Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making babies Primal style page 2

Gumdrop is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thank you all,

This all makes sense, I seem to be making a good few rookie mistakes. Firstly I struggle with calculating the protein weight as FarmerJess you say that all the meat I ate only came to 93g. What calculations do you use please as that seems to be a major reason why I am getting confused. I seem to think I can only have 100g nett per day.

I have figured out that conventional 'wisdom' has done me a serious misservice - who do I sue?? I struggle with the concept that if I eat more I will lose weight a lot easier and not get nasty side effects. Reading some other posts I think I have come up with an options. What do you think:-
    Breakfast - 1 rasher bacon, 1 boiled egg, 5g goji berries = 150cals
    Lunch - 59g tinned slamon (a tin), 1 cup mixed salad 10g avocado = 113cals
    Dinner - 100g meat and salad or steamed veg = max 300cals
    1 cup of coffee a day, NO diet cola, NO sugar free sweeties
    Lots and lots of water
    Also 3x1000mg fishoil capsules, 3x600mg calcium plus (d, manganese, zinc, copper magnesium), Healthy bacteria capsule thing (you know the ones that have to live in the fridge). and an executive vitamin B (only because I am so very, very tired.)
    Will I lose weight on this?? What a strange concept to eat loads of meat and be skinny - I love it. How son will I see results?

I have my hypno session last night and that is what I think I need. It is very hard as I am so use to thinking that heavy calorie restriction will equal results, however all I am doing is getting horrific sugar cravings, general cravings and no sleep. This needs to change.

Today my menu has gone out of the window something shocking.
    Breakfast - 1 kiwi, 5g goji berries
    Mid morning meeting with those nutritionalists (these people, why are they so thin!!) yep, once again the same old came out. I thought I could be strong but no found I had a hand to mouth movement that just happened. I feel so betrayed by my body. I would say about 200g of dark choc and about three hands ful of biscuits. Do you know the worse thing??? It didn't satisfy me, I didn't walk away thinking there was no room in my belly for any more food today. I started to think that I had eatten way too much and started to panic and figured that if I didn't eat for the rest of the day that I could recover from this attrocious behaviour. then at 1pm I decided to make a consciencous decision to start being pro-active. I got some meatloaf with bacon and some roast beef from the canteen. I was surprised, I only managed a third of my lunch so I tubbed up the rest for tomorrow. I have not rejected food for years. I don't think you realise. I have spent the last few years of my life in a permanent state of hunger, however until now I never realised it. I don't think I could eat another thing, may be even ever (okay that is over kill but you get the idea). Also I am reaching for the wter bottle. I am thirsty and I recognise that I am thirsty.
    Dinner - I actually can't think about dinner. I had planned to do 100g pork fillet with some steamed veg but I am still so ful that I just can't think about food. This is truely awesome.

I think I have just had an apithany. Oh I hope this works. Thank you every one.

xxxx

Thank you everyone.

I was surprised at lunch by how satisfying the meatloaf was. Then for my dinner I made a bolognesse salad (minced / ground beef, onions and mushrooms cooked in bolognesse sauce then put on a cup of salad). This rocked my world and totally filled me up. This is proof that the lack of calories (as noted before) is not doing me any favours.

Tomorrow I am doing this thing properly. I am hitting the eggs and bacon, then for lunch the left over meatloaf and dinner will be a pork stir fry. I am reading the Primal Blueprint and there is one thing that I keep getting stuck on, the figures. I like structure in my eatting habits it makes me feel 'safe' therefore when I workout ratios, etc I get stuck as this is what I calculate:-
    Protein = 68g
    Fat = 170g
    Carb = 34g
    By my calculation this means I can have one egg a day and no more protein, then one avocado a day and no more fats and topped of with a stick of celery. This can't be right. Where am I going wrong please.

I have to change my lifestyle, I want to change my lifestyle to get the results that I want. My previous attempts have been unsuccessful as I followed conventional wisdom. Now is the time to do the real stuff.

If any one can offer advise on my calculations that would be great. In fact if anyone can offer any advise that would be tops as you have already experienced what I am about to do. As of tomorrow I am 100% paleo, bring on the bacon!

xxxx

farmerjess is offline Member
    Tomorrow's meal plan sounds great!! I think someone else explained the macronutrient calculations in your other thread, do you understand now? 68g is the size of an egg, but its not all protein, most eggs have about 6 grams of protein, so in your example you'd have to eat 11-12 eggs to get your protein. Also avocados have around 20 grams fat, so you would eat 8-9 avocados worth of fat. Celery has hardly any carbs, so you could eat lbs of that. Obviously you want a more diverse diet than that.

Can I ask why you want to limit your carbs to 34 grams a day? I would suggest staying in the 50-100 range while you are starting the diet so that you can feel really good on it. I would again advise you to stay away from IFing until you feel like you absolutely need to not eat. Your body needs a ton of optimum nourishment right now and I think that you need to stay far far away from depriving yourself of healthy food.

Also, I saw your current and goal weights on the other thread and looked them up. Your current weight is well within the normal healthy weight limit for your height. You are not fat, lady. Your goal weight is borderline underweight. That is not a healthy goal. If you are looking to tone up and gain muscle with crossfit you will more than likely not want to get down that low. That weight at your height would be all skin and bones. If that's the look you are going for then you'd want to rethink this diet and crossfit because they both build mega muscle and muscle is heavy. I believe Batty weighs in at 155 at 5'6" and she is skinny and totally ripped, and wears a size 6. If you wind up gaining weight on this diet, it will most likely be muscle, and that's good! Also, since you are of normal weight you are not going to lose as quickly as the other people here who are recovering from obesity.

So let your goals be to become healthy and strong.

How much zinc are you taking? Some anorexia is linked with zinc deficiency. You might try taking extra. I have read that taking 30mg/day is safe. And as far as your calcium level, I would focus more on getting enough vit d (so 5000-6000iu/day if you don't get full exposure midday sun) and vitamin K2 (in shellfish, pastured butter and cream, organ meats or supplements), and magnesium. Those will help your body absorb and use Calcium.
    Adding minerals wherever I can.

Hello all,

Yesterday I did the proper paleo thing.
    Breakfast - 1 rasher bacon, 1 egg, 1/4 avocado 5g goji berries
    Snack - 100g roast beef
    Lunch - Thai chicken curry (however I picked only the meat out and drained all the sauce)
    Dinner - Pork Stirfry, some strawberries

I am amazed that I felt full after eatting. In fact when it came to dinner I wasn't hungry at all, however I knew that if I didn't eat something that I ran the risk of making myself extra hungry and then opting for a non paleo quick fix (the sugar monster). That was the other thing, I went to a morning meeting and there were all kinds of sweet treats on offer but I was not interested in them. In fact it wasn't until I left the meeting did I notice them - it was at that point that I develed into the roast beef (a far better option than sweeties and chocolate).

Last night I slept like I have never slept before. Eleven hours and I am still tired, but I think this is due to my body purifying itself from all the absolute pooh I use to eat.

Today menu looks like:
    Breakfast - 1 rasher bacon, 1 egg, 5g goji berrie (oh I forgot my avocado, whoops)
    Snack - 3 x 59g tins of salmon in spring water
    Lunch - I don't know yet, see what the canteen has to offer or if I am hungry
    Dinner - 125g chicken pattie, 1 cup salad

I am really liking this so far. I don't feel any self hatred for eatting any of this food as I know it is all good stuff and I feel full. Another thing is that i never have snacks, however I am listening to my body and eatting when it is hungry.

SUCCESS*** Today I managed to get on a skirt I hadn't worn for a few weeks. I know it is early days but I am wearing clothing that makes me feel good and well... I feel good. I have decided that I don't care what weight I am as long as I can fit nicely into my pink shorts. When I wear these shorts I feel so amazingly good and that is my goal. At this rate it won't be long.

I am doing the food shop tonight and I pondered about buying some real dark chocolate. I think I will as that way if I need it it is there, otherwise it can sit in the fridge. I figure this way I am setting myself up for success as I am taking into consideration that I may get a craving and instead of hating myself for that craving I can feed my body just a little bit to tide it over.

Reading what you have been saying about getting myself right before a baby I think is a good idea. As much as I want to do the family thing right away if I am not healthy then all kinds of bad could happen. I really want to start a family though. This is a tough one, the sooner I am better then the sooner my body will naturally fall pregnant. I just want my bacon and eat it as well!

Well have a great weekend everyone. I am planning on taking the dog to the beach and having loads of plays (got to watch out for crocs though)

xxxx
    Last edited by Gumdrop; 07-15-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Hello all,

Yesterday when I got home I thought I would splurge and I had some avocado and some bacon with my chicken pattie. Mmm what a lovely combination. Also there was nothing worth eatting at the canteen so I went without, the salmon was enough anyway.

Today I stepped out from the norm again
    Breakfast - 1 rasher bacon, 1 fried egg(yes, you read correct Fried), 1 grilled mushroom and 1 grilled tomatoe, 5g goji berries
    Lunch - 1 small tin light tuna in springwater and 1 cup salad
    Dinner - steak in fajita spices, salad

I managed to take the dog for a walk this morning, it is so nice to see the sun breaking through the trees on the golf course. An hour stroll and I felt on top of the world. I may be pushing it but what the heck, I am just about to take the dog to the beach for an hours doggie play date. I love the fresh air that whips up at the beach especially when the sun is beating down.

Oh speaking of the sun beating down, yesterday I went and sat outside in the sun for about ten minutes. Admittedly it was only ten minutes but I never take a break from my desk. It was nice to sit and just relax. I am trying to talk my husband into doing some 'forest bathing' as there is a very nice rainforest near us that we can safely wander around - remember snakes, crocs, etc, etc, etc.

I am going to a restaurant on Tuesday for a celebration. I have managed to get a copy of the menu before hand and have figured out the most paleo option. I don't wish to fall of the wagon this early not when I am feeling so positive about my lifestlye change.

Also I didn't get the dark chocolate when i went shopping, I read the ingredients and thought that may be I don't need it. So far I haven't had a craving at all (other than coffee and diet cola) but no cravings for sugary stuff.

I am very content. Thank you all.

xxxx

Hello all,

I did a bit of a naughty thing today. I could resist it I jumped on the scales. Strike me!! I had lost 2kg/4.4lbs. I actually expected to have put on weight as i have had to take some heavy duty painkillers and have been eatting way more than I am use to. My clothing was more comfy and I have lost weight - I have a very happy girl.

I started taking some pre-pregnancy vitamins today to give my body the best optimal chance.

Check out todays offerings, note dinner - that is easily four times what I am use to eatting, i am stuffed and so very satisified.
    Breakfast - 1 egg, 1 rasher of bacon, 1 mushroom, 1 tomatoe, 5g goji berries (I can't be bothered frying my eggs, I prefer my egg and bacon cooked int he microwave)
    Lunch - 1 kiwi, 1 small tinned salmon in springwater
    Dinner - 1 cup salad, 2 boiled eggs, 2 rashers of bacon
    I am so very happy and now can quieten my mind that I have made the right choice. I won't weigh myself again for at least a week, that would be self destructive.

Thank you all.

xxxx

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Hey Victoria,

The other thing I notice that probably significantly impacts your fatigue is your low potassium and magnesium intake. Please see my potassium doc linked below as well as krispin.com for her potassium and magnesium information.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Argh frustration. I just got mid way through making a massive post when I logged out in error.

Today I am trying not to kick myself, I should have planned far better than this but I didn't and look what happened:-
    Mid night snack - roast beef, dijonnaise, kiwi
    Breakfast - 1 egg, 1 bacon, 5g goji berries
    Snack - 3 x small tins salmon
    Lunch - the canteen had nothing but chips and rolls so I found myself with a bar of dark chocolate - which I ate all 200g of it
    Dinner - Salmon, 1 cup salad

I am trying to be positive about the dark chocolate bar. There was nothing else on offer and no other shops near, I weakened due to hunger (oh I am so very hungry today). I cracked open the chocolate and just found myself nibbling quite happily. I actually did hit my limit (with about two chunks left). If I had planned far better I would have been one step ahead. Also once a month for about a week my muscles spasm, I think this is from a mineral deficency of some type but with everything I take and eat I thought I would have had that covered. Any way I haven't managed to sleep as the muscle spasming (which doesn't normaly bother me) hurts when you have two broken elbows. I have been getting up in the middle of the night to take pain killers (which I really don't want to do) and then find myslef seated on the sofa until they kick in. Currently I am taking 500mcg folate, 1000mg fish oil, probiotic, 1800mg elemental calcium which also includes 600IU vitamin D, zinc, copper, magnessium and manganese as well as an Executive B which contains 75mg B1,10mg B2, 100mg nictotinamide, 68.7mg B5, 25mg B6, 30Ug B12, 145mg calcium ascorbate, 250mg vitamin C, 50IU vitamin E, 140mg magnesium phosphate, 100mg calcium phosphate, 117.3mg potassium phosphate monobasic, 150Ug folate, 250mg oats extract (not primal but the best I could do), 100mg passion flower, 50mg lecithin, 25mg choline bitartrate, 25mg inositol. Where am I going wrong??

Thank you all for your kind thoughts, your tough love and your honest responces.

Thank you kindly.

xxxx

Okay, I am a walking eating machine. I thought I had this under control but I am so frigin hungry it isn't natural. All I managed to find was some more dark chocolate and some fish bites. Not good. What a bad day. I am really battling with dropping back into an old habit of laxative abuse, however I haven't done this for some time and I don't want to start. Don't worry by teling you about it I am putting myself in a position where I can't do it. Focus on my goals, ignore my bad days. As the pschy says it is like sun bathing some days you have to wait for the clouds to pass before you can enjoy the glorous sun. Oh I do hope I haven't gone backwards today. Oh pooh, I am really angry at myself. I have all these plans wating in the side lines for days like today and I never employed oe of them. Okay on the positive side I have learnt a great deal from today. No more dark chocolate for me as I can not stop at one peice, lots of planning before hand, i.e make sure I have enough good stuff on hand and if I get the munchies and it is genuinely the munchies then it is okay as long as i eat the good stuff, no good stuff the no eat, hence the planning. Oh I could just scream so very angry at myself and more to the point utterly disappointed. How many days have I been doing this and I fall of the wagon now? Well time o dust myself off and give myself a good shake. Lets get back on the PB horse!!

I could make reasons for my poor mindset, but that would just be excuses. Oh angry, so very angry. I figure I have eaten about 3000cals today, humm!!

xxxx

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay. This is odd, I got home and put on my gym gear to for a walk with my husband and dog and my gym gear was more comfy than normal. My muffin top was reduced. How is this considering all I have eatten? Did my body need the calorie boost? I don't intend to question it, I also don't intend to do sweet things again. Firstly I felt the sudden increase in my heart beat, my viens becoma very enlarged and visual, I was a bit spaced out and skitty, the dark chocolate gave me an upset stomach and well I didn't enjoy any of it. So now more sweet stuff. I suppose I had to make the mistake to remember the reason why.

Tomorrow is my birthday and I am going to a really nice resturant, the menu is below.
    ENTREE
    House Baked Dukkah Cob
    served with confit garlic clove, Pendleton extra virgin olive oil and 10 year old aged Balsamic

Pee Wee’s Taste Plate
    A gourmet tour of our Chefs entrees
    For 2 | 38
    For 3 | 57

Tasmanian Atlantic Salmon (GF*)
    stained smoked salmon on poppyseed blinis with marinated fetta, textures of beetroot
    and a wild rocket and ruby grapefruit salad
    17 | 34

Prosciutto Wrapped Roast Chicken Roulade (GF)
    stuffed with braised field mushrooms, baby spinach on spiced honey pumpkin puree
    17 | 34

Soused Local Seafood Salad (GF)
    local seafood with a green paw paw and lychee salad, finger lime cocktail sauce
    and salmon pearls
    23 | -

Braised Beef Cheek
    red wine, thyme and roast garlic braised beef cheek, served with Yorkshire pudding,
    green pea puree and horseradish cream
    20 | 40

Salt and Pepper Fried Chilli Soft Shell Mud Crab (GF*)
    wild caught (imported) soft shell crab served with an avocado, nori and picked herb salad
    with chilli coconut caramel
    19 | 38

Char Grilled Quail Breast (GF*)
    with dehydrated cranberry, coriander and pickled cucumber salad and a
    pomegranate dressing topped with eggplant chips
    19 | 38

MAIN COURSE

Apple Glazed Pork Belly (GF)
    with char grilled asparagus spears, Spring Bay scallops, potato puree and crisp pork rind

Spiced Pan Roasted Wild Caught Saltwater Barramundi Fillet (GF)
    on saffron mash with steamed bok choy and crispy shallots, black sesame & tomato salsa
    and native finger lime

Double Roasted Duckling (GF)
    on buttered baby spinach, preserved lemon and kipfler potatoes with citrus master stock

Seared Lavender Salt Lamb Fillet (GF)
    with mustard green beans and a cucumber & mint yoghurt

Char Grilled Kangaroo Tenderloin Fillet (GF)
    marinated in Tandoori spices on sweet potato, braised black beluga caviar lentils, mango foam
    served with a Dukkah yoghurt ball and Rosella flower

Sautéed Local Tamarind, Lime & Ginger Prawns (GF)
    served in a crispy wonton basket with coconut jasmine rice and a pineapple and coriander salad
    with house made chilli jam

Certified Australian Black Angus Beef Tenderloin (275 gram cut) (GF*)
    with potato and prosciutto galette, onion and red wine cinnamon jam
    and Pee Wee’s Shiraz jus

Fresh Fish of the Day
    | MP

VEGETARIAN

Thyme Roasted Portobello Mushroom (GF)
    stuffed with butternut squash, spinach and onion jam
    17 | 34

Eight Spiced Eggplant, Chickpea & Smoked Raisin Curry (GF)
    with coriander and lemon gremolata and curry crumble
    16 | 32

Panko Coated Zucchini & Tempura Cauliflower
    with horseradish dressing and beetroot glaze
    16 | 32

SIDE DISHES
    Rocket, Pear & Parmesan Salad (GF)
    with white balsamic dressing

Sautéed Green Beans (GF)
    with flaked almonds

Wok Charred Seasonal Vegetables (GF*)
    with sweet soy and sesame oil

Buttered Kipfler Potatoes (GF)
    with a rosemary, pistachio, black sea salt praline

DESSERT
    Pee Wees ‘Chocolate Slut’
    rich Belgium chocolate genache pudding on a hazelnut tuille
    with chocolate jelly and vanilla anglaise truffle

Vanilla Bean Crème Bruleè (GF*)
    with cocoa biscotti and white balsamic strawberry compote

Rum & Raisin Sticky Date Pudding (GF)
    with vanilla & lavender ice cream and burnt butterscotch sauce

Citrus Crepe
    with Cointreau orange sauce and coconut ice cream

Trio of Sorbets (GF*)
    served with wattleseed tulip

Dessert Taste Plate
    A gourmet tour of our Chefs selection of desserts
    For 2 | 32
    For 3 | 48

I have decided that no dessert is needed and that I am going to have a starter and a main. But what to have?
    I am thinking the soused seafood for starters but then I can't decide between the braise beef cheek or the quail, but then there is the pork belly (hold the potatoe stuff though). Mmmm they all look so good, I will see what the husband orders and then take it from there. The desserts look nice but they actually don't interest me. Then again after my self induced diabetic coma from all the dark choc I have eatten today I think I have safely managed to turn myself off the sweet stuff.

Trying to ignore today and focusing on the positive.

xxxx

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast