Thread: Primal Journal (Mike Ratcliffe) page

ratcliffe_mike is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (Mike Ratcliffe)

I was primal and then stopped, I suppose I became demotivated because I stopped losing weight. Stopping was a huge mistake as I have rapidly gained weight until I reached 125kg (276 lbs).

I think the missing piece of the jigsaw for me was that I didn't realize that Grok would never have had food around as often as I was eating. At least for me IF appears to be very important.

I have decided to put an end to my time of plenty and start fasting every second day.

My plan is simple:

1. On day: Eat only one meal (dinner). Make sure I include a reasonable amount of protein and fibrous veg... I find that I am full very quickly whilst fasting.
    2. Off day: Eat nothing.
    3. Go to step 1.

Of course, I need to drink plenty of water and take supplements. With three babies I truly don't have time to exercise properly but I can do bodyweight exercises in between tasks at work. I plan on doing that about 1/2 hour before I eat.

When I reach maintenance I will only eat dinner each day, I suspect that will work best for me.

Very Embarrassing Before Photo
    Before.jpg

Day 1 125kg (275.6 lbs) Fasting was fairly difficult as the hunger pangs were very strong and I felt dizzy.

Day 2 123.5 (272.3 lbs) Almost no appetite today but I ate reasonably well.

Day 3 123.0 (271.2 lbs) Fasting was very easy, I had no hunger pangs at all.

Day 4 121.8 (268.5 lbs) Had no appetite for half the day then ate as much as I could in the evening... I am not sure why as I wasn't really very hungry.

Day 5 121.2 (267.2 lbs) Fast day. Continual hunger but mostly concerned that my left elbow and forearm are aching. Occasional pains in my abs too.

Day 6 120.6 (265.9 lbs) Feast day. We had friends around for a party... we had a great time but I was surprised that I didn't seem able to each much.

Day 7 120.6 (265.9 lbs) Fast day. No more pains. Still surprised that I am not feeling hungry.

Day 8 120.2 (265.7 lbs) Had a bit more of an appetite today... starting to feel gooood.

Day 9 120.5 (265.7 lbs) First day that my weight went up so my body is probably in a repair cycle. I found it a little demotivating but it is still 100g less than the previous feast day. Lots of hunger pangs today but I managed to avoid eating anything... I did have a few cups of stock though.

Day 10 119.6 (263.7 lbs) Down almost a kilo today took me below the 120kg mark. I am averaging over a pound a day weight loss, which is excellent. In the past I have found that I plateau very early but I am hopeful this time. Ate well in the evening.

Day 11 119.3 (263 lbs) Fast day. After eating as much as I did last night I am surprised that my weight is lower today... no complaints though.

Day 12 118.7 (261.7 lbs) Yesterday was fairly difficult as I felt weak and dizzy. In the evening I drank plenty of water and then felt completely wired so I then had trouble sleeping. Lesson learned... make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day when you fast.

Day 13 120.1 (268.4 lbs) Fast Day. I was shocked when I stood on the scales and weighed 1.4kg more than yesterday, especially because I didn't eat much. I suspect it is because I had stomach ache from eating something that was probably bad. I figure my body needs to hold on to extra water to deal with it properly.

Day 14 119.2 (262.8 lbs) Back down almost a kilo so it confirms that I am holding more water for healing... I expect to start dropping fairly quickly again.

Day 15 118.6 (261.5 lbs) Fast Day. Ate very well yesterday... made a point of eating lots of fibrous veg. Back down to just below my weight before being sick but this time after a feast day. Had a diet soda today and it made me nauseously hungry so it seems like I am best sticking with water.

Day 16 117.6 (259.3 lbs) Dropped a kilo today so now back on schedule as far as weight loss. Felt good and energetic yesterday, no hunger. I think my body is adjusting to my new eating schedule so I am starting to enjoy it more. I noticed last night that I have awful, bitter smelling body odor almost like some kind of solvent, a sure sign that my body is burning it's fat stores.

Day 17 118.3 (260.8 lbs) Fast day.

Day 18 117.3 (258.6 lbs) I need to learn to make myself less roast veg because I get full very quickly.

Day 19 117.9 (259.9 lbs) Fast day.

Day 20 118.0 (260.1 lbs) I was surprised for my weight to go up over a fast day but the weight must be water as I struggle to even eat 2000 calories on feast days.

Day 21 118.1 (260.4 lbs) Not surprised that my weight rose again after a feast day. I am expecting it to drop again soon.

Day 22 117.1 (258.2 lbs) And down it goes again. I am not sure why I am struggling to get below 117kg but I am guessing that there is some process going on that I don't understand... my body healing itself maybe?

Day 23 117.5 (259 lbs) Fast day. Noticed last night that even though I have had muscle and joint aches my legs feel much stronger than before I started IF. I suppose this could be a result of taking the opportunity to squat when picking things off the floor etc. I figure I am probably doing around 30 squats a day picking up after the kids.

Day 24 117 (257.9 lbs) Finally reached 117kg... I am not sure why there has been such a dramatic slowdown in weight loss but at least it is going in the right direction, if only very gradually now.

Day 25 116.8 (257.5 lbs) Fast day. Surprised to have lost slightly after a feast day. It is taking almost zero effort to alternate eating and not eating so my body is mostly adjusted. I may only be losing gradually, but over a kilo in a week is still pretty good.

Day 26 115.6 (254.9 lbs) Surprised to have dropped 1.2 kilos in a day so I suspect a lot of water loss. It could also be that I am not drinking as much stock because of the high salt content.

Day 27 116.7 (257.3 lbs) Fast day.

Day 28 115.8 (255.3 lbs) Ate very well today but made a point of stopping eating once full.

Day 29 115.1 (253.7 lbs) Fast day. Surprised that I had lost more weight this morning... no complaints though.

Day 30 115.5 (254.6 lbs) Weight gain is obviously water, only slight so no concerns.

Day 31 116.6 (257.1 lbs) 1.5kg gain in two days, ouch! I have been keeping to the diet so maybe I am storing lots of water. I will make a point of drinking a lot and see if I start losing again.

Day 32 117.4 (258.8 lbs) Fast day. Felt awful today... guessing I have a virus.

Day 33 117 (257.9 lbs) Still feel fairly bad but at least I am functioning. I really seem to be struggling to remain below 117.0 kg but I know I will start dropping again at some point.
    Last edited by ratcliffe_mike; 11-21-2014 at 02:20 AM.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Here's the good news: if you stick with eating well, continue losing fat, and implement a good workout program, you have the underlying bone and muscle structure to look and perform like a monster. The good kind of monster.

Go get it.

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    That profile shot looks similar to where I was in 2012. Good headway so far.
    If it becomes too hard I will eat a little on a down day
    Suggest that you don't force the fasting, just eat when hungry, and only when hungry, stop when no longer hungry. The fasting will take care of itself.

Yeah, I have found that I have been getting almost no hunger pangs. I drink a cup of stock if it is particularly strong and the hunger disappears straight away.

I have had diarrhoea from day 1... I suppose that I can tolerate this but does anybody have any tips?

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    No suggestions here, if anything, my digestion goes a little the other direction.

Milicoqui is offline Member

The One About Poop...

Quote Originally Posted by ratcliffe_mike View Post
    I have had diarrhea from day 1... I suppose that I can tolerate this but does anybody have any tips?
    How much water are you drinking? Could be that you're drinking way more than you need to and that's why your BMs are loosy goosey but if you have constant diarrhea then you need fluids to prevent you from getting dehydrated.

Dairy also does that to me so no more dairy for me. What are you eating? Hopefully you can find what's causing this by looking at what you're eating and eliminate that one item for a week and see how your body tolerates it..

Interesting Read: What Your Poop Says About You (For Serious) - Mama Natural
    Last edited by Milicoqui; 11-05-2014 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Adding links

The last few days I have only had diarrhoea on fast days.

A typical meal for me would be 2 tuna steaks fried in coconut oil and lots of roast veg so it is probably the water.

Milicoqui is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcliffe_mike View Post
    The last few days I have only had diarrhea on fast days. A typical meal for me would be 2 tuna steaks fried in coconut oil and lots of roast veg so it is probably the water.
    Yea I can't imagine the food you're eating is causing it. By the way, tuna steaks fried in coconut oil sounds awesome. I assume on fast days you drink a lot of water so that could be it.