Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Primal Odyssey page

My Primal Odyssey

Primal Fuel
    ((Edit: Overall I'm still very new to all of this stuff, so any advice is always welcome! I'm here to learn and grow!))

==========================
    Well, this is the beginning.
    *stands up*
    My name is Christina, and I'm a recovering vegan (and am also super long-winded).
    *sits down*

For as long as I can remember I've been drawn to healthy living (even though I've far from always followed it). I was raised by my grandparents who always taught me to do what I was passionate about, even if the only support I had was theirs. After spending time with, what I thought were, our pet chickens -- I was told it was time. We had raised them from eggs and they were completely free-to-roam and the only supplemental food we gave them was grown from our own garden. And now it was time to kill and eat them. I didn't have to watch it happen, but I knew it was happening. Then not long after that, a factory farm moved next door to my other grandparents. Eventually, after refusing to move, my grandfather got very sick. While the doctors wouldn't say it was from living next to poop-lagoons, I felt differently (and still do). So at the early age of eleven years old I decided that I was grossed out by animal "production", I announced I was going vegetarian. I stuck to my guns for 7 years when I went a step further and announced I was then going vegan.

That's when things got complicated.
    First of all, I was what I refer to as an "Oreo Vegan." I lived off vegan convenience foods, frozen veggie burgers, and whatnot. I have always loved fruits and vegetables, so I did have them in my diet -- but to say that they were the foundation of my supposed "plant-based" diet is laughable. During this time I met my (now ex-)husband, who thought the whole thing was a crock. We eventually had two beautiful children together. When I found out I was pregnant with my first, I began eating meat and everything again. I ate pretty healthy, but after he was born I found myself falling into the craze of "low fat, low sugar." Everyone talked about how thin and athletic I was, but the truth was that I felt awful. I felt deprived with my eating habits, always felt sluggish, and had total brain fog. I decided it was because of meat and dairy, so I went back to being vegan. Shortly after I found out that I was pregnant with my daughter, and I had a completely vegan pregnancy as well. I felt better, but I was still eating crap! I got my body back and eventually things didn't work out with my ex- and I.

Fast-forward, right before meeting my husband (we will celebrate five years next year...yay!) I dropped it all again and began eating the worst I had ever eaten -- completely SAD diet. I was living on pizzas, fast food, energy drinks, and soda. I was staying up all night long to play video games. And I managed a local hookah lounge and spent most of my nights in the smoke-filled room, sometimes smoking up to 5 hookahs by myself over the course of the night. After meeting my husband we decided to have a child, so I got back on the healthy bandwagon. I was eating well, and after he was born I decided to try primal!

I loved it, I felt great! I kept things up for about two months, but managed to find myself sliding back into veganism because frankly -- it was what I had more experience with. I mean, I had been vegetarian or vegan for over a decade (on and off). This time I actually did things "right" (you know what I mean) and ate very healthy. Other than the occasional indulgence I had been eating mostly beans and veggies, tofu, etc. Not a bunch over over-processed mess. I really delved in head first and began working with a vegan company, administrating a vegan forum, and began connecting with vegans from around the country. Before I knew it I had not only spoken to, but met and became friends with, some very big names in the vegan community. I was on Cloud 9 about things, but at the same time I didn't feel healthy. My eyes looked sunken in, I gained 15 pounds in a short amount of time (I was eating healthy, but a LOT of food!), I had no energy, and um...I was having some major trouble with my "#2s." It's hard to look at myself these days and realize that I'm 30+ pounds over my ideal weight.

I decided last week to sit down and really write out how I felt, and go over my past and decide when I felt the best and how I wanted to continue from this point on. It was easy -- primal. I had felt so much better when I eat primal, but it's hard to switch to something you're not familiar with. Especially not now, in the face of having immersed myself so deeply in the vegan community. To counter things I decided to connect with others living this lifestyle (as well as paleo) and even found a few locals who are primal and said they would love to help be a support system for me. So with that...I'm on day two. I had a hard time getting in enough calories yesterday because the food was so satiating, I'm used to eating almost continuously because of not feeling full. I was actually over-eating during my veganism because of that. And just to throw in, the reason I'm counting calories is that I'm currently working on fat-loss (not weight loss, the scale lies haha) and am wanting to keep an eye on things.

Also, since my family is on a very tight budget (yay for three birthdays and three holidays in three months lol) I am going to eat as much organic and grassfed as I can -- but I also won't beat myself up if I have to choose conventional for some things.

I'm going to try to remember to update here at least once per week, preferably more. Let's get started shall we?

(EDIT: For the sake of making a note of it. I have 5'5 and 160 pounds. My more optimal weight is closer to 130.)
    Last edited by OfStarsAndSquid; 10-10-2014 at 11:23 AM.

DAY 1

*I wasn't happy about using the pre-made taco seasoning mix (especially when you see the sodium -- eek!), but I was running later than I had planned and hadn't made up any myself yet. I woke up this morning and remedied this by tossing the Old El Paso and making some of my own that I put in my spice cabinet. Problem solved.

*As I mentioned in my original post, I am having trouble eating enough calories because the food is so filling. I'm going to work on this a lot in the upcoming weeks.

*I'm finding it hard to reach my fat goals. I have my macros at 65/15/20 (Fat/Protein/Carbs), is this a good way to have things? I know that I don't necessarily need to hit any certain macros, but I do best when I kind of keep an eye on things and these were the numbers given to me by a friend who does primal and works out as much as I do...so figured I'd start there?

Day 2

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Attached Images Attached Images

Day 3

I'm seeing from my tracking for today that I'm having an issue not only hitting the calorie level I'd like to be at...but also having enough fats in my diet. I'm going to make some buttermints tonight (fat bombs) and go from there. They should also help me with getting my calories up a bit without adding more carbohydrates and protein. We'll see!

Day 4

Day 5
    Ate more refined sugar than I'd prefer, but it happens and tomorrow is a new day. Still haven't made those buttermints, need to do that soon.

shuttlebug is online now Senior Member
    Do you have a recipe for the buttermints? Sounds yummy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by shuttlebug View Post
    Do you have a recipe for the buttermints? Sounds yummy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Yep! http://empoweredsustenance.com/stop-sugar-cravings/
    I use the all butter one and make the chocolate version (so just butter, cacao, and raw honey). If you scroll down all the way to the bottom (at least for now) the comment by Christina H is me and I break down the nutrition info. Also, piping them from a bag is a pain in the rear, I just use candy molds from Michaels that are like two bucks each

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Day 6

I just realized it put Tyson chicken with my snack, it was definitely not Tyson. I think I chose the wrong thing on the mobile app, but oh well. The casserole that, yes, I ate for all three meals was a buffalo chicken and cauliflower casserole. Just cauliflower, chicken, homemade buffalo sauce, a small amount of cheese, and small amount of bacon. Had a pretty boring day yesterday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast