Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keto Rage!! Grrrr page

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member

Angry Keto Rage!! Grrrr

The experiment -- ketosis for the rest of the year (three months). Why -- to lose body fat, and see how I react to long periods of ketosis. At the end of the year will assess body fat and blood markers.

I've been paleo for almost two years now (60-80g carb range, almost entirely from vegetables). A year ago I did a two week trial of keto + 8x8 sets + calorie deficit. Results were truly remarkable and the change happened fast (great skin, eyes, hair, lean muscle, lowest body fat % of my adult life). The flat stomach effect was the most noticeable change. However, it was difficult to stay on keto as it required watching carbs, protein, and alcohol constantly.

Now I'm going to try a more sustained experiment. So far (it's only been a week) it has been the same experience as last time -- 1) body fat especially around the belly seems to be decreasing rapidly, 2) zero sensation of hunger so I'm eating a lot less, 3) more alert, 4) less sleep required, and 5) keto rage LOL! The term "keto rage" is used for fun, it's more like "keto intensity"; a sustained energy that just goes and goes, and a very slight buzz.

If it becomes uncomfortable I'll end the experiment early, we will see what happens.

perennialpam is online now Senior Member
    Keto curious - would you mind providing a sample of your daily, cals, fat, carbs and protein intake?

Starting with meat (beef, fish, fatty pork, shellfish, eggs, bone broth), vegetable (kale, spinach, seaweed, cabbage, onions, garlic), some coconut or olive oil for cooking, and dry red wine. Zero dairy, grains, starch, nuts, fruit, sugar, beer.

Eating around 1500 calories; 100g fat, 135g protein, 20g carbs. Later I imagine I'll need to add more fat to get up to my maintenance level of 2000 calories, but not hungry this first week.

crogagnon is offline Member
    Do you have any recipes to share? I draw a blank when faced with those vegetables.

bilbo2 is offline Member
    Following with interest, as I do mostly meat + greens myself. Do keep us advised KN!

Yay! Me, too! I started 9/19/14, and started tracking blood ketones 10/1/14. I feel freaking awesome. I'd lost 115 lbs on paleo with carbs under 100g/day. I'm doing under 30g to lose the last 30 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Quote Originally Posted by crogagnon View Post
    Do you have any recipes to share? I draw a blank when faced with those vegetables.
    My cooking style is very primitive, only tool is a cast iron skillet; a steak with some spinach on the side, or steak wrapped in kale leaves, pork with cabbage, duck with leeks. Just meat, a veggie, some herbs and sea salt. For soups I do bone broth and shellfish. Or bone broth and then crack some eggs in. Very simple.

When eating out in Seoul it's usually Korean BBQ; either beef or pork cooked in front of you, then you grab a piece of meat with your chopsticks and wrap it in a leaf (sesame, kale, or lettuce), insert garlic, onions, or spicy paste. And then they have a dozen veggie side dishes too.

Orange is offline Member
    Will also be monitoring this thread with interest.

KimchiNinja, what website or tool do you use to calculate the carbohydrate contents of your vegetables?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange View Post
    KimchiNinja, what website or tool do you use to calculate the carbohydrate contents of your vegetables?
    I use the Myfitnesspal app on the iPhone.

Last time I did keto I went right to the edge on carbs (around 45g), and so had to weight everything or else bye bye ketosis. But this time I'm going lower (around 20g) because it's easier that way; I just grab some spinach or whatever veggie from the fridge and there's no way I'm going to hit 50g and fall out of ketosis on small amounts of green/white veggies, which leaves wiggle room for a glass of wine or whatever.

One of my main issues with keto last time was the annoying precision measuring required of both carbs and protein. Who wants to do that for months? So now my rule is "1lb meat, plus a little bit of veggie, and a glass of wine, per day". Keep it simple. Checking the keto strips and that seems to be working so far. But I'm going to do some more tests on the wine and see if it kicks me out.
    Last edited by KimchiNinja; 10-07-2014 at 08:01 AM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I figure you probably know this, but just in case... If the nightly glass of wine is more relaxation than anything else, a shot or two of clear spirits has no carbs. Some whiskeys also have zero carbs if clear spirits aren't your thing.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast