Thread: fyrespryte's journal page

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member

fyrespryte's journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hmm...can't say whether I'll keep up with this or not, but I spend enough time on these darned forums, I might as well give it a shot since I haven't been keeping up with my other journal. Writing = stress relief, and having some record of things that I'm doing/not doing is good too. And, might as well mention that I'm climbing back up on the wagon after a week of half assing it.

The last three weeks have been kind of full of suck actually. Motivation is so difficult for me to achieve and there for a while, I was super motivated. Totally psyched about going primal, getting more physically active. For weeks, I was outside, walking or riding my bike. I was taking my vitamins, I was staying away from all the crap food and I even quit smoking.

Then I hurt my knee and couldn't do anything physical for a week. As soon as that got better, I got sick. That lasted for about a week and took a real toll on my strength, and then last Friday, I got into a car accident and between being sore, not eating correctly, failing on my vitamins...this week has just been awful. Back to barely functional. The stairs are becoming a challenge again.

I'm wondering what the Universe is trying to tell me. Not real big on coincidences, perhaps I was pushing myself too hard without knowing it? I don't know. I do know that all of this, on top of not seeing the spectacular results that many other people have when I *was* being good, has been hell on my motivation.

BUT, that's not to say that I've given up. I likely won't be able to climb back up all in one shot but I can do little things here and there.

I didn't have a cigarette today. That whole "smoke while partying" thing lasted two days longer than it should have. My first slip in a month, but meh. Now I'm paying for it with another 72 hour detox. Just have to re-imprint "I don't want a cigarette." onto my brain.

Breakfast was primal, dinner was mostly primal...(pork rinds fried in mystery oil - probably veg based, brat that had HFC in it. But, the rest was a BAS. Totally failed with a huge piece of apple pie, ice cream and chocolate sauce at the diner though. Believe me, I've been paying for it ever since.

I think I get so caught up in results and weight loss, and blah blah blah that I end up forgetting why I started eating this way in the first place. I WASN'T DIGESTING FOOD!! That pie sat in my gut for hours, then I ate dinner...my tongue is still burning and I haven't felt that in weeks! Doh. It's not the first time I've cheated, but it has been the first time since I started that I've had such a long series of cheats. Pizza for the last two days.

Well...it's not like there's any going back for me, so I just have to try, try again. I have to get motivated again to get creative with my food...hell, even motivated enough to MAKE food. This last week it's been so bad that there's been more than once that I've just gone hungry rather than put in the effort to make something. I've got produce going bad in there, coconut oil that I've barely touched, and last week let a $6 gallon of raw milk go bad.

I have an appointment with my kinesiologist today. We found out that the car insurance has a $1000 deductible on it. I'm way more worried about the likelihood of adrenal fatigue than I am the minor injuries I sustained in the crash. If he can't address that, I'm going to forgo any further treatment. (I'm sure we already owe him close to $200. That's money that I need to spend on tests to figure out what the hell is wrong with me come September.

Ha, not the most upbeat first post but whatever. Not in a fantastic place at the moment, but not giving up.

Things are looking up a bit. I talked to the insurance folks and the other lady's insurance will be picking up both my deductible and the 20% left over after my insurance covers 80%. Dr. Stolley is working on my adrenals in addition to everything else, he says it's "part of the package," so we'll see how I feel after my treatment. If I'm not 100% I'll still have the money to get the tests done that I need. Today he added a joint and ligament support supplement temporarily to my regimen, (groan...more pills!) and verified that I should be taking 3 of the adrenal support sups. Monday I'm going to take the rest of my giant bag o' supplements in to him and ask him to muscle test them. I'm curious what my body will say about the dose for the Omega 3's. It definitely did NOT like the dose that Robb Wolf's calculator suggested (22 pills per day). Even two and I'm burping up fish...perhaps time to try the O3 co-factors again. I still have some left.

Dr. said it was totally normal to sleep a LOT after my treatments. After the first treatment, I came home, took a four hour nap, got up for six hours and then went back to sleep for fourteen hours!!! I figured maybe my body was just trying to catch up. Between that and the reset that Dr. Stolley gave my body...it wanted REST! Today I came home after my appointment and slept for nine hours. I have very vivid and interesting dreams during these long periods of sleep. They're kinda neat. I'm honestly just grateful to HAVE a good nights sleep after these many months of not sleeping well and being exhausted all the time. After that long sleep yesterday, I didn't go to bed last night. I stayed up, took an hour and a half nap this morning before my appointment and then went out. Also got my x-rays done. I don't expect anything bad to come up on them. I almost feel bad for getting treatment for this, because the injuries seem so minor...but after my treatments, I feel a LOT better and I realize that they seem minor because I'm ALWAYS in pain. My neck has been feeling like someone greased up the joints, which is just weird. It's so strange not to feel all the cracking and popping and pain that's always there. There is still some, especially on the right side, and I still have a bit of a headache but it seems with each treatment it feels better.

As for food...what I ate last night did a huge number on my stomach. I was tasting the brat that I ate until 1:30 when I had my appointment and my tongue was burning. I asked him to take a look at that and he adjusted some things. Said my illio-secal valve was off and that would make me miserable. Definitely felt better afterwards. Came home and had watermelon. It was the thing we had in the fridge that seemed the easiest to digest. That was all I had all afternoon. When I woke up, I made a variation of these. Tasty, and filling. I didn't have any coconut flour and my food processor didn't work too well to grind up the dessicated coconut that I had. It just made it somewhat smaller. I used a whole smallish sweet potato, cinnamon and some cayenne. Next time more cayenne, couldn't even taste it. But I put some butter on them to melt as they came off the pan and drizzled coconut milk over them and they were yummmmmy. Doubt I could get the Man to eat them, but there's two left in case I can get him to try them.

So...no physical activity today, the world is all topsy turvy with my crazy sleep schedule. I HAVE to get back on a normal schedule. Don't know how I'm going to be able to stay up until tonight. Maybe I'll take a short nap. Well, off to finish my pancakes and start taking my supplements. NEED MORE WATER!!

Went for an hour bikeride, slow and steady. It was nice to be back on my bike!
    Last edited by fyrespryte; 07-10-2010 at 05:32 AM.

farmerjess is offline Member
    I am glad that you are getting treatment by a good seeming hcp. And for free, too. You totally deserve that, soak it up. That sleep sounds heavenly and like your body really needs it. My tongue has burned off and on with starting this diet too. Do you know what it means? It happened more in the beginning. Pork is now requiring some major stomach acid supping for me.
    Last edited by farmerjess; 07-10-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Hi farmerjess! Yeah, the doctor visits really are a lifesaver for me right now. I'm a little worried about the insurance company trying to bite me in the ass in the end, but trying not to stress over it too much. I can already tell that I'm feeling better. Not miles, but at this point I'm happy with baby steps. And this doctor is pretty much the only one in the whole state that I trust.

The tongue thing...I'm not really sure. I've had it for a few years on and off. I've tried researching it, but it seems to be one of many conditions where in researching it on the internet I found 67498757385 people all afflicted with the same problem and 0 people with any answers. In my own experience, there is a definite correlation between problems digesting things and it's appearance. At first, it burned all the time. All day long. I believe this is when my problems with hypochlorydria first started but I didn't know it at the time. Soon after the burning started, I started having wicked heartburn problems. It took me probably a year to get that sorted out and once I figured it out and gave my digestion a rest through juice fasting and was digesting my food better...the burning went away. Now though, it's usually (but not always) my first sign that whatever I've eaten isn't digesting well.

I've never really had much of a problem digesting proteins, but I've heard that the drastic increase of them on this diet can be an issue for some people. Are you doing any bone stock/broths? I've heard that those are really good for digestion. I made pork stock out of the broth/bones from country style ribs that was really good.

Dinner last night was a huge primal fail. It seems that I can manage one or two meals, but there always seems to be one meal that's just not in compliance. I had tuna yesterday for lunch.

tuna
    mayo
    black pepper
    lemon pepper
    sauteed onions, sun dried tomatoes and greek salad peppers in bacon fat
    all mixed together, eaten with red pepper strips as a "spoon"

And then there was sushi. Sushi is my one love and the one thing that I did NOT want to have to give up. Up until last night, I've never had a problem digesting it. Sushi always made me feel good after I ate it. I think one of the culprits might have been that one of my rolls was tempura style and as an appetizer I had Gyoza. I'm not sure what they fry this stuff in, but I'm sure it's nothing good. I really need to start asking things like that at the restaurant. It all tasted delicious, but my tummy was sad all night which made for poor sleep. I really think that I have a sensitivity to the oils that they cook/fry with at restaurants. Or something.

I'm going to work on eating all primal foods today, starting with those pancakes I have in there for breakfast.

I want to go for a bikeride, but it's 12:30 and I think I might melt if I do.

I've been reading a lot of great nutritional stuff on the site today. Probably going to be looking into supplementing some magnesium soon. Going to look into alternatives to pills though...already taking way too many. Need to figure out how to reduce the amount of supplements I'm taking. Getting a little overwhelmed with nutrition actually. There are so many people here SO well educated about different supplements. It's a lot to take in, and I wonder how much of what I'm learning now will be contradicted by the education I'll be getting when I start my nutrition classes? I also need to figure out a way to absorb and remember this information, instead of read and forget it. That's the key to learning. I'm distracting myself from being low functioning with reading, but because I'm low functioning, I'm not remembering a lot of what I read. That doesn't do me any good.

Well, hanging out with friends tonight. That's my "fun" for the day. Maybe clean the house a little bit for some slow and steady movement. Hopefully the grumpies that I woke up with last night after my nap will be gone today. We'll see. Still have homework to do for tonight.

farmerjess is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrespryte View Post
    I've never really had much of a problem digesting proteins, but I've heard that the drastic increase of them on this diet can be an issue for some people. Are you doing any bone stock/broths? I've heard that those are really good for digestion. I made pork stock out of the broth/bones from country style ribs that was really good.
    Hmm, well low stomach acid will automatically make you not digest proteins correctly. Food sensitivities are basically caused by proteins (from any food) that are not properly digested that are leaking into the bloodstream where they ought not to be. As far as the pork thing, the stomach acid helps me digest the animal fat content which I have problems with. I am pretty sure it's because if the content of your stomach is acidic enough it triggers bile and enzyme release in the small intestine which will help digest the fat. Interestingly I eat pork almost everyday for breakfast and usually get a little stomachache lately if I don't take HCl with it, but today I made a stew with onions and bone broth out of the leftover grease and I felt really great afterwards. I don't understand the mechanism for how that works, but there's definitely something to it. I am going to try to incorporate broth into as many meals as I can now.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrespryte View Post
    . I really think that I have a sensitivity to the oils that they cook/fry with at restaurants. Or something.

I've been reading a lot of great nutritional stuff on the site today. Probably going to be looking into supplementing some magnesium soon. Going to look into alternatives to pills though...already taking way too many. Need to figure out how to reduce the amount of supplements I'm taking. Getting a little overwhelmed with nutrition actually. There are so many people here SO well educated about different supplements. It's a lot to take in, and I wonder how much of what I'm learning now will be contradicted by the education I'll be getting when I start my nutrition classes? I also need to figure out a way to absorb and remember this information, instead of read and forget it. That's the key to learning. I'm distracting myself from being low functioning with reading, but because I'm low functioning, I'm not remembering a lot of what I read. That doesn't do me any good.

Well, hanging out with friends tonight. That's my "fun" for the day. Maybe clean the house a little bit for some slow and steady movement. Hopefully the grumpies that I woke up with last night after my nap will be gone today. We'll see. Still have homework to do for tonight.

I am super sensitive to oil in restaurants too. The oils used in Mexico and Costa Rica actually knocked me out with fever, listlessness, and extreme abdominal pain. So weird...

Keep reading the nutritional stuff. I think every little thing we read sinks in even if we don't remember all the details. What classes are you taking? I am going to start a holistic nutrition program sometime in the next year. Not sure which one yet.