Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The hunger pangss!!! How to keep "full"? page

superseiyan is offline Member

The hunger pangss!!! How to keep "full"?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How to make it stop? I've been doing this for 6 months now.

I skip meals randomly (average every other day i don't eat lunch or breakfast). However, often I get this incredible attacks of hunger and this is problematic because I know according to Paleo one shouldn't eat fruit (too much sugar), nuts (will make you fat and theyr'e mostly fried in vegetable oil or are poisonous like peanuts/cashews), or cheese (humans are allergic to dairy).

Of course I know not to go to the vending machine--I've transitioned away from processed foods that's no problem. But with fruit, nuts and cheeses "not allowed" or when allowed, allowed in a grudging manner that makes one guilty of eating. What are you all doing to stay satieted/full and to keep food out of your mind?

So far I've found a few squares of dark chocolate 68/70% work well.

Example from yesterday:
    Morning -- Chocolate Milk (1/2 coconut milk 1/2 regular coconut milk, 100% cocoa powder, a little stevia)
    Morning snack -- Green Apple
    Lunch -- none
    Afternoon snack - few squares of dark chocolate
    Late Afternoon snack - few baby carrots (was dying by the time I ate them).
    Late Dinner - Chicken in cream soup, and some spinach.

Today (so far plus planned):
    Morning - Smoothie (coconut milk, frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries)
    Morning Snack - few squres of dark chocolate
    Planned lunch - meats combination from a deli buffett.
    Planned dinner - salad from chipotle
    Planned after-dinner - a glass of three of wine

The other possibility that I'll accept is that possibly, psychologically I'm dwelling on my hunger too much and suffering for it.

Stats: Male, 28, 175 lbs, 5'9", I do exercise (but I don't overdo it since reading Marks book).

RezH is offline Senior Member
    Eat more fat. Chicken is not a good meat for Primal. You appear to be undereating during the day, so you probably need to add calories to your evening meal. I would also throw in some eggs. Hardboiled is pretty easy, and they keep my hunger at bay when at work, and I do not normally eat anything for lunch.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    um... FAT! it doesn't look like you're getting enough. i'll eat 2-3 eggs fried in coconut oil, a few sardines, maybe some bacon. i'll stay full until 4 or 5pm. i also eat meat every meal. take a few TB. of coconut oil throughout the day. nuts aren't too bad if you properly prepare them by soaking in salt water. just don't over do. maybe a handful if hunger strikes, otherwise i'd be sticking to 2 or 3 meals loaded with fat. i have found that is how i stay satisfied throughout the day :-) good luck!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I find if I eat fruit as a stand-alone snack, I become ravenous. My fruit snacks tend to be some kind of berry mixed into 1/2 cup of Fage total (full fat) greek yogurt. Or, if I want an apple (very rare), I'll dice it up and toss it in a salad with a meal.

It doesn't look like you are eating very much food! At least by yesterday's menu. I'm hungry just looking at what you ate. More meat, more veggies, more fat. Less chocolate.

I'm a female, 5'9" 150 (still losing weight) and this is what I ate yesterday:
    breakfast: left over beef stew (made with meat, veggies, broth) - about 544 cals

lunch: 3 eggs, 2 slices of bacon, BAS with olive oil and balsamic vinegar: 530 cals

dinner: 6 oz chicken breast sauteed in copious amounts of coconut oil with a bunch of squash, bell pepper and garlic: 400 cals

post workout: 1/2 cup Fage with 1 cup blackberries: 212 cals.

Add in a handful of fish oil pills.

Total: about 1700 calories. On days when I IF, I'll skip breakfast and just eat bigger meals or cook with more fat. I've found the more fat I eat, the better controlled my hunger is. Though, right now I'm tapering down my carbs after letting them eek out of control the last few months so my hunger is a bit more pronounced than when I'm eating more in line with PB.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

superseiyan is offline Member
    Wow, quick feedback so far. Appreciate it.

So go HUGE on breakfast (provided I'm avoiding the grains) for starters? Also interested in seeing what you're eating in between meals. I see one example from Ken about berries/yogurt. The fruit--ravenous thing could be one reason I'm feeling so hungry. Possibly overdoing it on fruit? I was under the impression fruit didn't wreck with appetites like grain or sugar drinks

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
    .... or cheese (humans are allergic to dairy).

Example from yesterday:
    Morning -- Chocolate Milk (1/2 coconut milk 1/2 regular coconut milk, 100% cocoa powder, a little stevia)
    Morning snack -- Green Apple
    Lunch -- none
    Afternoon snack - few squares of dark chocolate
    Late Afternoon snack - few baby carrots (was dying by the time I ate them).
    Late Dinner - Chicken in cream soup, and some spinach.
    First, cheese and dairy can be consumed based on YOUR tolerance. If it doesn't bother you, then do it!

And, looking at your posted day, holy crap. I'd be hungry too! Basically you just nibble all day long on things that will cause you to get an insulin rise. The coconut/cocoa shake isn't so bad but combined with stevia, likely raises your insulin level. I save any stevia-based treats to the evening (cuz I know I won't snack while I sleep).

The apple, the chocolate, the carrots......sweet, sweet, sweet. I'd be ravenous!

Dinner doesn't look so bad but I personally find chicken completely unsatisfying.

I rarely get 'hungry', today as an example:
    Breakfast: 6 oz of HWC in coffee
    Lunch: eggplant, salmon and sardines sandwiches (see thread in recipes forum)
    Snack (maybe): 1/2 c. pork rinds
    Dinner: 8 oz of med-rare sirloin
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    More meat. More fat.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Lots of chicken haters up in here and I love me some chicken.

Just sayin.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, definitely more protein and (especially) fat. I'd focus more on bigger meals and less on snacking. Also, skipping meals may not the be best option for you right now. If you're strugging with hunger, your body probably isn't ready for IF -- it should come easily and naturally, and shouldn't feel forced.

As others have said, dairy and fruit (particularly eaten by itself) can both result in cravings or hunger within a couple hours. Chocolate (even 99% cocoa) does the same to me.

If you're hungry, EAT! Don't scrape by on a few carrots -- have a half-pound, bunless burger or a can of sardines or a couple HB eggs. Plus the carrots. Seriously, this isn't about starving yourself. Eat fulfilling, nourishing foods until you're satisfied instead of nibbling your way through the day and always feeling deprived.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
    Wow, quick feedback so far. Appreciate it.

So go HUGE on breakfast (provided I'm avoiding the grains) for starters? Also interested in seeing what you're eating in between meals. I see one example from Ken about berries/yogurt. The fruit--ravenous thing could be one reason I'm feeling so hungry. Possibly overdoing it on fruit? I was under the impression fruit didn't wreck with appetites like grain or sugar drinks
    Your post kinda freaked me out b/c my hubby's name is Ken and I was like "WAH?? When did he start posting here?" LOL Forgot about KENnelmom being my username. But I digress...

I've been on a breakfast kick lately, but honestly I don't typically even eat breakfast. My rule of thumb is that if I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I don't. Though, I work from home so it's easier for me to do that than if I worked in an office w/o access to just cook something up when I wanted it.

I don't really eat between meals. I think if you eat enough fat...and eat enough calories...in a meal, you really shouldn't get super hungry. My between meal snacks would be a handful of raw nuts (literally, one handful). Or some greek yogurt with or without fruit. If I start getting hungry between meals it's usually because 1) I've let my carbs creep up and I'm eating more non-veggie carbs and 2) my 20% "cheats" have become more like 30 or 40%...nothing but bad news there.

Sometimes you have to just play around and see what works best for you. Some folks do really well eating many times a day. I personally don't. I am *usually* Ok on just two meals a day and *maybe* a snack or post workout "meal." Some folks need breakfast to be their best and others don't.

My best advice: play around with things but try to always keep the focus on meat, veggies and fat. Let the chocolate and fruit be minimal part of a meal, not an all-out snack on their own. See how that goes for a while and tweak from there.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast