Thread: Back Squats - Unracking and Racking page

Rob from NJ is offline Junior Member

Back Squats - Unracking and Racking

Primal Fuel
    I've read that one should unrack and rack a squat bar with it set in between the collarbone and nipples but if only those 2 extremes are available which is better? I'm 5'8" and at setting 6 of the rack I don't quite have to get on my toes but anticipate at heavier weight it could be harder getting it back on while at the setting 5 there is additional energy involved with unracking although racking would be easier. I'm curious on which way others would recommend (a trainer at the gym said to do whichever is more comfortable) as I'm still at low weights while progressing and would prefer to start off right.

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    When in doubt, safety comes first. It would be better to have it a little too low rather than a little too high.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
    When in doubt, safety comes first. It would be better to have it a little too low rather than a little too high.
    Yep. Definitely better to have to do a partial squat to unrack/rack than to have to come up on your toes. You don't want to come up on your toes when the weight gets really heavy.

randomnav is online now Junior Member
    Definitely suggest going on the lower side. Couple of weeks ago I didn't lower the pins after someone else had a been squatting and almost had an accident after a heavier set, learnt my lesson!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Err on lower. When they get heavy you don't want any part of the bar to catch when you unrack and you don't want to have to exert yourself at all to rerack. If I stick my arms out perfectly level, the squat bar is lower than that by several inches.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, some racks just have the holes too damn far apart. If so, I err lower. Just make sure you get your feet set and get your back into extension before you lift the bar off, especially as the weight gets heavier.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Man I'm late to this party. Errbody's right. Bye.
    The Champagne of Beards