Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wife's stomach blows up!!!! page

mkunz is offline Junior Member

My wife's stomach blows up!!!!

Primal Fuel
    Ok so my wife and I have been eating Primal for about 3 months at about 70-80%, she is more on the 70% and I am closer to above 80. Recently, when ever she eats certain foods, be it a fruits or veggies her stomach blows up so she looks 7 months pregnant, and then the next morning it is gone. Has anyone ever dealt with this? Last night we had smoked sausage and cabbage, along with brussel sprouts and hazelnuts and she blew up, the other day she had a pear and the same thing happened. She is getting very fustrated and she cant figure it out and the dr.'s can't figure it out either.

Please help, we will try anything!!!!!

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, candida maybe?

kitana is offline Senior Member
    Is she keeping a food log? That can be illustrative.

chia is offline Senior Member
    brussels sprouts and cabbage..aren't those items that usualy produce alot of gas?... also, she could have digestive issues and should maybe practice food combining. many women, and men, especially middle aged, do well on having fruit by itself and not combining fruits with other food or nuts with other foods. Google it and read about it..it usually helps tremendously. A bit of a pain in the butt though but we have to do what we have to do. She also may want to take a good digestive enzyme before a meat heavy meal. just my thoughts... :-)

zorba is offline Member
    Cauliflower! That could be my culprit!

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkunz View Post
    Recently, when ever she eats certain foods, be it a fruits or veggies her stomach blows up so she looks 7 months pregnant, and then the next morning it is gone. Please help, we will try anything!!!!!
    My wife has struggled with similar but not as "prolific" issues (7 months??? really???). She has not really embraced the PB life-style but whenever a bout of "ballooning" occurs, she will add probiotics, kefir, and yogurt and it seems to get things back under control. My take on it is that the gut flora gets out of balance and fermentation kicks in
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

shannon is offline Senior Member
    definitely some fermentation goin' on. yogurt is a good choice assuming she can tolerate dairy. get the no sugar added whole fat kind. cabbage is a bit gas forming though. i agree on the fruit. it should be eaten alone or with some good fat like coconut cream. this happened to me a lot when i ate grains though, funny how shes having the opposite effect. good luck. she may just need some time adjusting. candida may be worth looking into.

Pessimist is offline Senior Member
    I would have this happen to me almost daily. My stomach was bigger than a pregnant woman, and it was very uncomfortable to say the least. I couldn't figure out why, so I just kept increasing fibre fibre fibre. I was miserable. Peoples eyes would bug out of their heads when they saw how distended my stomach would become. I also had, ahem, other GI issues.
    Then I discovered PB and went primal. It hasn't happened since. I still don't know exactly which food item caused it, but it must have been grain related.
    Perhaps that 30% non primal grain is the culprit.
    The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pessimist View Post
    I would have this happen to me almost daily. My stomach was bigger than a pregnant woman, and it was very uncomfortable to say the least. I couldn't figure out why, so I just kept increasing fibre fibre fibre. I was miserable. Peoples eyes would bug out of their heads when they saw how distended my stomach would become. I also had, ahem, other GI issues.
    Then I discovered PB and went primal. It hasn't happened since. I still don't know exactly which food item caused it, but it must have been grain related.
    Perhaps that 30% non primal grain is the culprit.
    This is identical to my situation and experience. One of MANY reasons I'll never go back!

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I have had a long history of candida problems, I am best on 100% no grains, almost no fruit, limited veggies that can cause bloating (cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage, sometimes cucumber). I keep my carbs below 50g a day generally. I take probiotics and eat full fat plain yogurt daily. Coconut oil, oil of oregano, garlic, and a few other items are all anti fungals....and when I am really having issues, I need to limit these and increase doses slowly.

Generally though, once I have limited my sugars and starches for awhile, done the probiotics and fermented foods, then I can start relaxing some of my food monitoring.

Could be that as you have gone primal she has uncovered an underlying issue and you are dealing with die offs too.......maybe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast