Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Yikes! Resistant starch bad? page

  1. #1
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,933

    Yikes! Resistant starch bad?

    I think this article is premature, incomplete BS: The Link Between Carbs, Gut Microbes, and Colon Cancer - Pacific Standard: The Science of Society

    “We know it depends on bacteria, and we know it depends on carbs,” says Alberto Martin, an associate immunology professor at the University of Toronto and one of the authors of the study. “This is the part of the study that’s still not solid, but we think that butyrate is somehow fueling the hyperproliferation of colon epithelial cells.” Other metabolites of carbohydrates might also be involved, he says. “It would be naïve to think it’s only butyrate.”

    The phyla of bacteria inhabiting mouse guts resembles that in human intestines, which suggests the findings could be relevant for human health. And that suggests that you could protect yourself from colon cancer by taking the same potent cocktail of targeted antibiotics, including ampicillin, metronidazole, neomycin, and vancomycin, that were fed to the mice.
    Wow! It actually suggested gut sterilization. I think there's some bad science happening here. After all the recent developments and realizations in gut bacteria, butyrate, and Colistridia, this seems suspect.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  2. #2
    eats.meats.west's Avatar
    eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    953
    From the end of that article:
    A change in diet would be a better approach than taking prophylactic antibiotics.

    “Reducing carb intake might be an approach to reducing the incidence of this type of colon cancer,” Martin says. But “before we declare war on carbs,” he warns that it would be important to undertake similar studies in humans—not just mice. “We’re really only beginning to learn about these things.”

  3. #3
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,933
    Quote Originally Posted by eats.meats.west View Post
    From the end of that article:
    A change in diet would be a better approach than taking prophylactic antibiotics.

    “Reducing carb intake might be an approach to reducing the incidence of this type of colon cancer,” Martin says. But “before we declare war on carbs,” he warns that it would be important to undertake similar studies in humans—not just mice. “We’re really only beginning to learn about these things.”
    Yeah, it just seems like the whole article is alarmist in nature and premature.
    Last edited by j3nn; 10-11-2014 at 12:12 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  4. #4
    canuck416's Avatar
    canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sebastopol, CA
    Posts
    1,346
    I would think that calling the article premature, incomplete BS is a little over the top. Published articles in the Cell journal are legit science, so the mice studies simply indicate further human studies would be warranted as was stated in the last paragraph.

  5. #5
    tatertot's Avatar
    tatertot is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    637
    That article discusses a specific type of hereditary colon cancer. It has no meaning outside that context. Mark Sisson looked at it, and I looked at him looking at it.
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849


    Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

  6. #6
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,933
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    I would think that calling the article premature, incomplete BS is a little over the top. Published articles in the Cell journal are legit science, so the mice studies simply indicate further human studies would be warranted as was stated in the last paragraph.
    Not the study itself, the article's interpretation and sensationalism of it. It has buzz words laced throughout it that undermine the recent understanding of the importance of SFA and the fibers that feed them.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  7. #7
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,933
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    That article discusses a specific type of hereditary colon cancer. It has no meaning outside that context. Mark Sisson looked at it, and I looked at him looking at it.
    Yep. The article and its headline doesn't really put enough emphasis on this being specific and instead sloppily makes it sound like carbs = colon cancer.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •