Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soft Star Shoes - Run Amoks - my review page

waxleaves is offline Member

Soft Star Shoes - Run Amoks - my review

These things are awesome.

I wanted to try barefoot shoes, but I'm not down with the Vibrams--don't like the way they look, and looks matter to me. So. I got a pair of the Run Amoks.

They are CUTE. I like them, and I've gotten quite a few compliments. Good-looking for my office job. They feel great. I got the 2mm soles. It's hot and humid in Seattle these days, but they keep quite dry inside. It's a Vibram sole, and I definitely feel like I'm barefoot. After a long walk around campus in these, my feet were tired, felt worked-out for sure.

They're quick and easy to put on, and very roomy around the toes. They collapse flat, so I could easily stash them in my backpack/purse if I wanted.

Only drawback is that tiny pebbles can get in through the perforations. Not many.

Wore my super-supportive Saucony running shoes with insoles to Crossfit yesterday and felt reeeeally weird after running around in the Run Amoks.

I think that's about it. I totally recommend these. They're lovely. Am bringing them camping this weekend, so will have more to say after that.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Thank you. I'm thinking of getting a pair, and it's good to get your reaction.

Plus Soft Star is local, so I can go visit them.

jeffy87 is offline Senior Member
    I have a pair of VFF KSOs that I run in, but I'm looking for a more "normal" looking minimalist shoe. I've been wanting to try these for awhile, and it's good to know people are having good experiences with them! Did you order them off the website? If so, is there sizing pretty accurate? Do they fit more loosely or snug? Do they seem sturdy enough to do Crossfit in? Lastly, since your from Seattle too, which CrossFit gym do you go to? =)

Awesome, I'm glad this info is helpful! Keep the questions coming if you have them.

I did order them off the website. They fit really loosely--basically, the thin leather upper is very roomy, and it ties around the ankle so that the shoes stay on. Very comfortable! The first day, my feet didn't seem to know where in the shoe they wanted to be, but that problem seems to have been sorted out.

They do seem very sturdy, and I'd feel comfortable doing Crossfit in them (but I'm not going to, because I still have arch problems and need to wear the super-supportive sneakers for Crossfit until my legs/feet get strong enough to keep my bad knees stable). The company markets them as running shoes. The soles are Vibram and have good grip.

I go to Level 4 in Ballard/Fremont! I've been going for about 7 months now. You?

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Waxleaves, my bad knees are the reason I'm wanting to get a pair, in hopes that more freedom of movement and better mobility and strength in all the little bones and muscles of my feet will keep my knees from feeling as much strain. My left knee in particular is getting locked by tight inner quads, my physio lady says.

If you could come back after awhile and say how your arches are doing after longer using the Soft Stars, I'd appreciate it.

That's exactly why I got a pair. Crossfit has REALLY helped my flat feet/IT band. I can actually walk normally now, instead of knock-kneed. So the shoes are the next step. So far, I feel like I'm getting a workout, so I hope I'll be able to check in with good news in a while.

jeffy87 is offline Senior Member
    waxleaves,
    I just started a pre-Crossfit "On-ramp" class at Foundation Crossfit on Capitol Hill. It's totally kicking my ass...and I LOVE it! \m/

Nice! I've seen signs/flyers for Foundation. One great thing about Crossfit is that it will never stop kicking your ass, ever.

Victoria is offline Senior Member
    I might have to invest in a pair. I go barefoot at home most of the time, and wish I could go everywhere barefoot! I perform barefoot (unless the ground is too gravelly or hot .... blisters on the soles of your feet are not fun!). The rest of the time I wear slip on sandals or sneakers (when I go for a walk outside).

I've been considering the Vibrams but these might fit my lifestyle better.
    "For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks." - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

My Facebook (please send a message to introduce yourself though!)

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the review! I've been looking at these for a while. I love my VFFs but kinda want a less "OMG What kind of shoes are you wearing" minimalist shoe that I can wear when I don't have time for people to freak out over my shoes. Plus, I have a mild obsession with weird/different/ugly shoes. These aren't too bad, but I doubt they'd win any shoe beauty contests LOL
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast