Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal of Muffin the Moose page

Primal Journal of Muffin the Moose

I have decided to start this journal as a way of keeping myself accountable. I have dabbled with Primal/Paleo eating and lifestyle for nearly 4 years, but have so far always failed to consistently keep up the healthy habits. I am always super-compliant for a week, then get bored, go 80/20 for about another 2 weeks then I drop off a cliff...this applies to pretty much any habit change I try to deal with. I appeal to any of you guys out there to shout, rant and rave at me. I need it. Please help! I am the sort of person for whom criticism works better than praise (I think), but don't let that hold you back if feel positive comments are appropriate...

Background:
    I am a Brit, 47 years old, male. Like many people drawn to this lifestyle, I have always struggled with my weight; as a 10 year old district 100m sprint champion my sports teacher said "I have never seen anyone your shape run as fast as you". I like to think that would probably still apply today, although my times for the 100m would be much slower than when I was 10! Currently 116 kg (that's 255 lbs) with the aim, first of all, to get back into double figures (99kg is c. 220lbs) and see how we go from there. The last time I was at that weight must have been a good 15 years ago, so long that I have no idea what "ideal" for me will be, but trust I'll know it when I see it. The highest weight I reached was 123.4kg (c. 270 lbs) in May 2014. I am a bit of a numbers geek, and the numerical significance of the digits of that weigh-in shocked me into some action. The 7kg I have lost since then has been done the right way, lots of walking and solid basic primal food; real food, not too much, lots of veggies and meat/eggs/fish.
    When I fall off the bandwagon, it is to conventional food; bread, fast food when pressed for time or travelling, but most importantly to not moving around a lot slowly. I fell off that bandwagon 4 weeks ago and the weight hasn't moved since. At least it's only stable, not increasing again...But I need to get back on it.
    My past relevant reading list comprises: Primal Blueprint and MDA, plus Wheat Belly, Adrenal Fatigue, Waist Disposal (Dr John Briffa, a UK based GP...highly recommended!), Good Calories Bad Calories. When it comes to basic nutrition I know what I need to do, the "just do it" bit keeps eluding me. My Twitter timeline is filled with Primal and Paleo peeps of many shades.
    I was a PrimalCon 2012 attendee in Oxnard...a great experience but hated the feeling of being "the fat kid"...obviously not enough to have fixed it yet! Better to avoid future PrimalCons and not feel the same way again. Have promised myself I will attend again once I can contribute to the push ups and plank in the challenge! And for anyone who was there I guess I just killed my anonymity.

Health:
    My general health has always been good until recently when age and too much sitting in an office drinking coffee have all begun to catch up with me - lower back issues, neurological issues (as yet not fully diagnosed) I can keep under some level of control with chiropractic treatment. Adrenal Issues: Cutting back on coffee and increasing water consumption is one of my recent challenges (was good for a week...same old, same old).
    I am a weekly commuter, working in Germany currently. That means disrupted sleep, upset schedules, limited time, too much sitting in aeroplanes and cars, too much poor food availability...in all, too many ready EXCUSES!!!
    I use a Withings Pulse to measure my steps and sleep (helps to satisfy the geek part...)
    I have two kids in early teens...known as Mooselet #1 and Mooselet #2...both football (soccer) mad. I am a regular linesman/referee on Saturdays for their matches - gives me some exercise and (theoretically) stops me getting "too involved" as I have to remain calm and independent.

So why am I here starting this now? Because compliance is critical in the success of any weight-loss and health programme. And compliance (after the first super-successful week) is my issue. I am hoping that public accountability will help me comply more for longer. Expect me to fully complete and comply for a week and then get ready to get shouting at me for not checking in and going off the boil.

Day 1 nutrition:
    B: Egg and ham wrap
    S: 2 cups coffee
    L: Stuffed pepper (solid meat stuffing) with rice
    D: Chicken soup

Day 1 fitness:
    Steps: 2,905 (big panic at work ended up home at 10pm)
    Sprints: None
    Lifting: None

Day 1 lifestyle:
    Sun: none (day in office plus 100% cloud cover all day and raining)
    Sleep: 7h52 total , 4h08 deep
    Poisons: 2 cups coffee, breakfast wrap
    Stupid mistakes: told my boss exactly what I thought of him
    Last edited by MuffinTheMoose; 10-16-2014 at 09:19 AM.

Day 2

Day 2 nutrition:
    B: None (think that might be called IF?)
    S: 2 cups coffee, 2 squares chocolate
    L: Cordon bleu (pork) and mixed veggies
    D: Soup, pate wrap (really must clear out all banned substances...)

Day 2 fitness:
    Steps: 3,039

Day 2 lifestyle:
    Sun: none (whole day in office plus 100% cloud cover all day and raining)
    Sleep: Forgot to measure...
    Poisons: 3 cups coffee
    Stupid mistakes: Falling asleep on sofa in front of TV instead of getting my a*** out the door walking...

Had to cancel my flight home tonight due to work demands, bit upset about cutting out 24 hours of time with my tribe. My hopes were also dashed at work - for a moment there was a chink of light and an outside possibility to get rid of my boss, unfortunately that door was firmly slammed shut again. My late working, missing out on exercise last night were in the end for nothing, but it was worth a try. The silver lining is it means I'm out of here sooner rather than later...estimated 4 weeks to go until I can be rid of him forever!

Does anyone out there follow anything from Paul McKenna? I am also trying to follow his eating rules for losing weight. I actually find them very Primal: Eat when you are hungry, Enjoy every mouthful slowly, Eat what you want (which is obviously grass fed beef, veggies, eggs etc), Stop eating when you are full. Not really getting the hypnosis part of the deal, but it does work well for me when I can consciously remember the rules, focus on them and get myself to stick to them...although I was quite hungry at lunch (due to IF'ing!) I ate very slowly, chewing each mouthful. I still finished my plate so probably forgot rule 4, but I wasn't stuffed.
    Last edited by MuffinTheMoose; 10-17-2014 at 06:25 AM.

Day 3 nutrition:
    B: 2 Sausage patties, 2 eggs, Coffee
    S: 2 cups coffee
    L: Buffet of open sandwiches (eek!)...maxed the ham, cheese, tomato and cucumber
    D: Leberkäse, sauerkraut

Day 3 fitness:
    Steps: 4,087

Day 3 lifestyle:
    Sun: none
    Sleep: Forgot to measure...
    Poisons: Coffee
    Stupid mistakes: None I'm aware of...

Day 4

Nutrition:
    B: 2 eggs, ham
    L: Quesadilla
    S: Coffee
    D: Chicken in mushroom sauce and rosemary potatoes (I don't know for sure but think the Italian restaurant cooks, cools and reheats! Need to ask them next time I go)

Exercise:
    Steps 8,134
    Sprints: Linesman for Mooselet #2 football

Lifestyle
    Sun: Little, cloudy but outside for 2-3 hours in the morning, sitting at cafe in afternnon in full sun 30 mins
    Sleep: no measure
    Poisons: 1 major coffee
    Mistakes: not aware of any

Weigh-in: Saturday is my weigh-in day. This week was 116.5kg (256lb), that's a gain of 0.4kg in the week, but with the little walking I did (my Withings keeps telling me how I've "lost it" recently...) and some crap food choices, no surprise.

Day 5

Nutrition:
    B: 2 eggs
    L: Buffet at church lunch...little Primal fare to choose from
    D: Cheese on toast, 1 small beer

Exercise:
    Steps 3,822

Lifestyle:
    Sun: None
    Poisons: wheat
    Mistakes: not aware of any apart from the above...

Day 6

Nutrition:
    B: Full English (sausage, bacon, egg, mushroom, beans)
    L: Tuna salad
    D: Turkey leg, veg, 1 glass red wine

Exercise:
    Steps 19,338 (1.5 hour walk in early evening)
    Lifting: None unless hauling shopping counts!

Lifestyle:
    Sun: A little on my walk...
    Poisons: beans
    Mistakes: not aware of any apart from the above...

Getting back to walking felt good, and not just because I got through about 5 MDA podcasts while I was doing it. The late afternoon sun, the Rhein next to me, seeing dogs playing, all good. One podcast was the one about walkers/thinkers...great inspiration and shows me that I need to get back to writing. Well I suppose I already did...I came back on here and caught up the missed days. But I mean properly back to writing. Keep walking like today and the writing will just spew out of me, of that I'm sure!

I also cooked up a batch of potatoes to cool in the fridge and use later...I have to say I'm a big fan of these findings on RS!
    Last edited by MuffinTheMoose; 10-21-2014 at 04:12 AM.

Day 7

I allowed the weather to keep me inside this evening...the remains of Hurrican Gonzalo hit Düsseldorf this evening. Food was good today, feeling back in step at the moment. Who knows? Maybe this journal is doing it's job and keeping me on track and accountable...but then I am still in the first week so could be too early to tell.
    Am "suffering" the effects of a couple of good days nutrition in my libido...nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more.

Nutrition:
    B: 3 small sausages, 2 eggs, refried potatoes
    D: Turkey leg, veg, refried potatoes

Exercise:
    Steps: few, gadget forgotten...

Lifestyle:
    Sun: In this weather!
    Poisons: coffee
    Mistakes: not aware of any...
    Play: None unless you count little wind-ups of my boss (I do by the way!). On the bright side I've realised I forgot it on my list, so adding it to my journal will remind me to play a bit more often...

Day 8

Back to walking. Weather still cold and damp but not actually raining and I did a good 7km walk in the dark as stuck at "work" too late to see any daylight. Slight over-eating due to a week's holiday next week and the need to clear the fridge...managed to freeze some leftover bone broth but "just" finished up main meal. It was probably a good 3 portions if I was under control. The only good side is that it was all good stuff and I was planning to eat half at breakfast the nexdt day and have nothing to replace it with...so over both meals I will eat what I planned! Libido efects remain high despite watching very boring second half of the Dortmund match in the evening...seriously boring enough to turn anyone off everything. Topped it by falling asleep on the sofa til gone midnight. Never a clever move for good sleep!

Nutrition:
    B: 4 small sausages, 2 eggs, refried potatoes
    L: Frikadella salad
    D: Beef mince, veg, refried potatoes all in my famous satay-style coconut/tomato/peanut butter sauce

Exercise:
    Steps: 12,449
    Sprints: Small amount of running during my walk. Not sure I'm quite up to calling them sprints but it's progress vs my recent performance

Lifestyle:
    Sun: In this weather!
    Sleep: 7h35m; 3h37m deep. In bed at 22:16 too so well pleased with that.
    Poisons: coffee
    Mistakes: eating way too much at dinner...and not peeing before I went for a long walk (hope the video cameras didn't get me...)
    Play: None

badgergirl is offline Senior Member
    Wotcha, muffin. I see this journal has not yet felt the love. Let me be the first to wish you well in your endeavours.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

Day 16 or is it 17...I'll call it day 3

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, my prediction for 1 week of journalling was pretty close. I have a ton of excuses lined up including a week's holiday and my sister-in law's wedding. But they are all just excuses. I'm back and I guess that's something.

Thanks to BadgerGirl for noticing my journal and thanks for the good wishes...as I said in post 1, feel free to virtually kick my butt.

I'm going to call this day 3 because I have embarked on "NOvember". Nothing to do with facial hair, but me saying No to Wheat, No to Sugar, No to Coffee and No to Alcohol for the month of November. And since yesterday was the 3rd of November it's Day 3 of this particular challenge. Lets see if this one lasts for more than the usual week. At least I'll be able to more easily remember what day I'm on...

Nutrition:
    B: Insides of a BLT sandwich, decaff coffee
    S: Dark chocolate (2 squares), turkey breast/cheese
    D: Steak, grünkohl and broccoli

Fitness:
    Steps: 6,314

Lifestyle:
    Sleep: Not measured
    Play: None
    Sun: None (raining all day in Düsseldorf)
    Poisons: Think I can honestly say none!
    Stupid mistakes: None I know of

Actually, one mistake of omission was not to go for a walk. Ok I needed to go shopping. OK it was raining. OK I got up early to fly to Germany. BUT really, those are all just excuses. I am excuse-man! Not much of a superhero is it! "No matter what scrape you find yourself in, Excuse-Man will find you hundreds of different ways to explain away your bad behaviour!"
    But seriously, what good did those 3 hours sitting on my butt watching a George Clooney film actually do for my health? OK I may have boiled up then refrigerated my potatoes for the week during the commercial breaks (and boy are the commercial breaks in Germany long...) The film is probably only 1.5 hours long, the rest of the time is interminable ads.
    Boy am I dumb. I just thought I'd better look up "grünkohl" to see what it is in English. I somehow thought it was one of the many only-found-in-Germany types of cabbage. I love the stuff. Only to discover...doh...that it's kale!!! Good job I have loads left for the next few days...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast