% to 17.3% body fat?
    I need to see what you are eating!

PGC
    PGC is offline Member
    I followed Primal eating but was cheating too much with cheat meals on weekends. Eventually the fat loss stalled at about 21% body fat. I had to be more strict Primal/Paleo and that is when a friend suggest I try the Whole30. The Whole30 is when I lost the most fat in the shortest amount of time.

The main differences in that month where:
    no more cheat meals/snacks, no treats, not even paleo treats
    only eating 3 meals day with a fourth meal only after a training session
    no dairy, no full cream, no cheese
    no bacon, hard and expensive to find pastured, nitrate and sugar free

On average I ate:
    Breakfast: 3 whole eggs (about a handful) scrambled with sautéed spinach or kale.
    Lunch: Left over dinner, an avocado, spinach or kale and an orange or apple
    If no left over dinner I would have 2 cans of tuna in olive oil with spinach or kale, an avocado and an orange or apple
    Dinner: slow cooked meal or baked chicken/salmon or a steak or fish with veggies.
    Post workout: 2 eggs and sweet potato

My wife has started a recipe website where she posts lots of what we are eating now (link is in my signature) we have started eating some paleo treats too now. We are not on the Whole30 at the moment.

I am currently at 12% body fat

avinash is offline Junior Member
    PGC,
    Thats an amazing transformation. Keep going!

Regards,
    Avinash T

PGC
    PGC is offline Member
    Thanks Avinash,

I can keep going an maintain no problem now. But losing any further bodyfat, I'm not so sure. I would like to lose a bit more fat off my hips/waist region but at 12% Bodyfat now my body seems stable/lock in at that. I don't want to start counting calories but if I did I'd aim for 200 calories less then what I am eating now or do a little extra exercise.

HeavensGreens is offline Junior Member
    Wow! I love seeing transformation stories like this. Keep it up!

PGC
    PGC is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Have not updated in a while, Christmas period is so hectic at times
    Added period in high school where I avoided soft drinks and other junk.